• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Warning: Your Takeoff rotation may be an accelerated stall manuver

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
EYW is a sissy airport, try TGU in Honduras. What terrain did you have to clear at Key West? Nearest hill is hundreds of miles away. Seems like airborne before the end of the runway would make the rest of the departure boring.

I have a buddy who once had a guy rotate so hard that he disengaged the yoke interconnect!! Yikes!!!:eek:

Last edited:
EYW is a sissy airport, try TGU in Honduras. What terrain did you have to clear at Key West? Nearest hill is hundreds of miles away. Seems like airborne before the end of the runway would make the rest of the departure boring.

I have talked to some of our pilots that have gone into TGU. It sounds like a real hum dinger of a place to land.

Boeing publishes a recommended all-engine normal takeoff procedure in the Flight Crew Training Manual (FCTM) for 727, 737 Classic, and Next-Generation 737, 747, 757, 767 and 777 models and in the Flight Crew Operations Manual for 717, MD, and DC models. In order to avoid tire-speed-limit exceedance during takeoff, Boeing stresses adhering to the recom­mended average all-engine takeoff rotation rate of 2 to 3 degrees per second, which provides adequate tail clearance margins with a target liftoff attitude reached after approximately 3 to 4 seconds

I agree. Read what it says! 2 to 3 degrees per second. Some of these guys on the 80's are reaching 20 degree's pich in 3 to 5 seconds. It should be taking them 7 to 10 seconds to reach that pich attitude.

Something else that I don't think people are figuring is that you are definately above your computed takeoff weight on most takeoffs. Standard winter and summer weight plus checked baggage weights are probably much lower than your actual weights for each. This means that your takeoff speeds are more than likely too low. Another reason why you don't want to jerk the thing off the ground!

I have never flown an MD series aircraft but according to the data the recommendation for this type of aircraft is 5-7 seconds to a max of 20 degrees. Good suggestion is to forward them (Boeing) for evaluation your thoughts about 7 to 10 seconds. Much easier to explain to the hearing board if one were to survive a mishap...

I'm glad this thread came up because I've seen some pretty atrocious rotations. I flew with a CA this past summer who used to rotate so quickly I nearly jumped out of my seat. It continued through the 4 day trip and I made a comment about it, being careful not to call his rotation habit out explicitly, and he went off on a rant about pilots who rotate slowly and how you need to get the plane off the ground, and "not to worry" because the plane will not tailstrike.

That told me two things:

1. He thought that this was not only an acceptable rate of rotation, but also the PROPER technique. (I'm talking rotation at a rate that I have never seen before, neither before flying with him nor in the several months after).

2. "Don't worry it won't tailstrike" told me that he doesn't seem to understand what the real problem is with quick rotation. I wasn't worried about a tailstrike. I don't want an accelerated stall 3 feet off the ground.

The strange part is how stubbornly he seemed to believe in his technique. I've never seen such an odd technique so stubbornly defended.

I'm glad this thread came up because I've seen some pretty atrocious rotations. I flew with a CA this past summer who used to rotate so quickly I nearly jumped out of my seat. It continued through the 4 day trip and I made a comment about it, being careful not to call his rotation habit out explicitly, and he went off on a rant about pilots who rotate slowly and how you need to get the plane off the ground, and "not to worry" because the plane will not tailstrike.

That told me two things:

1. He thought that this was not only an acceptable rate of rotation, but also the PROPER technique. (I'm talking rotation at a rate that I have never seen before, neither before flying with him nor in the several months after).

2. "Don't worry it won't tailstrike" told me that he doesn't seem to understand what the real problem is with quick rotation. I wasn't worried about a tailstrike. I don't want an accelerated stall 3 feet off the ground.

The strange part is how stubbornly he seemed to believe in his technique. I've never seen such an odd technique so stubbornly defended.

Ignorance is bliss.

If you get a yanker that is stubborn...

don't call Vr until Vr+10

;) I had a guy that wouldn't listen to me either. What else can you do? Maybe Pro standards?

Latest resources

Back