• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is the best way to find corprate job

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just as every airline has its "culture", every flight department has its "personality" (some would add "disorder" to that statement... ;) )

Not every pilot fits in with every culture at an airline--you just get pounded in the mold with a mallet. If you don't fit the culture at a 91 department, you leave or get canned.

Not everyone will fit in every department--nor can they be made to fit. I think a 3 day trip with a couple of the finalists for a job might not be a bad investment.

I do know of a department that wants to put you on a 90 day contract before they hire you permanently. That's quite a gamble if you're leaving another job for that one.

Wait! Am I off topic? I thought with the discussion of LR's v. 747 Classic checklists, this had become a 'free association' discussion on corporate aviation. Sorry. ;) TC

P.S.--The toughest airplane to learn I've experienced is the 767. The most complex is the G550. I was able to learn and operate both despite anchoring the average intelligence bell curve. :D

well this discussion is really going nowhere. So I guess I'll just leave it at, my experience flying both types of aircraft is not the same as yours.

I was hoping someone didn't come in here with a specific airplane that has a nice checklist to argue the point, I guess it was coming.

Yup, if you fly a Classic sometime you'll have a much different opinion than the fully automated 744.

Who really cares how long a checklist is?? Some are short, others are long, for both corporate and airliner a/c.

Who really cares how long a checklist is?? Some are short, others are long, for both corporate and airliner a/c.

The checklist is a mute point, this is about who is RIGHT.

as pilots, we are always right, no matter how rediculous the rest of the world considers us.

Now everyone, go count those F'n items on your taxi and after takeoff check and add another page to this argument. Prove your point.

:)

Last edited:
G200--I'm not really getting your point. Once again, you're being too subtle...

LMAO! :D

TC

For what it's worth, I'll jump in here. There really is no difference between a Citation or a regional jet, a gulfstream or a 747. The airlines are required to have very detailed SOP's not only because of FAA oversight, but because the pilots always fly with someone different. When you are a captain who gets placed with a new FO thats on reserve from a different domicile and has little experience you need to know that when you say "wind shear, set max power" he knows exactly what you mean, because he's read the SOP, right? The more pilots you deal with (thousands in most airlines) the more detailed the SOP needs to be.

Corporate jobs on the other hand, while having less FAA oversight, typically have less pilots. Therefore, you most often fly with the same guys, it's much easier to be on the same page and know what the other pilot expects when you have been to sim together and flown together on many occations.

I imagine that the larger a corporate department gets, the more important it is for standardization and an SOP

For what it's worth, I'll jump in here. There really is no difference between a Citation or a regional jet, a gulfstream or a 747. The airlines are required to have very detailed SOP's not only because of FAA oversight, but because the pilots always fly with someone different. When you are a captain who gets placed with a new FO thats on reserve from a different domicile and has little experience you need to know that when you say "wind shear, set max power" he knows exactly what you mean, because he's read the SOP, right? The more pilots you deal with (thousands in most airlines) the more detailed the SOP needs to be.

Corporate jobs on the other hand, while having less FAA oversight, typically have less pilots. Therefore, you most often fly with the same guys, it's much easier to be on the same page and know what the other pilot expects when you have been to sim together and flown together on many occations.

I imagine that the larger a corporate department gets, the more important it is for standardization and an SOP

Yes, it is all about SOP's, and this whole "checklist" thing did start out from an SOP issue between corp jets and airliners. My post #39 says exactly that. But somehow, as always, the subject gets lost and things change.

Even I was able to keep it an SOP issue, some dipsh1t would end up changing things anyway.

Its the internet.

Not to break in on your checklist fight but what websites can you guys recommend for networking/professional discussion?

I've noticed that some of the more reputable corporate flight departments are profiled in Professional Pilot magazine. You should target those companies for hiring.

Latest resources

Back