• Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Hands down best in the industry"

not from what I have heard!
Low Low prices (ooopps...pay)
long day trips
and...
living in Arkansas!

"boy you sure got a purty mouth"

Whats a Global pilot making at WALMART these days? still 60K??

Here's what I am able to gather from this thread:

1) Some people who work there like it.

2) They think the pay is good, even though first year RJ captain is LOW for the FO in the corporate world.

3) Upgrade time determines how soon you will be able to enjoy a pleasing lifestyle. If upgrade time exceeds five years, that's LONG for a corporate department that is expanding.

4) The "minority" numbers are about standard for the population, as they are mentioned here. This opens the possibility that the company wants to INCREASE the number of non-white, non-male individuals in the department, which could support flyright's comments. This is true in certain fortune 500 companies who want to improve their "image" before Jesse Jackson shows up for a corporate shakedown, a la NASCAR, which was in the news this week. What is the difference between this new "welcome" management and the old management, such as Bob Lake?

Now, if anyone would like to share some specific information about the department besides rainbows and lollipops, I'm all ears. Anyone who isn't willing to ask some tough questions before making this an employment goal needs to sit down and think for a few minutes.

Now, that isn't too much to ask for, is it? :)

Last edited:
Out of the 30 that interviewed in July, the three that were initially offered a job were one minority, one female, and one white male.

I don't know what RJ Captain rate you are looking at. FO pay at Wal-Mart is $40,000 a year. After you put in a couple years plus as a FO you get a little raise and are called a senior FO. Then you can play kiss a$$ to try for the left seat. Forget the Global or Challenger unless you throw a wig on and have a brown nose.

You don't get a type initially either, but you do get to sign a 2 yr training contract.

What I don't get, this company is Fortune #1, yet they pay like they are going broke. After your 5 year upgrade to Lear CA, you can haul in something in the mid $60,000's.

Where are the great health insurance benefits you are talking about? What are you comaring to to? Frankly, they are not good at all.

How can the Fortune #1 company pay like they are going broke?????

how do you think they became the Fortune #1 company?

Na, me pappy gone and run off with my sister years ago...but.........
whats with the funny looking bald kid on your stoop strummin' that there banjo???

Once again, the lack of professionalism and maturity that runs rampant on this board shows its face. It doesn't surprise me that a few of the posters said some of the things they did, but it does surprise me to see that even the webmaster has thrown his hat in the ring.

This thread was started as a possible lead for a flying job for the many unemployed pilots out there, but has rapidly become a flagrant display of immaturity. If you don't have cold hard facts or have a constructive question to ask, keep your mouth shut!

Forget the Global or Challenger unless you throw a wig on and have a brown nose.

Cold Hard Fact: There are 13 people in our international department, 1 of whom is female, the rest are white males. Being one of those white males, I can assure you that I haven't kissed a single posterior to get my position. What it takes to get upgraded here is doing your job and doing it well.

You don't get a type initially either, but you do get to sign a 2 yr training contract.

Cold Hard Fact: All new hires, starting with the group about to be hired, will receive a type through the door. They will also be required to sign a training contract to protect the companies investment.

What I don't get, this company is Fortune #1, yet they pay like they are going broke. After your 5 year upgrade to Lear CA, you can haul in something in the mid $60,000's.

Yes, upgrade times are long right now, but they are everywhere. What is the current upgrade time at American or Delta? How about Flexjet or Flight Options? The pay rate is commensurate with the General Mills and NBAA salary surveys, especially when the bonus, profit sharing and 401k contributions are included.

Where are the great health insurance benefits you are talking about? What are you comaring to to? Frankly, they are not good at all.

What are you comparing them to? The health benefits aren't great, but they are adequate.

I go to learjet recurrent every 6 months...almost everytime their iare walmart pilots in the that recurrent training. Never once have I heard one of those pilots speak highly of working for the walmart flight department...mostly they just complain.

We do have some whiners, but you find me a flight dept with 73 pilots that doesn't. There have been problems here in the past and there are problems that are ongoing, but when the entire picture is looked at, it's a great place to be.

4) The "minority" numbers are about standard for the population, as they are mentioned here. This opens the possibility that the company wants to INCREASE the number of non-white, non-male individuals in the department, which could support flyright's comments. This is true in certain fortune 500 companies who want to improve their "image" before Jesse Jackson shows up for a corporate shakedown, a la NASCAR, which was in the news this week. What is the difference between this new "welcome" management and the old management, such as Bob Lake?

In this day and time, diversity is a reality in every company and institution in the country. I know of no plans to increase diversity, but a certain level must be maintained. At one point in time, there was a push to increase diversity, but management learned a hard lesson with that. Our hiring committee is doing everything possible to see that the open positions are filled by the most qualified individuals that are available. As far as the new management, our new chief pilot came from within, so he's familiar with what's really happening in the trenches. I've flown with him as my f/o quite a bit, and I think he is a great choice for the position. Bob Lake was a bad mistake by our senior management, but they made it right and have recently turned the asylum over to the inmates, so to speak.

Out of the 30 that interviewed in July, the three that were initially offered a job were one minority, one female, and one white male.

Let me guess... you were one of the 27 that didn't get an offer? How can you be so sure of your numbers? The only people who have access to the actual numbers are management and the hiring committee.

All-in-all, this department is one of the best flying jobs out there. While we may not be the highest paid or have the quickest upgrade, we have job security that is second to none. This company needs our department to conduct business the way that has made them the Fortune 1 company. We fly late model well-maintained equipment and we don't have to carry bags. The average Lear driver is home 28 nights a month and works 14 days a month. Utilization of our airplanes is probably best in the industry with an average passenger load of 5.2 per leg, which equates to a 71% load factor. The department has consistently grown even, during economic downturns, and stands to grow a bunch more to meet the companies needs over the next 5 to 10 years.

Say what you like, the facts show that this is a very sound place to work.

reeeelax Francis.

Most people agreed that job security is nice, even if pay suffers a bit.....

enjoy your job

Hey timebuilder!!! Just an observation, but do you have anything better to do than sit on a computer and post 2282 replys??? Just wondering, and to each there own.

To everyone else, my best suggestion is to, if you got a call for an interview, make your own opinions and go with it. Everyone is looking for something different. Some of the things I read were true at a some time, most just that......an opinion, but this is a great place to work (IMHO). If you fit the culture, more power to you! If not, no big loss!!

Rebajetgirl

Hey rebajetgirl!!!

I saw a picture of you once in ProPilot Mag when they did the article on Wal-Mart.

You’re a babe!

:eek: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :p

Seriously! :)

Latest resources

Back