• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is the best way to find corprate job

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All due respect to you G200, but brother... look at your type ratings, then look at mine.

For you to say that if you're an airline guy, it's all about attitude, is at best stating what your department is like, and unfortunately doesn't seem to reflect the realities facing furloughed and former airline pilots trying to find a job flying a bizjet.

This is not to say that you're wrong, just incomplete.

There was also a time when I had no type ratings and nothing but a one week stint at a crap regional (I quit)

FWIW 2 of the last 3 pilots we hired had 121 backgrounds, both regional and major. They WERE rec'd internally and did have great attitudes. They have had a little difficulty adapting, but I think will do fine.

I guess my point, aside from the attitude at the interview, is that its tough to land any job, much less
a great job, in a market like todays.

You cant judge your lack of success by todays market - there are many qualified G/GLEX/DA pilots posting daily all over looking for jobs.

Now, if one cant land a job after a period of time in a decent enviornment? - time to look internally (strategy and personality wise) - something is not working.

Good Luck

All due respect to you G200, but brother... look at your type ratings, then look at mine.

For you to say that if you're an airline guy, it's all about attitude, is at best stating what your department is like, and unfortunately doesn't seem to reflect the realities facing furloughed and former airline pilots trying to find a job flying a bizjet.

This is not to say that you're wrong, just incomplete.

A little bit of that attitude that we're talking about is coming out in you right now. Take it easy. It doesn't matter what types you have, if you have a couple types and a descent amount of jet PIC time, its obvious you can fly a plane, any plane. I had only corporate jet time and breezed through my 747 type. And there were a few azzhole airline dickheads that were waiting for me to have a problem. If an ex-airline guy walks into a 91/135 flight department and they're looking for a pilot or two at the time, all they have to do is be like-able, and they'll most likely get hired. Why the hell not hire them. Its not like Part 91/135 operators have a golden rule saying "NO AIRLINE PILOTS." If you think that, then thats your first problem. Only thing I can say to ex-airline guys is: You will be doing things a little differently in the cockpit, so plan on that or don't go corporate.

A pilot is a pilot is a pilot. A jerk-off will most likely always be a jerk-off. Pilots are what we want when we need to hire someone, we don't want jerk-off's.

So, we look for the pilots with good attitudes. If a jerk-off shows up, they have NO chance in hell. I'd rather give up my days off and fly more, rather than sit next to an azzhole or a closet drunk. Not gonna happen.

Nothing wrong with ex-airline guys coming to corporate, just be cool, be a pilot. Thats what operators want.

jobs

I work for a PT 91 Fortune 50 flight operation and also have flown PT 135. I could care less what the background of the guy (or girl) flying with me as long as several conditions apply (and they are fairly common I think). Be a team player, be a good guy on the road, and don't get me or the company on the front page of the newspaper. We have 91,135, military, and have had 121 (majors) pilots in the department and in the end it really does not matter. Pilots can be trained. After 3 weeks in the sim and groundschool, the plane makes sense. To lump all 91 operations in one pile is a bit strong. Perhaps we are different but yes we have the publications that we all fly in accordance with. They are even signed off by the CEO as well and the pax know the rules. The planes either work or they don't get pushed out of the hanger. And believe me we have had some growing pains with our new ones. We all have ownership of the operation and much to lose if things go wrong.

Obviously there are operations that you would not want to be part of. Just like there are 135 and 121 operations that continuously do things the wrong way. Don't be part of it.

Sorry, rant over. Please don't take offense if I came off the wrong way.

There was also a time when I had no type ratings and nothing but a one week stint at a crap regional (I quit)

FWIW 2 of the last 3 pilots we hired had 121 backgrounds, both regional and major. They WERE rec'd internally and did have great attitudes. They have had a little difficulty adapting, but I think will do fine.

I guess my point, aside from the attitude at the interview, is that its tough to land any job, much less
a great job, in a market like todays.

You cant judge your lack of success by todays market - there are many qualified G/GLEX/DA pilots posting daily all over looking for jobs.

Now, if one cant land a job after a period of time in a decent enviornment? - time to look internally (strategy and personality wise) - something is not working.

