What is 7 on 7 off really like?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

-FlyAuburn-

My wife and I are excited about the possibility of me being employed with NetJets one day hopefully very soon. However, we have been talking a great deal about the lifestyle change from our current one.

We have a three year old daughter and currently I am home every night. One of the benefits of being an air ambulance pilot. Before this I flew 135 charter at two different companies and extended 3 or 4 night overnights were the norm about twice a month, but that's not quite the same as a 7 and 7 schedule. I guess my question is, for those of you with families (or those without) was this schedule tough to adjust to or has it been worth it in the long run?

Any input on what it's really like would be helpful.

I have a 6 year old and a 2 year old. It will be toughest on your wife because she will be on her own more often. Usually around day 5 is when my wife starts wanting me home. The kids will adjust pretty quickly.

Once you are home for 7 days straight a couple of times, you will really start to enjoy it. It's nice when you walk in the door on day 7 and don't have to think about work at all for a whole week. Makes for some nice times with the family.

There will also be the opportunity for the 15 day schedule too if the 7 day tours end up being to much of a grind. Tours won't be any longer than 5 days but you have no control over your schedule.

PM me if you want to chat. Where do you live?

I cant say for you, being with few overnights, but for me (airline background + a commuter) this is great.

Being gone for 7 days (6 nights) can seem long, but being home for 7 days (8 nights) is just as long.

Its like anything, some weeks you will want to kill your partner and wish you were home; and other weeks you will be having such a good time that you dont want to go home. And when you are home.....you are home. No answering the phone for work.

The worst part is being home for 7 days without any money. Once the money gets better, the 7 days home is like a vacation......every other week.

By the end of my 7 days on, I'm definitely ready to go home. Then again, at the end of my 7 days off I'm well-rested and looking forward to another week at work. I used to absolutely despise 5-day trips at my regional but those were worse than our 7-day trips here. Day one and last usually involve some travel, and I usually have at least one day during the tour where I don't do very much, so that helps break up the week.

I'm thinking it couldn't be worse than my current schedule--with commuting it's something like 6 on and 1 off. 7 days off... in a row!!! (not total!!) That would be freakin' incredible!!

-Goose

Not to mention, the rest we get at our hotels, which are generally good-quality and quiet, is way more restful than the Econo-Lodges, Sleep Inns, and Best Westerns that my former regional airline used. I feel much better after one of these 7-day tours than I did after a 4-day trip with half as many nights in crappy hotels. It makes a difference.

We'll occasionally get stuck somewhere crappy, but that's only been when there's truly nothing else available. Pretty rare in my experience here.

Keep in mind that when you take a week off for vacation on 7/7, you really are getting 21 days off in a row with the two other weeks on either end already off - 3 week vacations a couple times per year (more if you are senior). You'll be refreshed and ready to get back on the road after 21 days off in a row...

I have worked many different schedules like 6-4, then 8-6, then 8-7. I left the fractional life for a change (improvement) in my QOL. NJ is a top notch company to work for as I have many friends there. I chose to work at the other fractional "Brand X". The schedule was great before we had kids cause the time off was great. I could go on mini vacations get a lot of work done on the house, boat,cars,etc. As you know life changes with kids and in the begining it was not so bad when they did not have much personality or interactive I should say. Things got harder as the kids grew older. Even though I was off work nearly half the month I could never really commit to long term things like being there for the school play, sports coaching or even supporting. It seemed that even after being home half the month it was harder to find time to get home projects done so things were sold like the boat. I chose to spend the time with my kids so I would be working into the night doing house repairs. It just seemed like a never ending game of catch up. Being gone will play hard on your family and your wife will become the backbone. She will become a single parent half of her life.. Is that fair to her? Can she handle it? Your kids will also suffer too. I came close to the point I expected to hear-Hey when is whats his name coming home? I could not bear to see little kids crying their eyes out knowing I would be gone all week. I saw it happening before my eyes and it broke my heart so I decided to make a change and search for a flying job that would keep me home. I eventually found one that would and made the change.. I now have my family life back and it shows in how my wife and kids act. I actually asked the kids the other day if they wished I had that old lifestyle back-they all said it is better the way it is today and they even said I seemed happier-which I am.
So, if it is what you are looking for NJ is the top choice hands down but it is up to you. Can you say a job with NJ and that QOL is better than your current situation?
Good luck in your decision.

If planning your life is a key consideration, 7/7 will be helpful. You will know that you can't be called during your 7 days off unless you are open to it. You will know most of your schedule for the entire year on 7/7 and you can plan trips, etc. around it.

You certainly can't do that at an airline unless you are very senior.

Hi!

I was also wondering what 7/7 would be like back in Aug/Sep of this year.

I had 26 on/26 off.

cliff
YIP

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back