• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is NJ looking for?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't claim to know what they are looking for or if their is a specific "mold" they are trying to fill. However, with the imminent and inevitable merger with NJI (my guess is before the end of the year) they really want to get the very best and they can be extremely particular. We have all heard numbers like 10,000 applications on file. Of that, say 4,000 are qualified and maybe 1,000 have rec letters and look really desirable. Who knows.

I have had several guys that I recommended get hired and a couple that didn't. I saw no specific patterns in their backgrounds that made one look better than the other. It isn't the qualifications or the number of flight hours that got them hired. Those things got them in the door and the sim eval was a check box on the interview form I am sure. But what set some apart from the others?

I think the make or break issue is the personal interviews.

Two things jump out at me.
1. Do I wanna be in a cockpit with this guy / girl for a week at a time?
2. Does this guy have the social skills to deal with the high end clients and VIPs we see every day?

If Either one of the answers is no, interview over. Thanks, but no thanks. If you can't eat with your mouth closed or carry on a half way intelligent conversation, without coming off as a complete dork, I think you are going to be in trouble. Just a theory and my opinion.

The problem I have is the long waits guys are having being told yea or nay, but it sounds like that is going to be the norm from now on.

If you want to pad your resume, may I suggest ethics and etiquette training. Charm school boys. Its gotta be cheaper than a type rating.:laugh:

Good Luck guys. I'm pulling for ya.

P.S. The slow down is due to aircraft deliveries (namely the 4000) or lack their of. Still, planning on at least 300 a year for the next 4-5 years.

Last edited:
It may be worth stating again that the people conducting the owner/customer service portion of the interview have just as much say in the interview outcome as those who conduct the tech review and the sim eval. I've heard it said a few times this past week in training that anyone whose attitude is "I get in the plane and turn left" will get quickly deep-sixed.

Remember, most companies can safely fly someone from A to B safely. But what NetJets wants is to provide a luxurious service in addition to a safe flight.

We have all heard numbers like 10,000 applications on file. Of that, say 4,000 are qualified and maybe 1,000 have rec letters and look really desirable. Who knows.

I know. ;)

Last number I was told (about a month ago) was 2500 apps on file. 2500 meet the mins. About 1000 have LOR's or multiple LOR's.

I sent my app in yesterday and got a reply today that said that they are reviewing my requirements. Is this normal to get this kind of response this quickly? Do you even get this response before the thanks but no thanks email?

Do they send anything prior to the thanks but no thanks, or do they always send the "We are reviewing your qualifications" email and then you get the "thanks, but no thanks."?

OMG!! I had no idea that D.M. was gone! What happened? Anyone know?! I was counting on her to help me get another interview once I was eligible to reapply in September. Oh no!! Well, regardless, I hold her in a very high esteem. She personified what NJ was trying to convey.

Latest resources

Back