• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is 7 on 7 off really like?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for all the input. It's going to be a tough decision either way. One thing is for certain, I don't think I would ever do the 15 day or 18 day schedules.

Still, NJA is a great opportunity at a better paying job with excellent benefits and fringe benefits and that is the flipside of the the coin. I want to be able to know that I am doing all I can to provide for my family, and currently I can't really say that.

Sure, the family life in terms of time is excellent, but when you don't have the money to utilize all of that time the way you want to it isn't worth it. Also, worrying about money adds to stress almost as much or more than time away from home would.

For example, I am paying for my own health insurance right now to the tune of $407.00 a month for myself, my wife, and my daughter. I do this because my companie's insurance is a joke, and I still have to pay for it. I would save on premiums but the deductible and high copays would balance it out in the end or make it worse. Not to mention right now I have no dental and vision, and no 401k.

My wife is a stay at home mother also, which means we rely solely on what I bring home. One way or another I will be looking for a new job to change these things.

My top choice is NJA.

Flyauburn,

A couple of other things to consider with the NJA schedule.

1) Your schedule will be set for an entire year. I can't guarantee that you'll get the line you really want because it's bid by seniority, but whatever 7/7 line you get, it's good for the entire year. So you can still do a great deal of advance planning.

2)If there are events that you wish to be home for, but are scheduled to work those days, you have options. The first is bidding your vacation to get those days off.

3)Should that not work, we now have an option to do a tour swap. It's something brand new from the IBB, and I don't have the details of how it works, but is a good option to try if you're really stuck.

4)PTO days. You will build up a bank of days that you can use to request extra days off. It only needs to be done no later than a week before you want them. So this is a good short-term solution to events that pop up less time ahead than say bigger events like weddings where you'd know far ahead of time.

5)Sick days. Technically, we're not supposed to use sick days for personal events. That's what PTO days are for. And I'm not condoning the use of sick days for this purpose. But whether I approve or not, it's an option to get those days off you really want. The PTO bank and sick bank are the same. Once those days are used up you're stuck either way. But the PTO days give the company advance notice that you'll be off, whereas they're scrambling to cover you when you call in sick at the last minute, hence the whole reason PTO days came into existence.

6)LOA. You could POSSIBLY take a leave of absence. Seems a little extreme to make your kids' little league championship, and I'm not sure what would actually qualify you for an LOA, but it is an option for certain events.

7)FMLA. This is definitely restricted to certain events, but nevertheless, is an option.

8)Bid the 18 day schedule. On this schedule you have a chance to request certain days off every month, and the company will try to build your schedule around those days. There's no guarantee that you'll get the days you want, but it's a better chance than zero. You may not want to fly the 18 day schedule, but guess what? There are bid periods every 4 months, so once you've used it to try to get those days off, you can get right back on the 7/7 schedule.

As you can see, there are very few GUARANTEES that you'll always get what you want, but odds are, you'll make quite a few of the occasions that you want to. We have numerous options for getting specific days off. So being on the 7/7 schedule, while difficult at times, isn't so bad. I think we've really got a good balance for QOL.

I find with the 7n7 I get more "quality" time with the kids than when I was working every day. Hard to do much with them in the few hours you have after you get home. I just try to plan some things to do on my days off, it gives them something to look forward too, as well as the wife. She seems to survive the 7 on better when she knows that the 7 off will be well worth it. My last job was 18 on 12 off though so 7n7 was a big improvement at the time.

Hi!

Realityman: Thanx 4 that info! That cleared up a number of questions I had about the bidding process.

Thanx again!

cliff
YIP

Thanks for all the input. It's going to be a tough decision either way. One thing is for certain, I don't think I would ever do the 15 day or 18 day schedules.

Not to burst your bubble but I believe that all new hires will initially be put on the 18 day schedule.

Last edited:
Not to burst your bubble but I believe that all new hires will initially be put on the 18 day scedule.

Yeah, I've read that too. No big deal, as eventually I will be able to bid the 7n7 and from what I hear it seems the higher paying schedules will most likely go senior.

Up the 40% of the pilots can be on the 18-Day, so it would be a surprise if it filled up. The 15-Day is limited to 10%, and that was the schedule that was thought to go senior...time will tell. 7&7 is the "default" schedule, so there will be a 7&7 line waiting for you assuming you aren't junior assigned to the 15-Day and there's a schedule bid open at the time you need to bid.

Also, realityman, not to be nit-picky, but PTO can be bid as short out as 72 hours...not a week.

Last edited:

Not to burst your bubble but I believe that all new hires will initially be put on the 18 day schedule.

You are correct. New hires will be put on the 18 day fixed schedule initially. The purpose is so you will have a greater oppertunity to be paired up with a training captain for IOE.

Bidding happens every trimester. As soon as you are off of IOE and the next bid period comes around, you will be able to bid for a 7&7 line if you so desire. You will also be able to bid to stay on the 18 day fixed or the 15 day flex, although you mat not be able to hold the 15 day flex.

Hope that helps.

Very few people will be on the 18 day schedule continuously as they do the 7&7 and Reserve.

The Flex only pays 10% more than 7&7 so not really worth it.... so maybe junior manned. If it were 20% it would go senior. I think people will do it one trimester at a time alternating with the 7&7 or 18 Fixed. Can't see many stay on it continuously.

As soon as you are off of IOE and the next bid period comes around, you will be able to bid for a 7&7 line if you so desire.

With the new contract, the bold part is no longer the case as it was in the last one. They'll start on the 18-day Training schedule, then transition immediately after IOE to either the 18-day Fixed or the 7/7, depending on what they bid.

From the new 19.4(D)(1):

A crewmember will be assigned to the 18-Day Fixed Schedule or, if applicable, the schedule he was awarded pursuant to subsection 19.4(D)(4), effective (a) the last day of duty tour in which he completes IOE training; or (b) at the expiration of the 120 day period described in subsection 19.4(D), whichever occurs first...
Definitely an improvement over the old language. :beer:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back