washing the plane

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Do you wash your company's plane?

• Are you kidding? I don't wash my own car!

Votes: 241 66.0%
  • Sometimes if we can't find an "eager" lineman.

Votes: 51 14.0%
  • My official job title-washboy/switchmonkey

Votes: 73 20.0%

• Total voters
I want you all to think about this.

My father in law just retired from GM he was a union worker that had the most time in the plant. (48 yrs) He has his electrical certifications from night school and one of the local Votech schools offerd him 70K to teach that subject.

I am sorry but to me... all of this aircraft cleaning crap......

ALL OF US PILOTS
ARE GETTING SCREWED IN EVERY CATEGORY!!!!!!!

Look at the state that GM is in now. The union is driving them into the history books.
I want to work with people that will do whatever it takes to get the job done and no one is too good for any task.

Stal6

I do not think that union decided to only build bohemoths and cars that people that people do not buy. Not to say that make it easy, but there is a reason why execs make huge dollars ... it is because they make "decisions."

As for pilots washing airplanes, sure, so long as they are properly compensated and their schedule is such that it still allows them to have a life.

The choices were skewed. I would never be asked to wash the aircraft, however I wash my own car all of the time, I love washing my car as a matter of fact.

I do not know of any corporate pilot out there that has to wash the aircraft.

What's the big deal if you wash the plane? Especially if you fly very little each year as most small departments do. There will always be odd duties in small flight departments. As long as you don't work for, or with an a$$hole, who cares.

We fly less than 200 hours a year and someone else washes and details the airplane.

The captain I fly with enlightened me on this- its one thing if WE decide to go out to the airplane and do some light cleaning one day just because we like the airplane owner, but its another for our boss (management company DO) to TELL us to do it. I agree with others that have made the point that other professionals- accountants, lawyers, secretaries, etc.- dont wash the bosses car, cut his lawn, etc, why should pilots be made to do more than a light cleaning unless they were also being additionally compensated?

All I do is a light vacuuming and use an Armor-All leather wipe on the seats and tables. Maybe use some PRIST on the windshield. That is it.

Last edited:
This is a funny post. Ironically two months ago I was looking to purchase an aircraft cleaning company for sale for 1.4M. I laughed to myself at the thought of some pilots being beyond cleaning aircraft so this aircraft cleaning company could NET OVER 500K a year with verified returns. Somebody got to the company before I did.

This is a funny post. Ironically two months ago I was looking to purchase an aircraft cleaning company for sale for 1.4M. I laughed to myself at the thought of some pilots being beyond cleaning aircraft so this aircraft cleaning company could NET OVER 500K a year with verified returns. Somebody got to the company before I did.

#1. How is that ironic? #2. Do you laugh just as hard at the thought of janitorial companies netting MILLIONS a year because those lazy executives are "beyond cleaning" the toilets and the garbage cans that they use everyday? Companies that wash aircraft bring in decent coin because, well lets face it, washing an aircraft is no simple task. You can't just grab any high school drop-out from the car wash and cut him/her loose on an airplane. You have to know what you're doing, and in certain respects it should be regarded as a maintenance function. Those companies have to be license and bonded, and the insurance they hold is not cheap either.

Be careful with your cynicism.

lazy executives are "beyond cleaning" the toilets and the garbage cans that they use everyday?

Substitute the word pilot for executive and aircraft for garbage cans and your right on. Also change every day to a couple times a month.

It's alot more fun sitting around doing very little and complaining about the next trip.

Stal 6

It's alot more fun sitting around doing very little and complaining about the next trip.

You don't get it Stal. It's not that we're too good to wash airplanes. It's that it's not what we do! For some, maybe it is. Maybe that's part of they're job description and they are compensated accordingly. But for most of us it's not. It's also not part of our job description to cut the grass, paint the hanger or countless other mundane duties around the airport.

After I come back from being away on a trip, I want to spend time with my family. I periodically re-visit the office/hanger to update the jepps, but you see, that is part of my job description. And by the way, flying for you may consist of you sitting around diddiling yourself, but for most of us there is a little more involved to it.

So speak for yourself.

Latest resources

Back