• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is with the HAT argument?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually, being bald almost requires hat usage. It keeps me warm in the Winter, not sunburnt in the Summer, and keeps the rain and weather out of my eyes.

I'm so glad we don't have hats. I don't wanna look like no freakin busdriver!

Iron your shirt, button your jacket and wear your hat. You agreed to do it when you got hired, remember? You want to be treated like a professional, then take the first step, and have some professional pride in your appearance. Regardless of how you feel about it, it does make a difference to the people getting on your jet.

Makes me cringe when I see some dope walking around the terminal with his jacket unbuttoned or with a nasty shirt on.

And a little shoe polish! I see thse guys that look like they rubbed a hershey bar all over thier shoes or worse have brown leather showing. Five bucks plus a tip to the shoe shine stand would go a long way...

It's a simple matter of integrity. You wore your blue suit and red tie to the interview... you told them that you would follow the rules if they would give you the opportunity.

And management told many of us they would fund our retirement. Times change. No hat here. It is a matter of control and they look very unprofessional in my view. Simply rude to wear a hat indoors.

Iron your shirt, button your jacket and wear your hat. You agreed to do it when you got hired, remember? You want to be treated like a professional, then take the first step, and have some professional pride in your appearance. Regardless of how you feel about it, it does make a difference to the people getting on your jet.

Passengers do notice how the uniform looks but could care less if you are wearing a hat. They want a pilot with a pressed shirt, shined shoes, physically fit and a cheap ticket!

I see your point about the hat, but with that said as long as it is expected of me to wear it and I agree to take thier paycheck I should wear it with pride. No matter how much I wish it would go away.

It's a simple matter of integrity. You wore your blue suit and red tie to the interview... you told them that you would follow the rules if they would give you the opportunity.

And management told many of us they would fund our retirement. Times change. No hat here. It is a matter of control and they look very unprofessional in my view. Simply rude to wear a hat indoors.

That's what I teach my kids: Integrity is merely a responsive mechanism. You're allowed to abandon it if someone you know abandons theirs. "Situational Ethics" I think the term is. It's ok to discard ethics in the pursuit of self-actualization.

That's what I teach my kids: Integrity is merely a responsive mechanism. You're allowed to abandon it if someone you know abandons theirs. "Situational Ethics" I think the term is. It's ok to discard ethics in the pursuit of self-actualization.

So its unethical to leave the hat at home? Some of you guys take this hat wearing thing very seriously. Must have receeding hairlines! My favorites are the guys who even wear the hat on the employee bus. Very ethical guys.

At "my house" we made the hat optional. I choose not to wear one.

I thought of throwing it in the trash....but changed my mind. It's collecting dust somewhere around here...maybe the kids misplaced it while playing with it.

So its unethical to leave the hat at home? Some of you guys take this hat wearing thing very seriously.

Not at all. I don't care if someone wears their hat. I think it presents an enhanced image of professionalism...but I don't really care if anyone else agrees with me.

What I think is lame is adopting the position that you should alter your personal integrity because someone else alters theirs.

You opening comment on the hat issue was, "And management told many of us they would fund our retirement."

That's an attempt to rationalize your adherence to a rule you agreed to abide based on someone else's status as a weasel.

It might be trivial when applied to the issue of hats, but I hope you see the broader impact.

My boss, or his booger-eating surrogates, acting like indifferent scumbags does not justify me acting like one. That's not an "image" issue...it's personal integrity.

Latest resources

Back