• Watchers 22

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NuGuy said:
KS, I have to agree, but there is more at work than just that.

A friends wife is a DMV. She told me exactly the same thing was going on in the vet business. Vet school is exceedingly expensive and hard to get into, so you would think there would be lots of pricing power on the other end.

But she said that the people going through vet school now were mostly trust fund babies. A place to send "smart" kids who don't have the people skills for an MD, and get them out their parent's basement for another 4 years. They've never had to work hard a day in their life. So now, they get out of vet school, and have NO idea how to run a practice or the true value of money.

What happens is that either they go to work for one of the big practice conglomerates, like the VCA, where they make 50-60k/yr OR they get daddy to fund a practice, which runs about 100-125k for a full service office, and then run it at a discount, because there was no "cost of money".

The old timers holler like we do, but they get the same response that we get: the same blank stare and "90k is GOOD money!". Not a thought in their head about the time value of money, cost of services or recouping an investment in training (which for them, was zero). Sound familiar?

Interesting parallel, I thought...

Nu

So,
You're saying that most regional new hire F/Os are trust fund babies who don't know the value of money because their parents still pay all the bills? I think that's unrealistic and an unfair assumption. Most F/Os today struggle economically and will for a longer period of time than their predecessors 10 years ago when upgrades weren't 5 years +. Combine that with the fact that housing prices across the country have recently exploded and you'll see that F/Os today are much worse off than their predecessors.
Also, FWIW, a friend just finished her rotations (externships) as a VET at Ohio State and said every single person in her class except for two were over 30 and had huge loans that would take years to pay off.
What's your solution to increase pay across the industry?

Bdfg1 said:
Typical example of why this has become such a crap job. Thanks to you for not looking to the future. Enjoy that 90K a year 10 years from now when it will be worth the 25K a year you are making now.

No where did I state whether or not it is a lot of money, or a fair wage. I simply think that if you have trouble living off that kind of money, you may have a problem budgeting money. One that even a $150K or $250K paycheck won't solve.

I fly for CHQ and here is what I believe:

"What I Believe."

I believe in rainbows and puppy dogs and fairy tales.

And I believe in the family - Mom and Dad and Grandma.. and Uncle Tom, who waves his penis.

And I believe 8 of the 10 Commandments.

And I believe in going to church every Sunday, unless there's a game on.

And I believe that sex is one of the most beautiful, wholesome and natural things.. that money can buy.

And I believe it's derogatory to refer to a woman's breasts as "boobs", "jugs", "winnebagos" or "golden bozos".. and that you should only refer to them as "hooters".

And I believe you should put a woman on a pedestal.. high enough so you can look up her dress.

And I believe in equality, equality for everyone.. no matter how stupid they are, or how much better I am than they are.

And, people say I'm crazy for believing this, but I believe that robots are stealing my luggage.

And I believe I made a mistake when I bought a 30-story 1-bedroom apartment.

And I believe the Battle of the Network Stars should be fought with guns.

That's what I believe.

Me and Steve Martin think alike.

On the subject of 170/190:

If you were at CHQ when the last CBA was voted on and you voted for it then you can't say "this airplane belongs at the majors"

If you were hired after the CBA and believe we should not be flying this airplane than you should have voted with your feet and got a job elsewhere.

Bottom line is the industry has change and no matter what happens it will never go back to what it was. If we are changing things then I think we should jack ticket prices up to what they need to be, make the passengers dress up for travel like they used to, all F/A's will be single under thirty and weigh less than 120lbs.

As for pay the way to make money in this industry is to use the time you have off. I get 16-18 days off a month so I think it is a pretty good wage for a part-time job. In my time off I have started another bussiness. Eventually that bussiness will surpass that flying income and I wil no longer need it.

It doens't matter if you get paid 150k but your budget is 165k then you will always feel like you don't make enough money. Make a budget for what you can make or find another carreer.

