Warning: Your Takeoff rotation may be an accelerated stall manuver

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thank You,

I flew with a jackass who did this every time, probably closer to 10 degrees a second. I mean every take off had pucker factor. This guy had over 20 years at the airline and just did not get it. He truly believed his way was safer and correct.

I flew some airplanes that were not forgiving of sloppy take off technique: the 757-300, the 737-800, and the 727-200. Yank those off too quickly and you'll be doing a carpet dance for sure. Anyway, if you apply the manufacturer's recommended technique, you'll never have a problem. I'd like to see who's doing it wrong, I've never had anyone do that with me at my dearly departed airline.

Our manuals indicate to "rotate the aircraft with feeling" (with tactile response, not emotion although that would be funny) or something to that effect, and specifically not to make a mechanical yank to lift nose and rotate.

Generally speaking I start to take a butt hole sized bite out of my seat cushion whenever I see a guy yank the nose skyward and the PLI "eyebrows" appear.

I agree there are a lot of guys that fly out of a huge-ass airport in GA that yank the nose wheel off the runway harder than a 13 year old pullin his pudd and watching Cinemax. The best lift offs usually are perfected by those guys that spend a lot of time flying in high and hot areas where airspeed can disappear faster than Obama's approval rating.

JP

I agree there are a lot of guys that fly out of a huge-ass airport in GA that yank the nose wheel off the runway harder than a 13 year old pullin his pudd and watching Cinemax. The best lift offs usually are perfected by those guys that spend a lot of time flying in high and hot areas where airspeed can disappear faster than Obama's approval rating.

JP

It's summer in Houston, Hot, humid, and heavy, flaps 8, in the CRJ900, you are asking for a tail strike if you yank back on the yoke at Vr. However,
Slowly lift the nose and the aircraft will continue to accelerate and fly away nicely.

Generally speaking I start to take a butt hole sized bite out of my seat cushion ...

haha! Nice one!

That being said... last time I saw someone yank the plane off the ground was at the regionals (whether seeing an FO that I was flying with doing it or riding in the jumpseat)... It's pretty rare to see that on the major level.

At this age of severely overweight fatties riding in the back, I always make sure the plane wants to fly before I continue on up.

haha! Nice one!

That being said... last time I saw someone yank the plane off the ground was at the regionals (whether seeing an FO that I was flying with doing it or riding in the jumpseat)... It's pretty rare to see that on the major level.

At this age of severely overweight fatties riding in the back, I always make sure the plane wants to fly before I continue on up.

Ride out of Atlanta and you will change your mind.

Latest resources

Back