• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

well that was quick.....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In the old days, when it was time to upgrade, an SIC would go to Hilton Head for five days of "Captain Charm School." Then they would come back a week later for a recurrent cycle in the sim with a Standards Captain observing the ride. Providing that went ok, the pilot would start wearing four stripes and would go back on the line awaiting a line check but flew as SIC.

Once the line check was completed (several days and a minimum of 6 legs), the pilot was signed off as a "Captain-qualified First Officer" but DID NOT receive their pay bump and did not act as PIC until the next delivery or until the next GIV PIC moved up to the GV. In my case, I finished my line check in September but didn't get paid as a PIC until late December. Which also became my new anniversary date for pay raises (summer original DOH). There's more to BOTH of those stories.

Now, follow along here. As to Nacho's point, when the furlough occurred (pre-integration BTW), NJI was forced to furlough nearly 50 FO's despite the entire division being right-sized in comparison to NJA. Nearly all were in the GV. That left the GV woefully short-staffed. At the time, none of the crossover FO's had fulfilled their seat lock. So, the company moved a bunch of NJI GIV Captains over to the GV which badly skewed the PIC/SIC ratio in that fleet.

That left a huge shortage of PIC's in the GIV. Per the terms of the LOA, 1/3 of those spots would be filled by NJA (which they were) and the remainder by native NJI F/O's. Voila, you have a bunch of relatively junior GIV PIC's.

Despite the conspiracy theories of the black helicopter crowd, that is why it happened the way it happened. But that's okay. They'll "get even" with the "Dirty Thirty" when the GIV fleet displaces and the junior PIC's have to go jerk gear in a Phenom. Or they go find a better job in a Fortune 500 flight department. Or go back to their airline gig. Both of which have already happened.

Or they go find a better job in a Fortune 500 flight department. Or go back to their airline gig. Both of which have already happened.

Luckily they have one of the most sought after types and are current. There have been a ton of jobs that require a Gulfstream type and currency. For those that choose to head to a fortune 500 place, they should have plenty of opportunities if they wish.

Can't say that I don't look forward to hearing about guys jumping ship and heading elsewhere. (not GLC guys, everyone in general.)

It's happening Bent. Three of our senior GV guys just left to go fly for a former client, I heard about the two Excel FO's going to be A320 Captains at Air Asia, and two GIV PIC's I know are going to take their major airline recall. I'm sure there are more.

I know the XL FO's that went to Asia. Both were FANTASTIC. I hated to see them go, but understood.

I don't blame them Fisch. If I were below 1500 in seniority, I'd be looking too. Of course, I'm always listening just in case...

I know the XL FO's that went to Asia. Both were FANTASTIC. I hated to see them go, but understood.

To add onto that... NJA is going to lose probably some of the most experienced SIC's that NJA ever saw... Not a rag on any of the PIC's there, but the experience of those that were hired from say '05 and beyond (just a generalization) had, in general, a wealth of airline/corporate experience. Versus a low time new hire back in the day who may have viewed NJA as a stepping stone at first.

"If" this 121 shortage does happen, I'd expect (or hope) on even higher attrition than is being predicted.

I don't blame them Fisch. If I were below 1500 in seniority, I'd be looking too. Of course, I'm always listening just in case...
I know what you mean. I'm part of that demographic.

Now, having RTS own and run us again? I could get behind that notion!

Don't excite yourself...it's like hoping for an airline flight that gets you home before 9:30 pm. Just won't happen, but we can all dream. And I'd love it to happen too.

You mean like the IBT taking dues out of my severance pay when my airline went out of business. Then telling that they had no obligation to assist any of us in our job search, you mean that kind of union stuff.

I was actually thinking about the 495 at NJ, but I'll admit.. it's a pretty good example.

All the NJ pilots that weren't furloughed will hop and down and say how great the 495 were treated by the union, but the bottom line is they were still furloughed and put out on the street.

While they are furloughed, nobody else took .05 of a pay cut to help them out. I don't want to hear about donations, etc. I want to know what they did to open the contract in an attempt to save any of the jobs at all. (even a single one!) Typical union crap, the only sacrifice they made are those that were low on the seniority list.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back