Wake from a Ted Airbus

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

exchexflyer

I fly the erj and I was taking off out of ORD last week just after an A319. Approximately 200 feet we experienced wake turbulance that rolled us to the right aprroximately 30 degrees. I had full left aileron just to keep from rolling over. I've had wake turbulance before but never this severe and so close to the ground. Everyone knows how these big airports launch aircraft one after another even before the previous aircraft has rotated. Please don't preach to me that I should have waited a little while before starting the take off roll. ATC seems to be on top of things when taking off behind a heavy or a 757, but they don't give any concern to the midsize aircraft. Wake is a serious thing even if it is not a 747. I can write an unusual incident report and talk to my chief pilot and the faa, but what will become of this? NOTHING! Everyone seems to be in the reactive mode instead of a proactive mode. There obviously needs to be an accident before anything is changed. If we waited 2 minutes after every aircraft, just think how many delays there will be. What's a good solution? I read this site alot and know that many people write meaningless things, please only reply if you have some good input. I know I'm not the only one experiencing this, give your examples and inputs on how we can resolve this problem. My solution is to wait to takeoff until atc yells at me. What is your solution?

Enjoy the RIDE.......WWWWWWWWEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

It is ORD.........deal with it and be ready after every takeoff/approach. In this situation it looks like you did......good job man.

Consider it an unscheduled beef seatbelt check :)

I know what you mean, on approach it's easier, fly a dot high, unless the preceeding aircraft is doing the same thing. On take-off, I've found that immediately after rotation I will drift 5 or so degrees off runway heading, upwind. The only caveat is with parallel runways, use common sense and judgement.

When I flew turbo-props, it was much easier, I could almost always rotate before they did and out climb them to a certain point, by then it was time to turn. For what it's worth!!!

They did the same thing to us a couple weeks ago, but with less scary results. MD-80 hadn't rotated, and we were cleared to go. Captain boosts up the plane, and we feel the wake nibbling at us all the way up to 7000. Same turns, same climb as them, and we were very heavy with no x-wind to help. Not a good feeling indeed. But that's ORD I guess.

I suspect A320 wake is stronger than a lot of people expect. I have also been rolled pretty hard by an Airbus on takeoff. My worst encounter with Airbus wake was crossing it perpendicular in the 1900 one time. It was one hard WHAM! and then it was over. It felt like we had driven through a ditch.

The dot high is a good idea -- I do it myself behind a heavy or a 757 -- but don't count on it to keep you out of trouble. Last week going into SFO in the CRJ700, we were rolled a bit by a 747 who was apparently also a dot high for a while.

Last month cruising at FL320, smooth and all, suddenly hit a wake by a crossing 747's wake about 20 miles ahead of us. I thought we got hit by a Mack truck!! On the same flight, level on approach at 12k, same wake, this time by a 757. Spilled water on my pants twice in one day!

Just for reference on the dot high, do you also do it in imc. I feel like everyone but me and a few others does this but when I bring it up, the answer is always the same. No, they fly the glideslope in imc, so I will ask them why the difference is between vfr and imc.

ex208driver said:
why the difference is between vfr and imc.

Thats easy, the flight director won't give you guidance for a dot high and most people are too lazy to try to hand fly a raw data approach (or their company prohibits it).

Try putting the guy ahead of you just outside the 3 mile circle on the tcas. seems to work for me. Also, I have stayed on g/s and just rode the loc a dot either way. Again, just use good judgement.

Latest resources

Back