Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What do RJET pilots think happens after RJET SLI?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Honest question....

The RAH IBT members will not hesitate to blame any past failures on the old local.

They also trumpet the "we are our own local, we are independent from Teamster national".

However, the new local was elected after the SLI hearings.

So if the SLI goes well, does IBT national get credit or the new local that had nothing to do with the process?

If the IBT doesn't go well, will you still blame the old local, or the ones that have been calling the shots, IBT national?

You had to live it to know what a mess the old Local was. It was a mess because it was not being run, it was being looted. Rumor has it the ousted president is looking at the better part of a decade in Club Fed. The last of that legacy departed when the new EC was elected. Two months ago. So yes: past failures are on the Old leadership.

IBT Locals are not independent. They govern themselves autonomously, and continue to do so as long as they are in compliance with state, and federal law and with the IBT constitution. IBT has the authority to intervene if illegal activity is discovered. Each local pays 22% of dues to IBT, which spends that on lobbying and logistical support to the Locals.

The purchase (merger, whatever) between RAH F9 and YX started right about the time IBT placed the old Local into trusteeship. There was a lot, and I mean a LOT of internal strife among the RAH pilots, between the RAH pilots and the then-sitting EC, between the EC and the trustees. Cats and dogs. It was decided to dissolve 747, place most of the 747 airlines with 1224 (ABX's Local) and charter a new local for RAH. the EC elections came up (in accordance with the bylaws) right about the time the new local was chartered which was also right about the time the SLI hearings ended. The RAH SLI committee worked independently of all the fun and games.

Defining "goes well" in terms of a SLI is mighty subjective. Hopefully, a lot of people will be a little mad rather than a little people a lot mad, and that is across the whole spectrum. When the dust settles, the respective SLI teams will get the credit or the blame, depending on point of view. As stated earlier, the RAH SLI team went through the transition of the Locals independently of all the other internal strife.

IBT did not call the shots on this and if you think about it, the way IBT is constructed of autonomous Locals, they had no reason to. What difference does an airline SLI with Local 357 have to do with the warehousemen at Local 264 in Buffalo? IBT paid for the lawyer, but that was because the accounts had been looted. That was the extent of IBT's involvement.

Last edited:
IBT paid $1.5 million from its own coffers for the SLI hearings. None of that came from our local assessment fund. And honestly, it was the least that they could do. IBT and the Airline Division needed to take big steps in order to repair their image with this pilot group, and that was a big one.

StaySeated:
To answer your question, let's clear up one thing. You said that "the new Local" had nothing to do with the SLI. Are you talking about the new Executive Committee? I think that's what you meant, because yes, they were elected in the middle of the process and took office after the final hearing. The roots of the "new Local" were planted long before the SLI process began, before RAH acquired Midwest/Frontier.

If you are referring to the new EC, it is my belief that, to a person, they would say that the SLI committee that was appointed by the previous EC, along with the current leadership of Local 357 and the Airline Division (separate from the EC), deserve the lion's share of credit (or blame, if you see it that way) for the arguments put forth to the arbitrator. Again, only my opinion.

"We will see many more F9 pilots leave"!!! and you have
only 7 post...

and the Reverent BB said:

Didn't ICAO mandate English proficiency a couple years back?

Regardless, IBT pilots seem satisifed and/or optimistic with the new local, and often point to its relative independence as a positive. FAPA pilots are satisifed with their representation, and also value it's independence. So why not a RAPA-type solution post STS? Within this group we clearly have the skill and experience to represent ourselves, why upstream 22% of dues to a polarizing entity? Above a certain critical size, independece works. Let's do it.

Last edited:
Didn't ICAO mandate English proficiency a couple years back?

Regardless, IBT pilots seem satisifed and/or optimistic with the new local, and often point to its relative independence as a positive. FAPA pilots are satisifed with their representation, and also value it's independence. So why not a RAPA-type solution post STS? Within this group we clearly have the skill and experience to represent ourselves, why upstream 22% of dues to a polarizing entity? Above a certain critical size, independece works. Let's do it.

If we can get past all the name-calling and arrogance, I don't see why it should be a problem.

No matter the outcome of this SLI, WE DID IT TO OURSELVES. QUIT your Bitchin!

I mean come on FAPA thought it was in the best interest of the WHOLE company to be part of RAH. FAPA RULES! Good job.

My opinion for the new RAH, pick a union that only represents for its dues paying members.

CYA

Im a Frontier pilot and have been proud to be part of a great group of pilots in one of the best places to work in the industry. I can see the writing on the wall.....the F9 group will go the way of the Midwest group. Just my gut feeling and opinion. No need to comment.

I am making like a rat and heading topside now....this ship is going to sink.

Dueces.

Im a Frontier pilot and have been proud to be part of a great group of pilots in one of the best places to work in the industry. I can see the writing on the wall.....the F9 group will go the way of the Midwest group. Just my gut feeling and opinion. No need to comment.

Dueces.

+1.

VOTE ALPA. IBT, is for truckers. FAPA is good when times are good. ALPA will at least give you a war chest filled with Lawyers, Benefits and Balls.

So long F9, thanks for screwing it up FAPA/Menke/Bedford/the F9 pilots' leader on the creditors committee (liberal elitist).

CYA

PS. It is true, F9rs are trying to escape this place.

Last edited:
Honest question....

The RAH IBT members will not hesitate to blame any past failures on the old local.

They also trumpet the "we are our own local, we are independent from Teamster national". I don't know that they are independent of the National...

However, the new local was elected after the SLI hearings.

So if the SLI goes well, does IBT national get credit or the new local that had nothing to do with the process? The SLI committee, counsel and whoever else actively worked on it. The new EXCO wasn't part of the SLI group.

If the IBT doesn't go well, will you still blame the old local, or the ones that have been calling the shots, IBT national? See above, but also understand that the arbitrator has the final say.

See above in green

All the doom and gloom from the F9 pilots I think hinges on one thing. The NMB ruling on a single carrier status. If we are ruled a single transportation system I think we all have a shot. If not, F9 will go the way of YX and nobody wins.

Dueces.

+1.

VOTE ALPA. IBT, is for truckers. FAPA is good when times are good. ALPA will at least give you a war chest filled with Lawyers, Benefits and Balls.

So long F9, thanks for screwing it up FAPA/Menke/Bedford/the F9 pilots' leader on the creditors committee (liberal elitist).

CYA

PS. It is true, F9rs are trying to escape this place.

Frontier and Lynx had something really good going I think. It's sad to see what has happened to both places. I miss it. Good luck guys.

Latest resources

Back