Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
dav8or said:
Then budget accordingly

If you only want to fly part time go rent a 172 and let those of us that choose this as a career and put in alot of time and money to get where we are to be paid what we deserve. Since when other than entry level positions has the pilot profession needed to get a second job . How many MD's ,lawyers or other professionals need second jobs. Pilots like you are the ones bringing us all down.

surfnfly said:
Have you flown on a airplane recently? Traffic is up above pre 9/11 levels and is not gonna decline. Forcast is for continued grow so if RJ's go away where are all the seats come from? Back to props, no there will be more 737, 320, 777, 787 to handle the increase with more mainline jobs. That is what every pilot on this board needs to be pulling for, f#ck that 90k for a 190 I made that as a 3 yr FO on the 320. Try raising the bar for once instead of letting it get lower and lower.

You really believe that 737's are going to be put on runs like ATL-TRI?

Riiiiiight.:rolleyes:

miles otoole said:
So,
You're saying that most regional new hire F/Os are trust fund babies who don't know the value of money because their parents still pay all the bills? I think that's unrealistic and an unfair assumption. Most F/Os today struggle economically and will for a longer period of time than their predecessors 10 years ago when upgrades weren't 5 years +. Combine that with the fact that housing prices across the country have recently exploded and you'll see that F/Os today are much worse off than their predecessors.
Also, FWIW, a friend just finished her rotations (externships) as a VET at Ohio State and said every single person in her class except for two were over 30 and had huge loans that would take years to pay off.
What's your solution to increase pay across the industry?

Miles, it's too late. It's a lost cause, across the board.

Airline managements have the kiddies right where they want them. Dangle the jets keys in front of them. If you make a noise about better pay, and they threaten your jobs by moving them to another small jet sweatshop, and how quckly they knuckle under.

Look at the Comair pilots....they had the nads and took a stand at at time the market was good, and they still came away with basically no meaningfull improvement. They were days away from having the plug pulled, and they knew it. Delta and their cronies at the RAA were on a mission to prove that you couldn't win, and they succeeded.

Management is on to us. They KNOW that scope is everything. If you can't control your flying, you have ZERO pricing power. Quality of the operation means zero...look at Piedmont. The irony of CMR getting chased out of MCO by CHQ, and then having CHQ guys complain when someone else comes into MCO is laughable. The ONLY thing that matters is how cheap is the seat.

You can't buy that scope back now at ANY price.

The downward pressure won't stop there. You don't think that UPS, FedEx or SWA will maintain their premium forever, do you?

You know what? 90k is a nice sum...for a lawyer 3 years out of school. But do you want to be just schleping around 20 years to make that? Is that what you thought? 50k of flight training for Christ's sake! Maybe those FOs having a hard time paying back the loans should have taken a closer look. 90k is the best most pilots are going to do now...is THAT what you signed up for?

Anyone who gets in this business now is either stupid or has gamblers addiction.

Nu

surfnfly said:
If you only want to fly part time go rent a 172 and let those of us that choose this as a career and put in alot of time and money to get where we are to be paid what we deserve. Since when other than entry level positions has the pilot profession needed to get a second job . How many MD's ,lawyers or other professionals need second jobs. Pilots like you are the ones bringing us all down.

Just what do you deserve? Some sort of airline welfare is what is sounds like. This job is market driven just like anything else. when the supply of pilots goes down then the wage will come up. Why don't you do something about it and quit, BTW I know plenty of MD's that have sidelines. Creating wealth is all about making your money work for you.

What a bunch of idiots. Thats like shooting for second place because your to lazy to try for 1st place. Your thoughts are so lame. I should make 150k but 90k is ok, at least i can afford a USED car. Freaking idiots. Alot of yall have no self worth.

I for one worked hard through college and flight training and busted my but to get into this industry so i could make a good living and get paid what i EARNED!!!

nnTnn

If your wondering what that is, its me giving you the finger. Use your immagination.

dav8or said:
As for pay the way to make money in this industry is to use the time you have off. I get 16-18 days off a month so I think it is a pretty good wage for a part-time job. In my time off I have started another bussiness. Eventually that bussiness will surpass that flying income and I wil no longer need it.

If they can whack the pay, who to say they can't eventually whack the days off down to 10-11. Just ask the guys at UAL about that. Oh well, guess we'll just have to 'budget' our time off a little better.

410dude said:
It's actually quite a simple solution. Allow only pilots coming directly out of the military to fly for the airlines. That way all the civilian whores would not be eligible to fly for peanuts. Supply would be resticted, therefore demand and wages would go up. All you civilian CFIs could continue to teach private pilots and such because who cares how much they make as they are not eligible to become airline pilots.

Hey there!, Im looking for an E170/190 F/O here in the next few months out of LAX, Please PM me your contact info and we'll talk. Or you can just post it in here. You should get tons of offers!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back