• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

WARN letter

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If flying if Florida is your primary goal, you might consider Dayjets.

Lots of risk at this company (startup, new airplane, new business model), but the biggest problem is that the "VLJ" (very light jet) category is unlikely to impress future legacy/major airlines.

On the plus side, it's $50k/yr, in Florida, day trips only, and you may be able to parlay the experience into a decent corporate job or fractional.

Get those applications churned out! Even in good hiring times, you'll probably have to wait 1-2 months minimum before you get any calls, then another month at least before you get a class date.

Dayjet laid off HALF of their pilots a week ago.

Besides, if he doesn't have ICAO minimums (2500 hours) he won't be competitive for a job like that.

Seriously, look into Alpha Flying....info here. Sure its got one of them prop things on the nose but the pay is much better than a regional, its great experience for a future charter/fractional/corporate job, and upgrades are running about 12 months or so last I heard. Plus, minimums are only 1000tt and they have bases at PDK (Dekalb/Peachtree, GA) and FXE (Ft. Lauderdale Executive, FL).

Another option would be Avantair but I think they are sticking pretty close to 2500tt as their minimums. Hell, give Flight Options a try too, they are the Mesa of fractionals but at least you'll get a type and your ATP right away!

Dayjet is also giving back 16 planes back to Eclipse. I was furloughed not to long ago, and I must say I'm in a much better place because of it. I jumped ship from Skyway as soon as we heard the news and went into the 91/135 world and I like it a whole bunch more. That old saying "when one door closes...." may actually be true.

Hey I clicked the link and ALPHA flying looks like a good deal. How much do they make over there?

http://airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/fractional/planesense.html

Looks like there is an 18 month training contract in the form of a "memorandum of understanding". You should be a captain there in about a year anyway...

Won't get rich flying a single-engine turboprop in either seat but I think its still pretty decent money compared to the right seat of an RJ...and good experience that can move you up in that segment of the industry.

Also shoot a resume to Avantair...two engines and better money...

And now for something really different!

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ahr/jobs_careers/occupations/atc/at-cti/

The US government is looking to hire 1800 Air Traffic Controllers. It's a great job, has great benefits, high pay ($95-$130k/yr), good retirement, etc.

The best way to go about this is to go to a EIGHTEEN MONTH college program that offers a sort of "ab initio" program to ATC. (SEE LINK ABOVE) After completing the course, you'll get a highly preferential slot for an ATC job.

Frankly, if I were under 31 I'd be all over this like stink on "sit". I know a guy who did this years ago, and I'm still kicking myself for pursing the flying thing.

Just food for thought. Two years of college then a secure job where you'll probably make more over your career than most pilots. Then buy your own plane and fly it around. That's more fun anyway.

Last edited:
ATC'in ain't what it used to be either.

IIRC from when my wife was doing her interviews for IND tower, new controllers start at $35k...and very few now top out at over $100k unless they are very senior in an extremely busy facility.

A job offer was extended, but after facing the prospect of working nights, weekends and holidays for the next decade or more she declined the job...

ATC'in ain't what it used to be either.

IIRC from when my wife was doing her interviews for IND tower, new controllers start at $35k...and very few now top out at over $100k unless they are very senior in an extremely busy facility.

A job offer was extended, but after facing the prospect of working nights, weekends and holidays for the next decade or more she declined the job...

It's true that the FAA instituted a "B" pay scale. And the big money is definitely in the area control centers instead of the towers (big airports excluded).

ATC hires in waves. There's a bunch of guys retiring now, so chances for movement should be good. Still a risk, but less of a risk than airlines.

Just a thought.

try accrued, I think it fits

No incurred is better.

1. To meet or fall in with, as something inconvenient,
harmful, or onerous; to put one's self in the way of; to
expose one's self to; to become liable or subject to; to
bring down upon one's self; to encounter; to contract; as,
to incur debt, danger, displeasure, penalty,
responsibility
, etc.

One reason for me not leaving MESA was because all of the Seniority I had occurred. Im 1139 out of 1500. My seniority can hold Capt. on the CRJ if I met ICAO mins. No, I was not hired on with only a couple hundred hours.

I had been holding back recently because all the instability in the industry and I thought that the last place to be is at the bottom of somebodys seniority list vulnerable to furlough. I dodged that bullet at RAH by not taking the job(ie folks in training were let go because of the Frontier mess).

I guess I wasnt as senior as I thought. So I have no choice but to bail.

BTW, does Eagle have a ERJ base in MIA?

Start using your J/S privileges to attend job fairs before you have to start buying your own ticket.

Its gonna get pretty competitive for a job out there. You will not get hired as easily as you did at Mesa.

Pssst, MAG's demise has not been a well kept secret and is/was far from an unforeseeable event. I was one of the 700 last year that bailed, I was much senior to you and made a "lateral" move.

Good Luck, if you go to Eagle, you'll see what a real 121 training program is.

Latest resources

Back