• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

well that was quick.....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So tell me why NetJets management said the Voluntary Measures program was no longer needed in the fall of '09? I thought concessions saved jobs. I guess I was way off on that one.

OH here is some more, check out this CEO's pay, 165million!(after he fired 850 people) How about them apples

Three weeks before Christmas in 2008, Philippe Dauman and Thomas E. Dooley, two top executives at Viacom Inc., wrote a “Dear Colleagues” letter to the employees of the media conglomerate informing them that the company was downsizing its workforce by 7 percent.
That represented 850 jobs, 850 human beings, who would be looking for work in the midst of the worst job market in 25 years. The layoffs were not performance based. Indeed, the men who wrote that Dec. 4, 2008, memo -- “Phil” and “Tom” is how they signed their names -- insisted that the departing employees should be proud of their contributions to the company that no longer needed them.

In an accompanying press release, Viacom also said that it hoped that the staff reductions, coupled with pay freezes for senior executives, would save some $200 million in 2009. It happened that way, too: That year’s financials showed the company’s revenues were nearly as high as in 2008, but with less overhead.
Apparently pleased with their own cost-cutting efforts, Dooley, Dauman (pictured), and Viacom Chairman Sumner Redstone paid themselves $165 million in salary, bonuses and stock options for the first nine months of the 2010 fiscal year. That figure is not a typo. Nor is it an isolated example.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...ay_and_job_losses_are_they_linked_111950.html

To add onto that... NJA is going to lose probably some of the most experienced SIC's that NJA ever saw... Not a rag on any of the PIC's there, but the experience of those that were hired from say '05 and beyond (just a generalization) had, in general, a wealth of airline/corporate experience. Versus a low time new hire back in the day who may have viewed NJA as a stepping stone at first.

"If" this 121 shortage does happen, I'd expect (or hope) on even higher attrition than is being predicted.

That has been my observation too, Bent. And I think we will lose almost all our FOs, which is good news for pilots wanting to hire on at NJA.

Actually, many hundreds of our pilots took a much larger percentage of a pay cut, saving millions of dollars for the company. They participated in those measures to save those jobs, and it took more than your ".05" off the payroll.

Guess what? Management furloughed them anyway.

Nice try. Concessions do not save jobs. How many times must this be proven?

I wasn't in the union when this happened, and am gratified the union did this. Not normal union behavior, for which it should be commended. This is the best union I have ever seen, by the way, with the possible exception of the SWA pilots union. I still don't agree with much of what NJASAP does and says, but when credit is due...

That has been my observation too, Bent. And I think we will lose almost all our FOs, which is good news for pilots wanting to hire on at NJA.
Won't be any hiring if you allow scope to erode.

Won't be any hiring if you allow scope to erode.

True, if you are correct about the impact of the scope discussions. I just don't agree that NJA is trying to divert planes and pilots to EJM. Luthi's ravings don't impress me at all. He is a legend in his own mind, according to a couple of gold tie guys I have met recently. :)

True, if you are correct about the impact of the scope discussions. I just don't agree that NJA is trying to divert planes and pilots to EJM. Luthi's ravings don't impress me at all. He is a legend in his own mind, according to a couple of gold tie guys I have met recently. :)
Fair enough. What's your theory behind the company wanting relief?

Fair enough. What's your theory behind the company wanting relief?

My understanding is they want the same amount of outsourcing as is the current agreement, but they want discretion on when to use them instead of being allowed so many per quarter, which effectively reduces outsourcing available during our busy quarters. This seems reasonable to me, the alternative being NJA would have to hire an excess of pilots just to service the busy times, rendering us overstaffed the rest of the year. This would be featherbedding, which in its latest iteration is what is sinking the US Postal Service, by the way.

My understanding is they want the same amount of outsourcing as is the current agreement, but they want discretion on when to use them instead of being allowed so many per quarter, which effectively reduces outsourcing available during our busy quarters. This seems reasonable to me, the alternative being NJA would have to hire an excess of pilots just to service the busy times, rendering us overstaffed the rest of the year. This would be featherbedding, which in its latest iteration is what is sinking the US Postal Service, by the way.

G4 dude, you seem to have a very strong opinion regarding unions. Why do you continue to be bullied at NJ? With you’re vast, and extensive list of credentials, and like-minded good’ol boy network in the corporate world. Surely you can find a better fit for your ideological needs.

G4 dude, you seem to have a very strong opinion regarding unions. Why do you continue to be bullied at NJ? With you’re vast, and extensive list of credentials, and like-minded good’ol boy network in the corporate world. Surely you can find a better fit for your ideological needs.

The "Guffstream" fleet meets my intellectual needs just fine. We have a bunch of very nice folks here.

Latest resources

Back