What is the best way to find corprate job

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
>Hes right

I second the above. Dont considder the department if any of the above are requirements. For starters see if youd even like a corp job. Do not plan anything, because you will not be able too; live on a pager 24/7 with no GT days off (ever except your Sun-Sat week of vacation), Read the rule book (ops manual) and know that that stuff only applies on good days under no pressure, and will be tossed when the trip needs to go, be ok with 16+ hr duty days and no rest requirement, learn that everyone has their own version of standardization. Basically everything opposite of 121 flying. I made the move 3 years ago and it has been a rough change.

He is basically right.

For every good corporate job there are 10 times as many crappy ones. Just like 121, for every good airline job, there are a lot more crappy ones.

A good flying job is a good flying job whether it is part 91, subpartK, part 121, or part 135. The bottom line is there are a lot less good flying jobs these days.

If you can find a better job take it. Dont just think changing from one category to the other will make a different.

Offer to pay for your own training, or better yet just go out and buy a type. They also like it when you work for free to build experience. Offer to wash the plane and do odd jobs around the owner's house like mowing his grass and cleaning the pool. This should help.

When you say corporate job I take it as Part 91. I don't look at Part 135 as a corporate job, they just use corporate jets. Unless you know someone you won't get into a GOOD Part 91 gig. Maybe if you offer to pay for a type rating you could get into a good Part 91 job right off the bat, but I actually don't know of a single Part 91 operator, around here anyway, that cares if pilots offer to pay for their own types. All the operators I know of pay for types and only interview you by in-house referral.

So, if you don't mind flying Part 135 (YIKES!) for a couple years, its pretty easy to find a job, especially if you're willing to pay for a type. Then you'll run into that person who will hook you up with a good Part 91 job. My first 91 job was after I was a co-pilot for 10 months. One of the charter customers decided to buy his own plane and took me from that job. Been 91 ever since.

There's a ton of BBJ's down here (South Florida), send resumes to everyone for starters. Sometimes its not "who you know", right place, right time works too.

Buy your own type?? Yeah bring down 91/135 jobs just like those whore$ that accept $18,000 a year to fly an RJ at the regionals. Come on set a new standard...you guys are unreal!

Buy your own type?? Yeah bring down 91/135 jobs just like those whore$ that accept $18,000 a year to fly an RJ at the regionals. Come on set a new standard...you guys are unreal!

Look, people see "paying for your own training" in different ways. My friend sat on his azz for months after he got laid off, once again from a 121 operator. Now he's out for his second trip on the Gulfstream 550 making $1,300 a day. His first 24-day trip paid for his type-rating last month, and now he's making money finally, and alot of it. Should he have just sat on his couch and went down the tubes when he had the money sitting in the bank to buy a type and get back in the game? Thats a pretty stupid way to look at it!!!! Paying for your own training so you can get a job and have a life again is 100% smart.

It would be nice to have a new standard to set out in the market, but IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN, so live with it the way it is or find a new career.

Simple as that really.

OK... why don't you have ANY 91/135 operator I applied with return my call or reply to my resume? My quals are on the right. I sent over 100 resumes to virtually every SoCal operator. I walked and talked to numbers of operators who frowned the minute they saw Aloha Airlines on my resume - oh, too bad about your airline, but you're not typed in anything we fly, but otherwise, great resume. One guy told me I was "overqualified" to fly a G-II. Another Beechjet operator told me point blank - "my union speaks for me, huh? Didn't you belong to a union at Aloha?" I was floored that he even brought that up.

But hey, I even sent my resume to some AZ and NV operators. I even sent my resume to a PFT operator (WWJ) for virtually any position anywhere with them. They must have tons of resumes from me because they want you to apply for a specific position. Nothing...

So... all I'm asking for is one call back. Just one. Give me a fighting chance without having to go shell out thousands of dollars for a type rating that will at least give me that chance.

Can you do that?

If not... I suggest you count your blessings and give a MEANINGFUL advice to furloughed/laid off airline pilots, along with a thorough interview process about what's expected of him on the 91/135 side.

One call back, buddy! Just one...

Freight Dog,

You're either in the club, or you're not. As Part 121 pilots, we're not. The only way in is a rock-solid inside connection (that would exclude someone on flightinfo you con into writing you a LOR). Or else build a network from ground zero. Flight instruct or work at Ameriflight and start meeting GA types.

hey, i have 9 years of 135 work. and I cannot find a job. so get bent!!

Freight Dog,

You're either in the club, or you're not. As Part 121 pilots, we're not. The only way in is a rock-solid inside connection (that would exclude someone on flightinfo you con into writing you a LOR). Or else build a network from ground zero. Flight instruct or work at Ameriflight and start meeting GA types.

There's no club in 91/135, its all attitude. Alot of ex-airline pilots over the past 12 years have walked through the doors of places I've flown for. Some got hired on the spot, some get laughed at for weeks after they interviewed because they were simply JERK-OFFS who thought they were GOD because they flew heavier planes than we all did. They think the airlines are the rulers of aviation, yet, they're now coming to the corporate world. Go figure.

I'll tell you, the only problem with hiring someone you don't know is that you do not know their true attitude, personality and habits. Things that you will only learn about well after they get hired. I'd have absolutely no problem recommending an ex-airline pilot as long I knew they weren't a jerk-off. But I have to somewhat know him.

I agree....No Club at all. Its all about attitude, and some are pretty easy to figure out..

"I flew 7XX at the airlines, I can fly this little citation"

Also, sending blind resumes is pretty worthless. You have to network....

Even more important, when the market is dead (right now) don't plan on getting many calls. Look around - there are tons of guys looking for work today, with tons of corporate experience....what do you expect?

All due respect to you G200, but brother... look at your type ratings, then look at mine.

For you to say that if you're an airline guy, it's all about attitude, is at best stating what your department is like, and unfortunately doesn't seem to reflect the realities facing furloughed and former airline pilots trying to find a job flying a bizjet.

This is not to say that you're wrong, just incomplete.

Latest resources

Back