Warning: Your Takeoff rotation may be an accelerated stall manuver

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You lost me here:
What did an engine separating from a DC-10 teach us about 'V2+10'?

They lost slats on one side because of a hyd break and when they slowed they stalled that wing and rolled over. If they would have maintained their climb speed, instead of slowing, they wouldn't have stalled.

This drives me nuts. I see it all the time. I finally started just putting a finger or two up to prevent the other guy from over-rotating. Got sick of wasting my breath teaching them the 2-3 deg/ sec technique. The airplane I fly is quite prone to tail strike. So in addition to the stall issues/ Eng loss during rotation, there is the tail scrape to worry about; which IMO should never occur on TO (yet it seems to happen pretty often enough if you look at global accident/ incident reports).

Just happened 3 weeks ago on a TG 747-400... not even a tail strike prone plane.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20100305X54655&key=1

Last edited:
Yet a few pilots rotate at 7 degrees per second. They tell me they want to maintain V2 to V2+10. This speed is a minimum at 35 feet above the ground not a maximum during climbout.

First off, I agree with your premise.

I think part of this may come from many noise abatement profiles (at least where I often fly) call for maintaining V2+10 to acceleration altitude. I'm guessing some people lose (not loose) sight of the forest for the trees - the primary task is getting the aircraft airborne at the appropriate pitch attitudes (and in turn airspeed) to insure the required performance is met (including not hitting the tail, not running into the dirt, not hitting close in obstacles, having adequate stall margins, etc.). Noise abatement comes AFTER all of that.

I've ridden in the back with a few of these clowns, it really concerns me because one of these days one of them is going to create an incident or accident. They are either going to hit a tail (try that aggressive rotation in a heavy 757-300, IIRC tail clearance is only about 3 feet when done properly) or do Vmc demo if they lose an engine right around rotation. There is no reason for it, it's just another example of very poor airmanship.

PS - CaptSeth: You are correct - I never saw this problem at at our previous carrier, or even where I am now. I do see it from time to time riding in the back, at both regionals and majors. I really wonder where some of these guys learned to fly.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back