• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is with the HAT argument?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I saw an interview with Arnold Palmer once who said, "Gentlemen always remove their hats indoors." Military has the same policy.

That's why it's not on my head in the terminal, crew room, airplane, bus etc. Nor do I remember that coming up on my interview or signing my rights away during indoc. Some of us believe it's the polite thing to do.

The intent is to present an image to the traveling public..... this isn't the DOD and I don't see Palmer...

Any one have an professional arguement against the hat... not the me me me stuff...

Personally, I don't really like the hat, and with a full head of hair, my head sweats!

You have to point out the fact you have a full head of hair? You must be old. I'd like to see you use that argument in a room full of senior captains.

The intent is to present an image to the traveling public.....
Any one have an professional arguement against the hat... not the me me me stuff...

Sorry to burst the bubble here, but you know the hat doesn't 'present an image' as much as pictures of pilots:

being busted for coke possession,
crashing,
landing at the wrong airport,
near misses, and my favorite:
cussing out passengers.

The AA pilots today presented themselves well today and not one was wearing a hat.

Anyone ashamed of them? I'm not.

If the Air Line Pilot image, which is unquestionably defined by the hat, is good enough for our companies to use when selling tickets, or our unions to use when selling our professionalism, then why is it NOT good enough for us on a daily basis?

Because the hat is a cardboard piece of crap. If you need a hat to make you feel all warm and fuzzy then you got problems. If you really like looking like a dork from the love boat then I guess that is your perogative. SkyWest was proper in its decision to make the hat optional.

Latest resources

Back