What is your "oh Sh*t" moment?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Two things jump to mind...

1. Tailplane stall in the Jetstream 31 at 50 AGL on landing due to ice (not much of it either) while still well above ref... the recovery was instant with application of power (which is exactly what makes things worse in most airplanes so again we got lucky) but resulted in a tremendous sink and impact with the runway with us bouncing up into a positive rate climb after pivoting around the main gear and striking the last 6 inches of the tail fin on the ground. Ouch and we even ended up balking into a go-around back into the ice again!

2. I recently lost a blade from we believe the Power Turbine section of the Saab 340B causing a total engine failure at 80 feet AGL on takeoff with a full load of passengers and a jumpseater. Oh yeah... the temp was 94F too! :( Well hell it climbed 300 fpm so I was pleased! :D

C-150 stuck an exhaust valve right after T/O with student, managed to perform an example of prolonged flight in ground effect.

Had an IAI Astra Jet takeoff as we were trying to exit midfield at night at an uncontrolled field. His wintip passed under/inside of our BAe-3100 wingtip. Fella didn't wait for our "all clear".

B-737 combined with weather, too casual CA, and new FO who thought the CA had a plan. Entered some severe WX at FL310 and exited at FL240 with a shattered windshield, radome, beacons, and dinged leading edges.

EMB-145, #2 engine fire at accelleration height after MGTOW.

Great posts all! I gave a WINGS Seminar last night and used some of the stories. It felt great to have an audience on the edge of their seats, not edge of nodding off.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

When the Republicans took back the US senate and Mitt Romney got elected governor of Mass.

Anti-nein,

You're killin' me. I thought I was the only on confused by her odd posts.

Watch out, you'll get a PM from her asking you to stop the "harrasment" like I got when I disagreed with her a few times...

Chunk

Mine would be a few years ago in the Bra"kill"ya. We took off and got a "flap control fault". The captain and I discussed our options and arrived at the decision to do a "zero flap" (technically the flaps were showing O degrees on the left set and 3 degrees on the right set) landing. That would be an overweight landing for the flap setting but it seemed like the safest choice. Upon landing, I lowered the flaps to 15 degrees. The right set went to 45 degrees while the left set stayed at 0 degrees. Obviously that is an uncontrollable configuration while airborne. It also is supposed to be "impossible" to have that kind of assymetry. Oh well.

ANTINEIN, youre my hero!

So we were departing this airport, and all of a sudden, what the heck? Our right wing starts to fall off. No big deal, I am an A&P, so I crawl out there and tape it back on and give the engine an oil change while I am at it. Whew! Averted distaster one more time! Sometimes you have to make sacrifices to deliver a load of dead fish heads to the starving folks in the mountains!

Hey Chunk, I hear she just passed 200 hrs dual given, imagine how confused those students must be. She should buy a lottery ticket, based on how lucky she is to have survived this long. Dont worry, I dont accept PM's. Who comes up with a name like Jedinein anyway?

Would have been funny to see the show at the WINGS seminar comedy night.....who says the FAA has no sense of humor?

This is getting pointless, will someone lock this thread and end it. Now please!

Latest resources

Back