• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is with the HAT argument?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No hat here. It is a matter of control and they look very unprofessional in my view. Simply rude to wear a hat indoors.

Actually, it is proper etiquette to wear a hat indoors as long as it is in a public corridor... such as an airport.

I am not a hat person myself, but at least iron your shirt, and keep your shoes polished! And what's up with the dead cow pilots wear on their backs? A dead cow kept WWI and II aviators protected from the elements back in the day, but the weather in the cockpit on my last flight was 74 degrees with a slight draft out of one of the air vents.

Anybody want to explain why you CARRY it for 4 days then?

You either have the conviction to leave it at home, or you just feel like being a rebel.

A dead cow kept WWI and II aviators protected from the elements back in the day, but the weather in the cockpit on my last flight was 74 degrees with a slight draft out of one of the air vents.

Ever gone out on a 2 week trip that turns in 30 days. Well, some of us have the need to pack light but yet pack for all enviroments. For me a leather jacket is one less piece of clothing I have to drag around and is warmer than most of the trench coats I have owned. Not to mention, I don't look like a flasher when I go out to diner or to bars.

Aren't there more important things to worry about?

Sure there are. But this thread is about hats. At my airline they are required from Oct 15 - Apr 15. Like was previously stated these guys walk around hat in hand, then as soon as they see a CP they put it on. The hat is part of our uniform requirement. Walk around the IAH airport and you'll see them. They stand out like a sore thumb.

Now I've got to get back to important business and see if Sanjaya gets kicked off tonight.

Well . . . . it's always been my experience that the guy who is most concerned about the hat/shoes/uniform/newspaper-reading is almost invariably a lousy pilot. Not always, but certainly often enough to make the connection pretty obvious.

At my airline, the self appointed "Hat Police" is a scab, and the "Shoeshine Police" is a street scab. . . . . go figure.

I also notice that the bald guys tend to like the hat . . . . but what really cracks me up is that most guys are kind of ambivalent about the hat, but the ones who want the hat REALLY want the hat . . . . in a really strange and sad sort of way. The same sort of guy who identifies SO strongly with being an airline pilot that he has little in the way of personality or social skills.

The only guys that should wear hats, in my opinion, are skycaps and bus drivers.

I second this whole statement

I wear my hat 1. because we are supposed to and 2. if I were to put it anywhere else but my head or the hat clip in the cockpit, I'd lose the dang thing.

Take some pride in your appearance, people. If you're supposed to wear the hat... wear it.

Don't get me started on leather jackets... the freight doggies or guys like World are one thing...but if you're gone on a 4 day trip at a major or regional, it's not going to turn into a 30 day trip.

I wear my hat 1. because we are supposed to and 2. if I were to put it anywhere else but my head or the hat clip in the cockpit, I'd lose the dang thing.

Take some pride in your appearance, people. If you're supposed to wear the hat... wear it.

So, in order to take "pride" in your appearance, you must wear a hat? Are you suggesting the pilots who are hatless look unprofessional or take no "pride" in their appearance? Many think the hat looks unprofessional and liken it to something worn by high school educated minimum wage earners. Do you do everything management says you are "supposed" to? If so, the profession will continue to decline. Fight fire with fire and stop acting like a boyscout as it is killing our profession. Management brings a gun to the fight and you bring a hat and your boy scout mentality!

I'm not gonna jump into this childish argument. If the hat is in your uniform policy... wear it.

Properly worn (well fitting, well kept, military style), the hat looks very professional. If you're going to wear it, keep it that way. The hat is a very long tradition- it's not a management thing. We should take pride in our past... our past made alot more money than we do and fought hard for it.

If you want to rebel against management, go in wearing flip flops and shorts.

I'd much rather wear that to work anyways. Let me know how it goes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back