• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Warning: Your Takeoff rotation may be an accelerated stall manuver

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How about the guys that rotate too slow? No need to take out the approach lights on the opposite end either. For every guy that rotates too fast, there's one the rotates much too slow. Think you can just rotate nice and slow then several seconds past V1 (and VR), chuck an engine (while you're still stuck on the ground "very smoothly rotating") and still make the performance numbers on your data? Think again. Just saying.

Last edited:
On the Airbus, we get a printout after acceleration altitude telling us how fast we rotated. I've never seen anything above 3.4 degrees/sec. I don't think this is as big of an issue as you guys are making it out to be.

As I recall, on the SF-340 it was pitch at about 3deg/sec to until you got to 10deg. No prob: ~3 seconds.

Then someone somewhere decided you needed to pitch to 15deg. Manuals changed but they left it at 3 seconds for the rotation. If you followed the manual, you were now supposed to rotate at 5deg/sec.

I like what a Captain told me about the 737: At the end of the rotation, you should be steady at V2+20.

Good points above except for rotating a 737-900 too slow and watching the end of a 10000 foot runway coming at u too fast :)

How about the guys that rotate too slow? No need to take out the approach lights on the opposite end either. For every guy that rotates too fast, there's one the rotates much too slow. Think you can just rotate nice and slow then several seconds past V1 (and VR), chuck an engine (while you're still stuck on the ground "very smoothly rotating") and still make the performance numbers on your data? Think again. Just saying.

Find me an accident report where this came into play??

Some of the guys actually pull G's on there rotations. I was on Delta last week out of Memphis (MD 80). I'm guessing we pulled about 1.5 G's on the rotation. There is no reason for this with paying passengers in the back.

I know that on the 88 there are a few guys that like to yank the yoke in to their chest on rotation. I actually asked a Capt about it. His response was that if you are past Vr there is no possibility of a tail strike.

That said in most other iron here at DAL, you rotate slow. I have never seen a guy yank a 767/757/737 control column. I have never felt that the guy at the controls was nothing more than very careful. With the heavy weights we are flying at, there is no reason for it.

I know that on the 88 there are a few guys that like to yank the yoke in to their chest on rotation. I actually asked a Capt about it. His response was that if you are past Vr there is no possibility of a tail strike.

That said in most other iron here at DAL, you rotate slow. I have never seen a guy yank a 767/757/737 control column. I have never felt that the guy at the controls was nothing more than very careful. With the heavy weights we are flying at, there is no reason for it.

I do notice that it normally happens on 88's. Those pilot need to learn how to Fly.

Being past Vr >>> You can still stall the airplane and kill everyone on board.

This was one of my pet peeves at my regional. Couple of younger guys (not to sterotype, but they were young) liked to yank the jet off the ground. If you fly a CRJ200 or E145 you're in serious danger of an accelerated stall: the risk is far worse in a jet with no LEDs. Problem is, these kids never studied the industry, hadn't read any aerodynamics books, or NTSB reports (think CO DC9 in DEN circa 1987), and just thought they were "having fun".

Have only seen one guy do it here as the E190 is a tailstrike risk if rotated too quickly.

Latest resources

Back