• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Virgin America Revenue...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Are you confusing the Alaska Air Group with Alaska Airlines? I can understand your ignorance if that is the case because many do...especially in the media. The below article was supposed to say "Alaska Air Group." The issue we are having is the branding of aircraft on Horizon's side that now say "Alaska Airlines" when in fact they are not. But as the union expert you are, I'm sure you understand there is a process to go through and that the pilots of Alaska Airlines cannot vote on scope issues with Horizon.

Alaska Airlines Announces Routes, Schedule For New Partner

2/25/2011 5:06 a.m.

SEATTLE — Alaska Airlines today announced that SkyWest Airlines will begin flying six West Coast routes currently operated by Horizon Air, starting May 14. The Utah-based carrier will fly the routes using five 70-seat Bombardier CRJ-700 regional jets it is acquiring from Horizon.

Alaska's partnership with SkyWest for CRJ-700 flying enables Horizon to fly the Bombardier Q400 turboprop exclusively.

If the contract was with Horizon, then I stand corrected.

However the marketing and ticket sales are being handled by Alaska Airlines, and the flights are operating with Alaska Airlines flight numbers. In other words this is Alaska Airlines branded flying. Are trying to argue that Alaska Airlines pilots have no scope protections regarding RJs and Alaska Airlines branded flying? If you do not, why on earth did your pilot group vote in favor of a contract that did not include scope protections for Alaska Airlines branded flying?

Unless you are arguing that Alaska Airlines marketing and selling tickets on flights with Alaska Airlines flight numbers is somehow NOT Alaska Airlines branded flying. Or you are claiming that this is in violation of the scope provisions of your contract, you cannot argue the fact that Alaska Airlines branded flying is being outsourced to non-union pilots in accordance with the contract approved by the ALPA pilots at Alaska Airlines.

I'm pretty sure that "AAG" could have SkyWest or VX for that matter fly 777s with Alaska Airlines painted on the side. Maybe I'm wrong. Educate me.

This, of course, has nothing to do with VX Revenue. I don't understand why every VX thread that NEdude contributes to ends up as a discussion about ALPA.

I'm pretty sure that "AAG" could have SkyWest or VX for that matter fly 777s with Alaska Airlines painted on the side. Maybe I'm wrong. Educate me.

Apparently so. I guess the pilots did not vote for scope protections.

This, of course, has nothing to do with VX Revenue. I don't understand why every VX thread that NEdude contributes to ends up as a discussion about ALPA.

Because it usually drags fubijaakr and others out of the sewer to claim that all Virgin pilots, and everything associated with Virgin, are evil because we are not ALPA. Does not matter the topic or point of the claim, he drags the ALPA issue into it. So I like to point out the foolishness of his belief that ALPA is flawless and makes everything perfect, which gets us here.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that Fubi's complaint isn't that you're not ALPA. I think it's that you're non-union completely. It's not an ALPA issue.

If the contract was with Horizon, then I stand corrected.

However the marketing and ticket sales are being handled by Alaska Airlines, and the flights are operating with Alaska Airlines flight numbers. In other words this is Alaska Airlines branded flying. Are trying to argue that Alaska Airlines pilots have no scope protections regarding RJs and Alaska Airlines branded flying? If you do not, why on earth did your pilot group vote in favor of a contract that did not include scope protections for Alaska Airlines branded flying?

Unless you are arguing that Alaska Airlines marketing and selling tickets on flights with Alaska Airlines flight numbers is somehow NOT Alaska Airlines branded flying. Or you are claiming that this is in violation of the scope provisions of your contract, you cannot argue the fact that Alaska Airlines branded flying is being outsourced to non-union pilots in accordance with the contract approved by the ALPA pilots at Alaska Airlines.

How can I reason with someone that has no idea what they are talking about? My pain threshold for holding your hand through this has come to a limit. I get it now that you think you are somehow validating your non-union existence while sticking it to Fubi at the same time. Here's a bit of advice if you want it: don't opine on another airline's CBA if you don't know what's in it. Do a little research on an issue to avoid sounding ignorant. And last, put Fubi on your ignore list if he gets you do riled up that you would lose credibility. He just likes pulling your chain and getting a reaction.

Because it usually drags fubijaakr and others out of the sewer to claim that all Virgin pilots, and everything associated with Virgin, are evil because we are not ALPA. Does not matter the topic or point of the claim, he drags the ALPA issue into it. So I like to point out the foolishness of his belief that ALPA is flawless and makes everything perfect, which gets us here.

1. I don't think we've been called "evil."
2. If we are, it's not because we aren't ALPA.
3. You seem to drag ALPA into this more than any other person in these threads.
4. As much as I dislike the guy, I don't agree that he believes that ALPA is flawless and makes everything perfect.

It would help if you would step back a little bit and calm down. There are plenty of legitimate gripes about how poorly we are compensated and how that makes it harder for other pilots to justify their pay.

How can I reason with someone that has no idea what they are talking about? My pain threshold for holding your hand through this has come to a limit. I get it now that you think you are somehow validating your non-union existence while sticking it to Fubi at the same time. Here's a bit of advice if you want it: don't opine on another airline's CBA if you don't know what's in it. Do a little research on an issue to avoid sounding ignorant. And last, put Fubi on your ignore list if he gets you do riled up that you would lose credibility. He just likes pulling your chain and getting a reaction.

Since your contract isn't in the public record, can you please correct us on what scope protections you have?

Assuming you voted "yes" on your last contract, and assuming you have no scope protection, doesn't NEdude have a point?

Since your contract isn't in the public record, can you please correct us on what scope protections you have?

Assuming you voted "yes" on your last contract, and assuming you have no scope protection, doesn't NEdude have a point?

Why would you assume we have no scope protection? Alaska Airlines scope clause says all flying will be done by pilots in the seniority list. But....we cannot stop the Air Group from starting another airline, scoping out Horizon flying to Skywest or even buying another airline like Hawaiian and running them as a separate op like Horizon. The rebranding of Alaska Airlines livery on Horizon and Skywest planes is being worked on but it's a process. NEdude thinks ALPA can negotiate whatever we want when really its a case of give and take. At least we have a seat at the table to push for things important to us vs having no say.

Perhaps you could point out the crappy wages from your own history. And how your UNION, like ours, eventually raised them through contract negotiations instead of trying to bully and embarrass me personally.

The propensity of you and your SWA cronies to continue to gang up on people who disagree with you is childish and ugly.

And you might also point out that while you were engaged in that battle, SWAPA union members were welcome to share in the negotiated Union privileges of other airline pilot unions.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back