• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
General Lee said:
You don't know that.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Ok, let's make a bet. If they don't ask for any more, I will give you my next paycheck. If they ask for more, you give me your next paycheck. Whaddya think?

GL-

Considering you conceded the fact that DALPA allowed for the gutting of pilot labor by allowing RJs in the first place, and the fact that DALPA helped to throw "brother" pilot groups under the bus during and immediately after deregulation, (read up on Carl Icahn and Mother D's bidding war for PanAm, and its effect on the pilots.)

I'll go ahead and answer your response to DALPA allowing contract pilots. Its called PRECEDENT. Its the same attitude demonstrated throughout the history of DALPA. If its good for us, then why are you whinging? I understand the situation. I have an uncle who is one of the contract guys. And I know it was a matter of getting the poor, distressed senior guys a little extra for the second wife and her kids.

In the meantime, when my future employer gets in a training lurch, I'm sure my management will forget the little precedent your senior made, and negotiate with us in good faith. If you can't see that the threat of shutdown was the only leverage you had pre bankruptcy, I'm probably not the guy you can convince you.

And read up on the history of DALPA from the outside. We'll be cleaning their mess for years. The COBRA payments, General, are just piddling blood money.

"Thank gawd"

General Lee said:
Thank gawd Dalpa brought the pay scale bar up higher than anyone else EVER. Yeah, Dalpa has only done bad things for this industry.......RIIIIIIGHT.

Let me get this straight, in your current state you are actually gloating about raising the bar? And blaming us two posts later for lowering it? We have 80 airlplanes and somewhere between 1-2% of the domestic traffic in this country. You are bankrupt, voting for paycuts, have pilots on furlough and have pilots greenslipping shamelessly. "Thank gawd" for you, for you and your fellow employees making this such a better industry for we who bring it down. "Thank gawd" we are so privledged to share the sky for you. I will definitely in the future request a lower altitude so you can pass over me without a vector. "Thank gawd" you are closing in on 6000 posts of sensible and intelligent reason so you can educate my kind, the ones that strive so hard to bring this industry down for the likes of you. I "Thank gawd" General, that I have a vision of you, you proud soldier of aviation, hell bent on making this a better place for me to go to work.

IB6 UB9 said:
Let me get this straight, in your current state you are actually gloating about raising the bar? And blaming us two posts later for lowering it? We have 80 airlplanes and somewhere between 1-2% of the domestic traffic in this country. You are bankrupt, voting for paycuts, have pilots on furlough and have pilots greenslipping shamelessly. "Thank gawd" for you, for you and your fellow employees making this such a better industry for we who bring it down. "Thank gawd" we are so privledged to share the sky for you. I will definitely in the future request a lower altitude so you can pass over me without a vector. "Thank gawd" you are closing in on 6000 posts of sensible and intelligent reason so you can educate my kind, the ones that strive so hard to bring this industry down for the likes of you. I "Thank gawd" General, that I have a vision of you, you proud soldier of aviation, hell bent on making this a better place for me to go to work.

Here you go again, giving low blows. We DID raise the bar to the highest it has EVER been, and then we became a target. If you think our pay alone sunk us, try to remember the part (even the judge brought this up) about Delta buying $2 billion in stock just prior to 9-11, and then it vaporizing. (I was the one who approved that one......) What about selling the fuel hedges? I approved that one too.

And, I didn't slam you guys, rather your management. They are the ones who approved your 100 seat rates. Since you do not have a union or a voice, it really couldn't be stopped by you. That rate is now the benchmark for every new 100 seat rate, and any rate for planes smaller than 100 seats. Managements all around the US jumped up and down and high fived each other when they saw those rates. That wasn't your fault, though.

So, our group really did set the bar to the highest it has ever been, and now we are falling. If you want to make fun of us some more, go ahead chief.

You don't like the "Thank Gawd" saying? Hmmmm. Oh well.

Bye Bye--General Lee

AceCrackshot said:
GL-

Considering you conceded the fact that DALPA allowed for the gutting of pilot labor by allowing RJs in the first place, and the fact that DALPA helped to throw "brother" pilot groups under the bus during and immediately after deregulation, (read up on Carl Icahn and Mother D's bidding war for PanAm, and its effect on the pilots.)

