Were is the General Sherman on here?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dan Roman

Were is the SWA General Sherman on here?

We've got a General Lee on here, shouldn't we have a General Sherman? It would have to be a SWA guy who is proud of the fact that they pillaged ATL at the expense of the AirTran pilots........................Warrior Spirit Bubba!

I've watched the whole debate on here and it sure seems that the SWA folks just don't get that their actions have consequences. You can't acquire an airline and than start displacing peoples lives and expect them to become happy little warriors. SWA got what AirTran earned and SWA could not, a foothold in ATL.
You guys got there flying, fine, but you really shouldn't be condescending them by telling them how lucky they are or, hey you guys voted for it etc etc. It's not lucky at all if you all of a sudden have to commute or lost your Captains seat and it was in fact deceitfully rammed down their throats.
Mergers are all about screwing over employee's so a few can make money on the deal, period. The managements that do them do not care about the human toll in a merger, only how it looks on the balance sheet. SWA obviously is no different.
I actually was hopeful when the deal was first announced that SWA would come up with a better way to merge given how acrimonious most airline mergers are. They failed, in fact DAL/NWA did a much better job than you guys did.

Last edited:
Dan:
You got it all wrong. If anyone should be pissed, it's the Southwest guys/gals. They had to buy their jobs at Southwest, while 1700+ Air Tran pilots didn't. I'd be pissed too if I had invested all that money into a job when someone we just acquired, didn't.

uh Scoot.....there are a lot of legacy Captains out there that bought a Flt Engineer rating to become more employable. We all live in glass houses dude. :)

Here is the way I look at it from a swa perspective now that some time has past.

Southwest management saw numbers first, then employee consequences second. Maybe the numbers had to happen for the long term survival of southwest, which, if that's the case then the employee consequences had to happen. No one will ever know the true intentions behind the acquisition. The Airtran folks were at an airline that had accomplished a heck of lot in it's relatively short history but were in a position of uncertainty (bitter management/employee relations and a 98% strike vote). The way the seniority list negotiations went down for the Airtran pilots was definitely a crappy (to put it nicely) way of coming to an agreement. The swa management (not pilots) put down an offer with a huge gulp of uncertainty to force them into an agreement. No one on the swa side wished that was the way it would go down, with the exception of a few idiots on here, but that was what the swa management saw was necessary.

Flash forward to today. The Airtran pilots feel they are getting an even worse deal now with the 717's going away. I can't argue with that, because that will definitely affect quality of life for many AT pilots. What the AT pilots have to decide now is, do they want to push through this rough patch for the long term good of their new company and job security, or bring over the negative/bitter feelings and harbor the same mentality that created a 98% strike vote at the previous AT airline. This hasn't been pretty, that is for sure. Screw jobs are definitely being handed out, but look at the long term and things are clearly positive post 2015. ATL will be a base again, you will all be making more money, and your job security has been greatly improved. Only a small group of southwest pilots are seeing any positives from all this on our side. Most FO's like myself have already started sliding backward in domicile seniority so it's not like we are reaping huge benefits from your situation.

Keep fighting for all you can with our management and with swapa, but please know when to turn it off for the long term good of OUR company, especially when in the work environment.

By the way, I recall a year or two ago that GL mentioned his moniker referred to the door-less General Lee car on Dukes of Hazzard and not the Civil War general... Aaaah, the good-ole days of 70s-80s TV...

Dan:
You got it all wrong. If anyone should be pissed, it's the Southwest guys/gals. They had to buy their jobs at Southwest, while 1700+ Air Tran pilots didn't. I'd be pissed too if I had invested all that money into a job when someone we just acquired, didn't.

I've just been a lurker for years, but after reading your drivel time after time I just have to comment. You're entitled to your negative opinion of southwest guys buying a type; however the sheer volume of your posts constantly making the same obsessive point can only lead to one conclusion.........
You must have been anally raped by an owner of a 737 type school. Seek professional help!

I've just been a lurker for years, but after reading your drivel time after time I just have to comment. You're entitled to your negative opinion of southwest guys buying a type; however the sheer volume of your posts constantly making the same obsessive point can only lead to one conclusion.........
You must have been anally raped by an owner of a 737 type school. Seek professional help!

Your mother strapped one on and I am hurt by it. Next time I'll tell her to be more gentle. Guess I had that coming since I told her I was, "hers."
My postings towards the few southwest tools, you included, is only in retaliation over their infatuation with my employer.
Thank you for taking the time to care, and tell mom I said, "hi, no hard feelings."

Latest resources

Back