Cycling
Running
Shooting
Hiking/Backpacking
Travel to foreign lands
Exploring cities
...to name a few... I have too many.

User997 said:
I'm curious what kind of hobbies you guys and gals have when you're not flying.

Anyone have any good ideas for a hobby?
Why don't you pick up something like woodworking, electronics, welding, small engine repair. Something that if you get a little schooling under your belt, could lead to making you a few bucks on the side.

I used to skydive quite a bit, but DZ politics and what not is starting wear me out. I used to like motorcycling a lot more, but now that I am driving 25,000 a year in commuting...I can't even stand to drive to the grocery store.

Two years ago, I got into collecting NFA Title II firearms; I had always been an avid collector of Title I firearms. It's both an investment and a hobby. A little expensive and a little off the "reservation" for some, but I enjoy it.

Currently I am working on a 14" inch Remington 1100 right now, just waiting for the Feds to send me my approved BATF Form 1 with affixed and cancelled tax stamp so I can have the barrel shipped to me. It should be a really horny looking setup when it's finished. The finish is a really neat shade of parkerizing, original wood forearm and stock. The barrel will be shortened, trued and gas ported. I'm finishing the top off with Wilson Combat brand "ghost ring" sights.

The next project which is a few days from being under way, will be to BATF Form 1 a Short Barreled Rifle. The plan is to build up an AR-15 with collapsable stock and 6.5 inch barrel. I have a .22 LR conversion kit for Colt AR-15s, so I'm thinking of putting this in the shorty and throwing a BATF registered .22 LR Lauer Custom Weaponry "predator" suppressor on it. Top it off with a 35.00 BSA red dot scope and it could be a cheap and quiet toy to take to the range.

After that, I'm thinking of doing a Form 1 on a 10" barreled FAL in a para configuration. My inspiration for putting this together can be seen at DSArms website...their model is called the "OSW".

Since it takes anywhere from 2 to 12 months for the forms to come back approved, I usually buy a receiver and then fill out the paperwork and send it in with a check. While I'm waiting for the BATF approval, I send the reciever off to get finished and the BATF required engraving done...which eats up a few weeks. Then I'll scavenge up the rest of the parts and accessories (minus the short barrel) and when the form comes in the mail...I'm all set to begin finishing the project.

There are cheaper hobbies, pick whatever makes you happy.

Last edited:
I second welding, picked it up a couple months ago and should have my pitts done by 2010. I tried RC airplanes but felt like such a dork.

Mountain Biking
R/C airplanes. Get an electric foamie, ugly and indestructible = fun.
Clay Shooting.
Home Improvement, aka, "Puttering."

I got into canoeing about a year ago (thanks for the advice everyone, especially A-Squared). I'm on my second canoe now and take the kids out fishing all the time, good exercise and good for the family..

I also have a super Jones for 1/8 scale nitro buggy racing. I have about $1800 in one of my buggies. Expensive but addicting.

Latest resources

Back