I'll go ahead and answer your response to DALPA allowing contract pilots. Its called PRECEDENT. Its the same attitude demonstrated throughout the history of DALPA. If its good for us, then why are you whinging? I understand the situation. I have an uncle who is one of the contract guys. And I know it was a matter of getting the poor, distressed senior guys a little extra for the second wife and her kids.

In the meantime, when my future employer gets in a training lurch, I'm sure my management will forget the little precedent your senior made, and negotiate with us in good faith. If you can't see that the threat of shutdown was the only leverage you had pre bankruptcy, I'm probably not the guy you can convince you.

And read up on the history of DALPA from the outside. We'll be cleaning their mess for years. The COBRA payments, General, are just piddling blood money.

General,

I know Delta better than you think and I see much in the post above that is correct.

Don't confuse the senior DALPA guys quest for millionaire status with "raising the bar". It's called cashing in. I don't blame them for it since it seems to be the American way. But facts are facts. Management and pilots took their cash and left a shell of a company. You have been left to pick up the pieces. "Good Luck, we are all counting on you"

Hopefully it will not happen at SWA.

Last edited:
It's an interview board, so here is the lesson.

Look at the senior dudes at the company you apply to or currently work for. What is their agenda? What will their retirement or negotiation position for retirement benefits do to the company the next 5-10 years? Relative to competitors, of course.

Always look at the company like an investor, not like a contractor.

Yeah, I know, it is too hard to figure out and there are too many variables. Make a guess and go with your estimate if you feel it's important not to be changing jobs at age 45+.

Last edited:
FlyBoeingJets said:
General,

I know Delta better than you think and I see much in the post above that is correct.

Don't confuse the senior DALPA guys quest for millionare status with "raising the bar". It's called cashing in. I don't blame them for it since it seems to be the American way. But facts are facts. Management and pilots took their cash and left a shell of a company. You have been left to pick up the pieces. "Good Luck, we are all counting on you"

Hopefully it will not happen at SWA.

Sure, some senior guys left with a boat load of money, just like management. Most of that pension money was already in a seperate fund, not coming directly from the Delta coffers. That didn't cause the large losses, and most of those guys had worked for Delta for more than 20 years, and got half of their "promised" pension. Leo Mullin worked for 3-4 years and got $16 million.

Yes, I am left to pick up the pieces. That is the way it goes, but not all of that was done by Dalpa. Sure, there have been mistakes made, but most by management and their decisions. Even the judge agrees with that. What do you think Dalpa should have done here? Gone for it? Had we voted it down there would surely have been an 1113 process (since we failed to negotiate a deal) and then we would have either struck and liquidated the place, or kept flying with no contract and any pay cut the company wanted. The latter also would have thrown out our fragmentation and merger protection, and we would have left us sitting ducks. Instead, we got less of a pay cut, and time to negotiate with the judge watching, and we got the company to have to give us credit for a possible and likely pension dump, which will help us bridge the gap for the full $325 million in savings a year. It was just "prudent." Will we go for another round of cuts? Doubtful, since this one barely passed. We shall see.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Sorry, GL, I disagree. The Delta pilot group will continue to go for pay cuts because there is no alternative. A captain can vote yes or take a cut from $100k/yr. to $26k at "the job of a lifetime" at UPS.

History confirms this. You are along for the ride, unfortunately.TC

I wish I had a crystal ball, but here is what I see without one.

I see guaranteed feed from ASA, Comair and mainline for some profitable international routes. That may save the day. Some good Hub to Hub flying too. But I'm really hoping the employees don't just fall apart. I know some are bailing but many are staying. Those coming to SWA are tired of the bad scene at Delta.

Everything is cyclic. With furloughes and BK things will look gloomy as management gets more and more from you. But the reason is not just to save cash.

When Delta is ready to hire new employees again they want to look like the good guys and offer steady improvements in pay and benefits. Oddly, the cuts now will set a new "benchmark" that will see steady improvements and make new employees "happy". So the management theory goes.

I have no opinion on your passing of the TA. This lowering of the bar stuff is all good theory, but when it is your family on the line, I vote to feed and clothe the kids.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back