Good Luck

I agree with you 100% that it's all about good, positive attitude that will get you hired, once you get their attention. I believe that was the original question - how do you get their attention.

As someone else on this board said a few months ago, sell yourself as an employee. The question is how do you get to do that when you don't even get an opportunity to interview, plus often times encounter that anti-airline bias right at "hello" and also question those who ridicule the ones buying their own type ratings to further their careers.

Tough situation.

I agree with you 100% that it's all about good, positive attitude that will get you hired, once you get their attention. I believe that was the original question - how do you get their attention.

As someone else on this board said a few months ago, sell yourself as an employee. The question is how do you get to do that when you don't even get an opportunity to interview, plus often times encounter that anti-airline bias right at "hello" and also question those who ridicule the ones buying their own type ratings to further their careers.

Tough situation.

Not by sending in resumes...

Best way seems to network with pilots that work there. Some of these websites are a good start. I Have gotten plenty of resumes through these sites, we even wound up hiring a few guys from them. While its still the interent, its a good start. The opportunity to match a name to a face, have a few drinks or lunch etc goes much further than an email resume.

I have met a lot of guys in the industry on here, BizAvCentral, and P-P-W.

But as we have said, dont expect too may openings right now - there isn't many. Budgets are on hold. Be ready for when the positions open up.

In all due respect, you seem to really dwell on the "airline stink" and it might be hurting your outlook? Again, 99% of this is market driven...and you are 100% correct...its a "tough situation" if not impossible right now!

Good Luck FD.

Last edited:
Thanks man. I really enjoy reading your posts because they are no nonsense, and to the point.

Gotta tell you though... I've been looking around for a 91/135 gig even while I was still gainfully employed at Aloha. The question back then was... "Are you crazy? Why?!?" I simply told them that I felt corporate/GA flying was a much better fit for me having experienced it in a King Air 350 than airline flying. I liked having more responsibilities than just hangin' a left, loading up the box, doing the walkaround and blast off across the ocean. Don't get me wrong... it was the easiest job in the world, but also mind-numbing at the same time. As a younger guy, I *WANT* responsibility, I *WANT* the challenge and an opportunity to rise to the occasion.

Well... needless to say, while Aloha was around... some people looked at me like WTF is wrong with this guy to want to leave a cush 121 gig for GA? That was the feedback I got. Now, that Aloha is no more, it's the "your union speaks your you, right?" or "Well, we had a few hundred other airline pilots apply here, and while your resume looks great, you're not type rated in what we fly."

That's been my frustration all along, and unlike many of my counterparts, I've actually been trying to get out of the airline flying well before any shutdowns or layoffs were even being mentioned.

Do I dwell on it? To a point, yeah I think so, but it's more sharing the frustration than anything else. But like I said, I really enjoy reading your posts and sharing your advice with people. If you're ever in LAS, beer's on me!

I've seen none of the dislike for airline guys who were trying to get into the corporate world. I think its simply more of a dislike of the "I'm God" complex that some airline guys have. They can foget about ever getting into a good corporate job if they show that attitude. And, airline guys have no choice but to do things the corporate way, forget about the airline way. Airline guys are all over the place in the corporate world down here, most good corporate 91 companies have ex-airline pilots as their Chief Pilots and D.O.'s. Almost all of them.

If you're not like that you'll have no problem.

Each airline does things a different way...I am sure a corporate flight department has some standards too,right? The "I'm God" attitude usually fails ANY interview.

Each airline does things a different way...I am sure a corporate flight department has some standards too,right? The "I'm God" attitude usually fails ANY interview.

Good question/comment.

Oh yeah, corporate (91) flight departments definitely have SOP's, not all of them, but all the ones I've been with have some level of SOP's. I've flown Part 121 and the SOP's their were much more involved and detailed. There's a whloe lot more going on with an airliner than with any corporate jet though.

The "I'm GOD" attitude should fail any interview. They should have their licenses/ratings revoked too. There's no room in any kind of aviation operation for these total cheeseballs. All they are are liabilities waiting to happen, and they will happen at some point to some degree.

Latest resources

Back