• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Well, today was the day

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My rational side says we should collectively fight this thru ALPA by using lawyers, etc...

My emotional side says that ALPA should come out with this directive: "As of Jan 1st, 2011 CrewPass will be implemented at all airports with 121 service, otherwise we will invoke a national S.O.S. and no 121 airline will fly that day."

Unfortunately the above will never happen because we dont have the balls to do it...

To the response about the higher radiation levels, they actually havent been fully tested to determine the long term effects to exposure.

There was a discussion about this about 8 months ago. Here's my previous post:

There's one thing though that worries me about body scanners: Possible radiation risk. The scanner by L-3 uses THZ-radiation. (some parts taken from another bb)

Terahertz radiation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Recent scientific research by university of Tel Aviv and Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico suggest health risks are present.

RARE Online - Terahertz Radiation Increases Genomic Instability in Human Lymphocytes

"Our results demonstrate that exposure of lymphocytes in vitro to a low power density of 0.1 THz radiation induces genomic instability. These findings, if verified, may suggest that such exposure may result in an increased risk of cancer."

Technology Review: Blogs: arXiv blog: How Terahertz Waves Tear Apart DNA

"This should set the cat among the pigeons. Of course, terahertz waves are a natural part of environment, just like visible and infrared light. But a new generation of cameras are set to appear that not only record terahertz waves but also bombard us with them. And if our exposure is set to increase, the question that urgently needs answering is what level of terahertz exposure is safe."

The media focus is on privacy issues from many sides; important, but one should not forget health issues. As a flight crew member, I don't want to be exposed to radiation risk and pay the price because of nutcases who try to blow up planes.

I understand why he was upset. The normal screening method that he used week in week out was no longer good enough for TSA, so they want to use a new scanning method all of a sudden. He passed through the magnetometer as always with no issue, yet now a full frisking is also required - FOR A UNIFORMED CREW MEMBER - in addition to the normal screening. All because he declined their new scanner. Why are we subjected to this BS!?!?

I am a robot going through TSA, what ever is ask, I do. Recently a screener saw something in my rear pocket and asked what is was, I told her it was a handkerchief. She said let me see it, I pulled in out and held it front of me, she yelled "Get that dirty thing out of my face" I asked what would you like me to do with it? she said "Are you getting smart with me?. I said "No I am doing my best to try and follow your instructions, what would you like me to do next? SERE school training comes in handy sometimes

You can opt out of the new scanner and go through the metal detector, but they have the right to frisk you if they want to. Refusing the frisk is where you created your own problem.

The TSA is a bureaucracy, The Constitution is not even honored by police officers. Why would would the TSA subscribe the notion of your rights? Your rights are immediately suspended the moment you interact with law enforcement until you leave security.

You're just a number in the airport, cooperate to Graduate.

Last edited:
Please don't back down from this. Thank you for having the courage to fight this indignity. It is ridiculous that working, uniformed pilots are subjected to this government stupidity. Crew Pass Now! Keep us updated.

Why not just go through the scanner? It only takes about 15 seconds? I really just can't wrap my brain around why this has everyone in such a state of disarray?

Why not just go through the scanner? It only takes about 15 seconds? I really just can't wrap my brain around why this has everyone in such a state of disarray?

Did you read up on the possible health risks that those bodyscanner pose? You may want to think twice about stepping through it.

You can opt out of the new scanner and go through the metal detector, but they have the right to frisk you if they want to. Refusing the frisk is where you created your own problem.
I thought that UNIFORMED crew members are still exempt from being strip-searched even if they decline the new virtual strip search scanner?

4th Amendment:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Latest resources

Back