• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is your "oh Sh*t" moment?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, I haven't been able read all these posts but after seeing HawkerRider's post, I had to put down my 'near' bowel movement experience.

I was on the returning leg of a solo X-Country in a C-152 on one of those days where I had about a 35kt headwind. Halfway back I got the sudden 'urge' but figured I could hold it for the remainder of the trip. I was looking down watching cars pass me on the highway I was flying parallel too and knew it was going to take much longer than I was able to hold it. The sad part is that I was sitting there trying to figure out how I could stick my as* out the window to relieve myself while still flying the airplane. After some consideration I decided that it might be hard to explain to the FBO owners and my instructor why there was sh*t strewn down the side of the airplane. I wound up diverting to another field and barely made it inside. My as* muscles hurt for days from that clenching....

Lets see,
Being at 300' AGL, sitting in the TSO seat of an SH-60F and realizing that we are out of turns and saying to myself..."This is going to hurt". And, it did...

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

some of these things are darn funny though!

time for my "oh sh*t moment"

We were flying home empty in the lear 24, I was a co-pilot. There were some thunderstorms arounr our airoprt, but we came in on the runway that didn't have an instrument approach published, besides Circle from an approach on the opposite runway. We were being vctored for the ILS and dodging around clouds. After getting below the clouds we saw the runway, an being very familiar with this area we requested a visual from that point. Well we got cleared for the visual. We saw that there was activity a few miles down the runway, but the runway itself was dry, and no activity really close, so we thought. we figured to put the plane on the ground and after shutdown the rain might have reached the airport.

Upon touchdown, no problem, so we Aero-brake with the nose up, and all of the sudden we HIT this huge wall of water. We are not able to see out of the windshield anymore. we have had some rain but this was the mother of all of them!! Captain Firewalls the throttles and I quickly hit the flaps up one notch and turn Air ignition on. We are away from the concrete ( or grass we can't see anymore...) in just a second. Positive rate...gear comes up w climb out with V2+10 max power on the engines, and we get about 1000'/min climb out of the good old lear.

Now this might sound like no problem for some of you propdrivers, but with our fuelload and being empty we should see at least the IVSI max out!!!! my captain yells "check if there is something wrong here!!" I run through the cockpit and don't notice anything that shouldn't be... so we keep climbing and get out of the cell around 2500' talk to approach quickly and we circle around for the cell to dissapear, which it didn't quickly enough so we diverted to the next big airport and hung around there for a while.

We must have been caught in a downdraft coming from the cell, the fact that we would have seen about 8000'/min with this configuration easily, and only got 1000 means that the downdrat must have been about 7000'/min

NOW that was one lucky thing that day, ANY other airplane and we would have been slammed against the ground.

Don't mess around with nature's fury!!!

p.s. As I was writing this i just realized that my current co-pilot lived through a tornado that took away his whole house, while he was sleeping on his couch. Thashed his whole neighbourhood and made him have I don't know how many stitches and staples in his head.......... I hope he hasn't used up all his luck yet in his lifetime!! better be carefull

M

You're killin' me. I thought I was the only on confused by her odd posts.

I am always in that state while reading her posts, I think "odd" would be somewhat of huge understatement- I can't even imagine the "how" "why" or even the logic behind most of her posts- I dunno anti-> possibly "we" are the ones that are thinking "off the wall"

Just seems a tad "unreal" and possibly that word doesn't even do proper justice-

anyways- I am getting just a tad uneasy reading some of these stories. I think a few may have had St. Peter onboard or looking over the flight and outcome..:D

c h e e r s

3 5 0

Being at 300' AGL, sitting in the TSO seat of an SH-60F and realizing that we are out of turns and saying to myself..."This is going to hurt". And, it did...

Can someone please translate this into fixed wing speak, please? :p

On how much a Private Cert. costs at her flight school:

The Chief CFI's time, 90 hours, aircraft rental of 60 hours, checkride; and pilot supplies including books, headset, flight bag, case, charts, and so on:
90 hours * $100 = $9000 (50 hours flight time, 40 hours ground instruction)
60 hours * $85 = $5100 (60 hours aircraft rental, less if flies more often, or $600 less in other aircraft)
$300 for checkride
$600 for the pilot supplies.
Total = $15,000
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would only hope that this is a complete "joke"? You have really got to be kidding me, I have seen some off the wall stuff but this surely takes the cake.... I have never laughed so hard in my life after reading this, sad thing is that it probably is not a "joke"

Holy smokes just when it couldn't get any funnier-

chief CFI at 700+ - come one, she would get laughed out of the eastern region if she pulled this junk around here-

t o o f u n n y -

3 5 0

am I the only one that is getting many laughs from these posts.?:D

Good question. My gut feeling is no but I'm curious too. OK, back to what I was going to say...

$100/hr for instruction!!!!! For ground instruction????? 50 hrs DUAL flight for private??? 40 hrs ground???? LMAO. Even the big academies aren't close to that kind of reaming.

Can I get some Astroglide with that or does it cost extra?

172driver said:

$100/hr for instruction!!!!! For ground instruction????? 50 hrs DUAL flight for private??? 40 hrs ground???? LMAO. Even the big academies aren't close to that kind of reaming.

Can I get some Astroglide with that or does it cost extra?

And I thought I was doing good getting $30 bucks an hour. I definately have to track this chick down and beg for a job. If I could fly 100 hours a month; THATS 10 GRAND!!!

Where do I sign up????

Can someone please translate this into fixed wing speak, please?

He was auto-rotating (gliding ... for us fixed-wing geeks) after a dual shutdown?

Minh
(R22 Meister)

Latest resources

Back