• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What has ALPA done for me lately?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm giving ALPA a chance here. If they have, as they claim, been hamstrung by the administration for the last 8 years, then hopefully we'll see some gains when the economy stabilizes.

If not, then perhaps we need to explore some different methods.

But what gets me is that any of these companies guys reference when they talk about great pay rates have been making money hand over fist for the last 10+ years. It's hard to bargain for something when you can't go on strike, there's a bankruptcy judge, and you're company is in his court.

The answer to the first question:

Labor Union: an organization of workers formed for the purpose of advancing its members' interests in respect to wages, benefits, and working conditions.

You basically said the same thing I did, but with more words.

Why go back decades? While ALPA made headway decades ago, how have they done in the past decade?

Ok, if you insist on looking at the past decade, let's do that. The most expensive pilot contracts in history were signed in the past decade at ALPA carriers. The big AAA, NWA, UAL, and DAL agreements were all huge milestones for this profession, and all accomplished by ALPA within the past decade. Yes, bankruptcy undid a lot of that work, but ALPA is now working to change the BK laws to make sure they can't be abused again.

How has ALPA reduced the impact of bankruptcy on the average line pilot?

Every company was looking for far deeper concessions than what they actually got.

The membership? Was that the same membership that spoke its mind when polled about age 65 and then ignored? Or was that a different membership? I remember the poll questions quite well. They were tilted towards Prater and the other old guys agenda's. I know a couple of people who were on the panel and they saw things differently than you do...and they were there. Recommendations were
made...and ignored.

The polling data was clear. You can ignore it if you choose, but facts are facts. The membership said that ALPA should change the policy if the age change appeared to be inevitable. Period.

Again, what are YOU doing to fix ALPA

Right now, I'm just working to get ALPA on property. I'll worry about "fixing" it after that first step is accomplished.

and in your opinion what is wrong with ALPA?

There is plenty of work that can be done. A revamped merger policy, fee-for-departure issues, better leadership training, etc...

Has ALPA been effective is stopping the slide of this profession over the past decade?

Yep. As best as could be done under the current laws. And now ALPA is making sure that the laws are fixed.

One more thing...

What is the memberships overall satisfaction with ALPA's representation and efforts recently.

Provide some facts...not biased opinion.

I don't have access to recent polling data, so I can't answer that question.

Ok, if you insist on looking at the past decade, let's do that. The most expensive pilot contracts in history were signed in the past decade at ALPA carriers. The big AAA, NWA, UAL, and DAL agreements were all huge milestones for this profession, and all accomplished by ALPA within the past decade. Yes, bankruptcy undid a lot of that work, but ALPA is now working to change the BK laws to make sure they can't be abused again.
Sad how all you ALPA ceerleaders have to fall back on the past, which is all but history now.

ALPA is one big toilet that needed to be flushed long ago!

You waited 8 months for that "genius" post? Sad. :rolleyes:

To the original poster: Keep in mind that ALPA's main purpose is to make sure pilots get compensated well. All the other stuff is window dressing.

Latest resources

Back