• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Wal-Mart II

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Retirement age and go to work for Wal-Mart? Not gonna happen! I have talked to guys on the interview committee and the resumes of older folks are usually the first thrown out of the pile. Age discrimination? Maybe, but you gotta prove it!

JJthejetplane said:
Retirement age and go to work for Wal-Mart? Not gonna happen! I have talked to guys on the interview committee and the resumes of older folks are usually the first thrown out of the pile. Age discrimination? Maybe, but you gotta prove it!

JJ,
Check my profile. Retirement age for military guys usually is early 40s. That equates to a solid 20 more years or so of flying we have left if we end up at a 91 or 135 operator.

passion4flying

At the interview, they throw you in a sim and just tell you to fly?? Just wondered how that went? What would be the best path to get to wal mart? Lets say I would either be flying 121 for a regional or pic king air 350 (the 350 would be for a 91 corp)? Would it help that I have lived in Arkansas my whole life? I'am in my mid 20's,and I would love stay here in AR and fly for the MART! I just need some advice that would be the best way to get there. Thanks for your help

Last edited:
Yes, most of the Walton's have there own aircraft.

Let me explain myself about an earlier post about the retired military pilot. I was in a hurry and didn't get to elaborate. If hired, you will be a first officer for a looong time. If upgraded in six or seven years I will be surprised. Retired airline pilots, military and others with exceptional leadership qualities and skills will not last that long. They will move on to bigger better things. Also, the current leaders that be (Co-Chief pilots and team leaders) are not effective leaders. They try to make themselves look good even if it is not best for the company and/or pilot group. The have very little leadership experience and do not know how to lead. They are intimidated by retire military pilots, with good reason. There is a retired military pilot whom works for Wal-Mart Aviation. He is a super guy and an outstanding pilot. About a year ago he put in for a team leader position and was shot down. According to team leaders and standards pilots I have talked with, they do not want the military leadership styles in the flight department. My personal feeling is they are intimidated by him because they know he would be effective and would make the rest of the leadership look bad. The previous Chief Pilot, now the Director of Aviation was a good leader and CP. Unfortunetely, he was so good the company put so much on him that he had to delegate most of his CP duties to the team leaders who did a horrible job. One of those team leaders is now a co-chief pilot. But you know, you gotta meet the quota for number of females in management positions so she got the call. Pilot morale is low now, especially for the first officers. If you don't mind being treated like a dirtbag FO for a long time, and getting first officer pay (which isn't bad for first officer, but is still first officer pay) you may like it. You are home a lot, but it really sucks when you are at work!

About the sim....during the last interview process there was no sim ride. It was too expensive for Wal-Mart; they couldn't afford it. But when there was a sim ride, the day before the ride you sat in the airplane and a pilot went over with you the power settings and locations of everything you would need. About five to ten minutes before the sim ride, you got the profile. Basic instrument stuff, intercept and track a radial, hold, and shoot a DME arc to an ILS. It is challenging because it happens so quickly, but it is effective. The interview process is a pleasant experience. They just want to get to know you and make sure you can fly because there are a few Captains that can't so they need first officer's to look after them.

Holy Smokes ... :eek:

If anyone has any questions, send me a PM and I'd be happy to get you going in the right direction.

Guys, thanks for all the input, especially JJ & Passion. I’ll pass it all on to my friend.

Latest resources

Back