• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What do Netjets guys do on long flights

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yep, look for the [R] -- those are based in regulation/ops specs. Our uniform vendor is listed in the FOM, too, but I'm quite sure the FAA doesn't really care. :rolleyes:

In what, 11 years? That's not so bad. I average only about 1.5 hrs a week in here cumulatively. Most of that is on my 3 hour show-go leads for a 7 hour hot spare period anyways.:rolleyes:
Anyways, like I said, it's not as much the iPod as it is that our owners pay LOTS of money for pilots to NOT listen to iPods in flight. Right or wrong, they perceive it as better piloting, and that's what they pay for. That's all I'm saying here. Personally, on ferry legs I could give a flip, so long as I'm not flying with someone who "shuts down" when his iPod is on. I hate that look of "do not disturb" that appears when they plug in, so I can sit there twiddling my thumbs the whole week. Just plain rude.

Well, if someone chooses to have a conversation with you or not on long flights is a personal thing, and may not be related to Ipods.

As for the rest of it, do owners pay us to discuss our families and kids on flights? How about politics? Women and dating? How to save the world with alternative energy? Do they pay us to tune into AM stations on the ADF and listen to that?

I know what the regs say about when a sterile cockpit is required, but that's not what I'm talking about. We're talking about cruise flight here.

I can also honestly tell you that I've missed more radio calls discussing the aforementioned topics, along with company and union things, than I ever missed with my Ipod playing softly in the background (NEVER missed a call when just listening to the Ipod!).

But, as previously mentioned by myself, company policy says no more Ipods, and I simply won't risk a great job over an Ipod. Therefore, goodbye music.

As for conversation, you must be one talkative guy! I can tell you that on those long transcons, most of the time we just run out of things to talk about a couple hours into the flight. Especially after we've been with each other for several days on long flights.

And sometimes, it really is nice just to hear quiet. If I fly with you and give you a "don't talk to me look" at some point, maybe, just maybe it's not because I'm a mental midget when it comes to conversation. Maybe I have some things I'd prefer to think about uninterrupted without figuring out how to save the world with you, or lamenting all the shortcomings in our contract. Or maybe I'm just talked out and was wishing I could listen to some nice music.

Let me guess....REGIONAL PILOT in past life?

Let me guess terry.. ACA in your past life???

the regional has not changed that much from when you worked there.... same bs job with the same bs people.. and you were one of them.. work on your denial..

and from 2001 to now is 7 years not 11

Last edited:
Man, I must be talking the most sensitive people on earth here...
Plain and simple: Use of iPods (included as PEDs) is prohibited in the FOM which even refers you to the applicable FARs that define use. You're all big kids who know how to use the FOM so look it up if you want.
PLEASE read the entire thread before you start sniffling about the regional pilot remark, it'll clear up SO much.
Fact is, iPods do not belong in the cockpit. Cruise flight, who cares? Am I going to turn you in for it? No, who would? But below FL180 it should be off.
I've been bitten once from someone using these things and that's my yardstick from now on. If you just can't go on without your precious iPod for flight, then you are pathetic indeed. No I don't need a hug. I am the most non-uptight guy you'll ever fly with, but once someone screws me, I avoid it for later.
Rub the little tears from your eyes and suck your thumb, but don't jump on me because I, like the owners, expect a little more from you.
:rolleyes::smash:

Let me guess terry.. ACA in your past life???
You must be a detective....

the regional has not changed that much from when you worked there.... same bs job with the same bs people.. and you were one of them.. work on your denial..
No denial, but regional pilots HAVE changed from the 90's.

and from 2001 to now is 7 years not 11
2008 - 1997 = 11
If I recall right (and I may be wrong), Mark ran this site since then but it was not "that" big back then. I had a different username back then.
Replies above.

Talk about sensitive! Sheesh!!

"If you miss a radio call and I have to deal with a pissed controller, I'm gonna hold a grudge forever!!"

Did I get that right ACA?

Just for the record, and to repeat myself, I completely agree with you that since the company has specifically denied the use of Ipods, people should no longer use them.

As for what the owners want, you still haven't addressed the fact that I doubt they'd approve of us missing radio calls due to deep involvement in conversation. Yet you don't have a problem with that. As long as it helps stimulate YOU, right? If the other guy is doing something to keep himself alert, but maybe doesn't involve you, then it's not acceptable. In fact, it's rude.

Am I pretty much hitting the high points of your argument?

To recap your side: Don't do things that are prohibited by the FOM and FAR's (I agree completely).
Also, don't do anything to keep yourself awake unless it involves you (mmmm.......I'll have to think on that one).

On the union messageboard

It would be interesting to see how this thread would progress on the union website, where everyone knows each others identity.

Latest resources

Back