Nindiri said:
Have you considered the possibility that if RJs go away, they will not necessarily be replaced with a similar number of bigger jets. There is a very real possibility that there would simply be fewer jobs. 90K is much better than no salary at all.

Have you flown on a airplane recently? Traffic is up above pre 9/11 levels and is not gonna decline. Forcast is for continued grow so if RJ's go away where are all the seats come from? Back to props, no there will be more 737, 320, 777, 787 to handle the increase with more mainline jobs. That is what every pilot on this board needs to be pulling for, f#ck that 90k for a 190 I made that as a 3 yr FO on the 320. Try raising the bar for once instead of letting it get lower and lower.

So just how much do you need to make to make these ridiculous daily threads go away? 250K? 500K? How about an even mill?
This just in..... McDonald's fry guys, after being given shiat by BK fry guys for scooping frys for low wages, are now holding out for a company car, a mansion, and a yacht!

dav8or said:
I fly for CHQ and here is what I believe:

"What I Believe."

I believe in rainbows and puppy dogs and fairy tales.

And I believe in the family - Mom and Dad and Grandma.. and Uncle Tom, who waves his penis.

And I believe 8 of the 10 Commandments.

And I believe in going to church every Sunday, unless there's a game on.

And I believe that sex is one of the most beautiful, wholesome and natural things.. that money can buy.

And I believe it's derogatory to refer to a woman's breasts as "boobs", "jugs", "winnebagos" or "golden bozos".. and that you should only refer to them as "hooters".

And I believe you should put a woman on a pedestal.. high enough so you can look up her dress.

And I believe in equality, equality for everyone.. no matter how stupid they are, or how much better I am than they are.

And, people say I'm crazy for believing this, but I believe that robots are stealing my luggage.

And I believe I made a mistake when I bought a 30-story 1-bedroom apartment.

And I believe the Battle of the Network Stars should be fought with guns.

That's what I believe.

Me and Steve Martin think alike.

On the subject of 170/190:

If you were at CHQ when the last CBA was voted on and you voted for it then you can't say "this airplane belongs at the majors"

If you were hired after the CBA and believe we should not be flying this airplane than you should have voted with your feet and got a job elsewhere.

Bottom line is the industry has change and no matter what happens it will never go back to what it was. If we are changing things then I think we should jack ticket prices up to what they need to be, make the passengers dress up for travel like they used to, all F/A's will be single under thirty and weigh less than 120lbs.

As for pay the way to make money in this industry is to use the time you have off. I get 16-18 days off a month so I think it is a pretty good wage for a part-time job. In my time off I have started another bussiness. Eventually that bussiness will surpass that flying income and I wil no longer need it.

It doens't matter if you get paid 150k but your budget is 165k then you will always feel like you don't make enough money. Make a budget for what you can make or find another carreer.

why should we have to get a second job? On my days off I want to be surfing,fishing,hunting,golfing,diving,f#cking, anything but working.

170Mech,

You AMFA or IAM?

Don't worry, you have as big a stake in this as we pilots do. If pilots fly the thing for 90k, what are they gonna be paying you to turn wrenches?

It affects us all.

surfnfly said:
why should we have to get a second job? On my days off I want to be surfing,fishing,hunting,golfing,diving,f#cking, anything but working.
Then budget accordingly

dav8or said:
Then budget accordingly

Still trying to figure out what the heck that has to do with being paid what you should for the responsibility that you have?

Dang fellas, I can budget accordingly for $1000 bucks a month......Doesn't mean I am gonna FLY an airplane for that!!! Heck I can budget accordingly and stay on welfare the rest of my life!!!!!!

If you do not want to live well.....That is your problem, go find a less demanding job and be an average joe for all I care, just quit polluting our profession with your limp wristed approach to the American dream!

Hey look at me girls...I are an airline pilot....I make less than any airline pilot in history but ain't I cool!!!!!

Holy crap, go play professional basketball or something, I am sure they will love your philosophy, I am good enough to play pro ball, but instead of 3 milllion, I'll settle for half that and a nifty uniform!!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back