• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

We're Takin It Back!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You regional guys just don't get it. You cost ALPA far more than you'll ever pay in!!! You hear that giant sucking sound? That's the sound of the regional ALPA carriers sucking all of the dues income from the legacy carriers who actually pay for the ALPA services that you use. If ALPA was "all about the money" as you say, then ALPA would dump every regional airline and only focus on the legacies. There's no money to be made in representing regional pilot groups.

Can guys that dont meet that formula and are 60 retire if this goes through?

So why do they represent regional guys?? ALPA does not really care much about them IMO. Look at ASA do you think if it was a legacy that had been this long on hold out ALPA wouldn't be pressing the issue on a new contract.

I think they only represent regional guys for representation of themselves so they can say they represent thousands of pilots

Can guys that dont meet that formula and are 60 retire if this goes through?

I'm not sure I understand the question. What formula?

So why do they represent regional guys??

Because ALPA isn't about money! ALPA is pilots serving pilots. It doesn't matter that the regional pilots can't pull their own weight to support the Association financially, because the overall purpose of defending the profession is still being met.

ALPA does not really care much about them IMO. Look at ASA do you think if it was a legacy that had been this long on hold out ALPA wouldn't be pressing the issue on a new contract.

ALPA has done everything it can do to push the issue legally. Legacy or regional, the law is the law. If you want to put an end to 5+ year negotiations, then I suggest you contribute to ALPA PAC and vote for pro-pilot candidates come election time.

I think they only represent regional guys for representation of themselves so they can say they represent thousands of pilots

Yeah, that's it. They waste millions of dollars and countless resources just so they can add an extra zero to the end of their membership tally. :rolleyes:

You regional guys just don't get it. You cost ALPA far more than you'll ever pay in!!! You hear that giant sucking sound? That's the sound of the regional ALPA carriers sucking all of the dues income from the legacy carriers who actually pay for the ALPA services that you use. If ALPA was "all about the money" as you say, then ALPA would dump every regional airline and only focus on the legacies. There's no money to be made in representing regional pilot groups.

You fly a 717. That must mean that you fly for either Airtran (1700 + Pilots) or Air Midwest (400+ Pilots). In other words your not that far off from being a glorified regional yourself. Infact your company is considered to be a Major-National LLC, just like allot of other "SO Called Regionals" as you so put it.
Unless you Feel you are now a legacy Carrier?

You fly a 717. That must mean that you fly for either Airtran (1700 + Pilots) or Air Midwest (400+ Pilots). In other words your not that far off from being a glorified regional yourself. Infact your company is considered to be a Major-National LLC, just like allot of other "SO Called Regionals" as you so put it.
Unless you Feel you are now a legacy Carrier?

Forget the different "titles" of carriers. Regional, national, LCC, legacy, it doesn't matter. The point is that ALPA wants to represent all carriers, regardless of size or dues income. ALPA is not about making money. ALPA is about representing pilots.

Fly DC Jets has it right....UAL contributes upwards of 15mil and gets 5mil back a year.

Everyone see this? This is what so few pilots understand about ALPA's structure. The pilots of UAL, DAL, AAA, etc... subsidize the other dozens of carriers that ALPA represents. When pilots argue that ALPA only wants to represent Skywest or Colgan to make money, they ignore the fact that representing such carriers actually costs ALPA much more. That extra $10 million that UAL pilots send to ALPA and never get back goes directly to supporting the regional and national carriers that ALPA represents.

Forget the different "titles" of carriers. Regional, national, LCC, legacy, it doesn't matter. The point is that ALPA wants to represent all carriers, regardless of size or dues income. ALPA is not about making money. ALPA is about representing pilots.

The only thing ALPA, Teamsters or anyother outside Union thinks about is Money. You sure do not get your money's with any of them. Just ask the East Coast Airways Pilot group how they feel about how ALPA represented them. I have always been a supporter of in house pilot unions.

The only thing ALPA, Teamsters or anyother outside Union thinks about is Money.

Sure, just ignore the facts. :rolleyes:

I have always been a supporter of in house pilot unions.

As someone who is currently living with an in-house union, I can assure you that ALPA is far superior.

Sure, just ignore the facts. :rolleyes:

As someone who is currently living with an in-house union, I can assure you that ALPA is far superior.

Can pilots still retire at 60 if they wanted to or do they have to wait till they are 65. If I remember 9e had some kind of way people could retire early if they had x amount of service.

Can pilots still retire at 60 if they wanted to or do they have to wait till they are 65. If I remember 9e had some kind of way people could retire early if they had x amount of service.

Well, you can always retire whenever you want, but different contracts have different provisions for early retirements. With most A-fund pensions decimated, it matters less than it used to, but this is still a factor for many pilots. You would have to look at your individual contract to see how it will affect you and your retirement. As for 9E, you are fully vested in your 401k after five years of service.

Latest resources

Back