What Are Your Hobbies? (Need Ideas!!)

User546

The Ultimate Show Stopper
Total Time
+1500
I'm curious what kind of hobbies you guys and gals have when you're not flying.

With my current job I tend to have a decent amount of down-time, and its not unusual to sit at home for several days at a time. I'm really getting sick of just sitting around the house not doing anything constructive or interesting.

Help me out guys I'm going crazy here!

Anyone have any good ideas for a hobby?

Wankel7

It's a slippery slope...
Total Time

MVSW

Total Time
Growin
Let see...golf, adult fun,xbox. What more could you want? oh, drink a lil crown!!

Wankel7

It's a slippery slope...
Total Time
Dude...dont forget to rock out with your jock out!

low-n-slow

Total Time
Wasted said:
Noodling!

Noodling, isn't that where you catch huge catfish with your bare hands? Crazy stuff. I'll pass on a 'fishing' trip with you but I'll raise my glass to you!

Wasted

u can do it too w kandoo
Total Time
Yeah, it's easy, just watch out for the gills. They're kind of sharp.

Goose Egg

Big Jens
Total Time
3k-ish
Let see, golf, but it gets kind of expensive (although you can find a golf course almost anywhere). Significant others tend not to like this one. In fact, I'm considering a divestiture of my golf stuff, so if anyone is interested in purchasing a set of lightly used Cleveland TA5 irons, let me know.

Surfing, but waiting for the waves around here is kind of a pain, and it's about an 1.5 hour drive to the beach. (And this is to say nothing of the water temp, anywhere from 30 to 60 F.) And right now I'm on Dr.'s orders not to surf. Bummer.

Soaring is relatively cheap and a lot of fun, not to mention quite challenging, but it will probably only provide a source of entertainment during the summer months unless you live in an area with a mountain. wave season.

Xbox is a pretty good time waster, but I wouldn't buy one again if I had the chance. There are so many more constructive uses for one's time. Again, if anyone's interested in purchasing said item, I'll cut you a good deal.

Reading is a good hobby because it's cheap, it's constructive, and it doesn't piss people off.

Actually, if you do have all that spare time, you might consider getting some more education. For example, there are some online masters programs out there. Personally I'm not really big on higher education delivered via the computer (there's no substitute for being in the same room with an instructor) but it'd be better than just sitting and staring.

Hope this helps.

-Goose

Last edited:

AA717driver

A simpler time...
Total Time
+/-13k
Flightinfo.com. What the ***k else? ;) TC

surv1

Total Time
Adding
motorcycling (got 2), offshore fishing, computers, guns, my wife

Hugh Jorgan

Total Time
four letters:
LBFM

Okay, okay, there's others....Surfing, homebrewing beer, golf, skiing, etc. take up a little time, and it's especially fun getting a rise out of all the thin-skinnies here on flightinfo!

Last edited:

surv1

Total Time
Adding
Hugh Jorgan said:
four letters:
LBFM

it's especially fun getting a rise out of all the thin-skinnies here on flightinfo!
For some folks, it's more than a hobby, it's a calling!

F16fixer

Total Time
Ride

Buy a Harley and don't look back!
Or I guess you good sit around with a bunch of nerds and play Xbox.

hoop

addicted to quack
Total Time
~100
homebrewing beer......

I was interested in homebrewing about a year ago, and saw where Hugh had posted something about it.... Well, I took his advice and set up shop. I'm proud to say I can brew some of the best **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** beer I've ever drank.......... better than any import you could buy. Just got into all-grain brewing, so still have some learning to do. Its a fun hobby, the types of brew that can be made are limitless, and you can truly enjoy the fruits of your labor. If you enjoy drinking commercial piss water, don't waste your time. Homebrew is for the true beer lover! :D The only draw back is that you will have to guard your stash from all of your mooching buddies that love your beer!

crash-proof

Total Time
Wasted
hoop said:
homebrewing beer......

I was going to PM you bout this but any www links you can recommend on home brewing? I'd love to do it, particularly after a week of pub-hopping in beer-friendly London! That's where it's at, baby.

Gearmunky

Far Beyond Driven
Total Time
------
Catch fish, shoot ducks, play xbox, read, and chase women! Oh yeah and Jim Beam!I'm trying to start an on the side business doing something, so I may start doing construction on the side to build up some capital. I hate to sit at idle.