• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is the best way to find corprate job

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am an ATP 9000hrs TT 4100 hrs PIC part 121 with no corporate time. EMB 145 B737 typed. What is the best way to find cororate job openings?

When you say corporate job I take it as Part 91. I don't look at Part 135 as a corporate job, they just use corporate jets. Unless you know someone you won't get into a GOOD Part 91 gig. Maybe if you offer to pay for a type rating you could get into a good Part 91 job right off the bat, but I actually don't know of a single Part 91 operator, around here anyway, that cares if pilots offer to pay for their own types. All the operators I know of pay for types and only interview you by in-house referral.

So, if you don't mind flying Part 135 (YIKES!) for a couple years, its pretty easy to find a job, especially if you're willing to pay for a type. Then you'll run into that person who will hook you up with a good Part 91 job. My first 91 job was after I was a co-pilot for 10 months. One of the charter customers decided to buy his own plane and took me from that job. Been 91 ever since.

There's a ton of BBJ's down here (South Florida), send resumes to everyone for starters. Sometimes its not "who you know", right place, right time works too.

You know already: Network. This may mean taking a crappy gig just to "break" into the airport you'd want to call home. Corporate guys are not fond of 121 guys, making the transition even tougher. Attitude is everything in corporate simply because in most corporate gigs you don't just show up and fly. Often, you'll be flight planning, coordinating passenger needs, dealing department budgets, maintenance, etc. And, doing all of this with a smile and positive attitude. Network right, have a great attitude, and you'll be sitting left seat in a NICE corporate jet in no time.

AZ T

Why are they not fond of 121 guys? I don't mind working, never have. I know part 121 drivers have everything done for them and I found that I have a neat ability called being able to learn. So I have a good attitude and I can be trained. I have been learning all my life!

Why are they not fond of 121 guys? I don't mind working, never have. I know part 121 drivers have everything done for them and I found that I have a neat ability called being able to learn. So I have a good attitude and I can be trained. I have been learning all my life!

I know of a few companies that got "screwed" by airline guys getting recalled, or just leaving. I don't think its a matter of learning the ropes, but more of the matter of liking the ropes.

We all know the standard 121 guy doesn't understand customer service and is heavily brainwashed by union rhetoric. I was a former 121 guy, and having seen it from both sides, 91 and 121, I can see the stance that most 91 ops. have on 121 pilots, and I have to say, that stance is accurate in most cases (not all). Regardless, it is what it is...121 experience is not ALL a plus in the corporate world. Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger. I found that emphasizing the 121 training and flight experience (assuming you're in bad weather, up and down, in complex airspace) is a plus. Also, the 121 standards blow 91 and 135 "standards" out of the water, another strong point for 121. Show corporate folks you want to be a REAL team player, you want to do what it takes (within legal limits), and probably most importantly, you have a life outside of aviation and can get along with the folks you fly with...all few of them, for many many years ahead (vs. flying with a new pilot every month). You can move to 91, it just takes the right connection and attitude, period. you CAN do it.

I've seen none of the dislike for airline guys who were trying to get into the corporate world. I think its simply more of a dislike of the "I'm God" complex that some airline guys have. They can foget about ever getting into a good corporate job if they show that attitude. And, airline guys have no choice but to do things the corporate way, forget about the airline way. Airline guys are all over the place in the corporate world down here, most good corporate 91 companies have ex-airline pilots as their Chief Pilots and D.O.'s. Almost all of them.

If you're not like that you'll have no problem.

Offer to pay for your own training, or better yet just go out and buy a type. They also like it when you work for free to build experience. Offer to wash the plane and do odd jobs around the owner's house like mowing his grass and cleaning the pool. This should help.

You forgot about wiping the struts!

X

I've seen none of the dislike for airline guys who were trying to get into the corporate world. I think its simply more of a dislike of the "I'm God" complex that some airline guys have. They can foget about ever getting into a good corporate job if they show that attitude. And, airline guys have no choice but to do things the corporate way, forget about the airline way. Airline guys are all over the place in the corporate world down here, most good corporate 91 companies have ex-airline pilots as their Chief Pilots and D.O.'s. Almost all of them.

If you're not like that you'll have no problem.

Maybe I wasn't there long enough to get the complex..LOL I was regional for 9 years and a major for only 1 year. Maybe I can still be saved.

Its a better time to network than land a job...

There are lots of experienced corp guys looking for work right now. I hate to say it, but without some real good connections, an airline resume might not get very far these days...departments have been closing and there are no doubt more to come. Joe Hedge fund billionaire overnight buy me 2 G550's is a thing of the past.

Keep up the networking (here, BizAvCentral, etc) to be ready when budgets finally get approved and everyone calms down.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
I would do 4 things:

1. Change your resume to reflect your highly developed customer service skills

2. Go onto Indeed.com and do a search. Indeed.com searches all the major job sites for jobs that meet your keywords.

3. Go onto FlightAware.com and see who is departing your local airports and who owns them, then cold call them. Cold calls have a very low percentage of success, but if you offer to submit a resume "just in case something comes up" you'll be suprised to see just how many return calls you get.

4. Go out to the local FBOs and ask the line guys. They know more than anyone about all of the operations.

That last one is probably the most effective.

Good luck!

Latest resources

Back