• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Virgin America reduces hiring mins

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What is reserve like? Are you used often? Short call ? Long call ? How many days off?

Thanks

Reserve is 11-12 days off a month. Average month for me on reserve was around 50ish hours a month. 2 hour call out. Your reserve block of days starts off late, as in contactable at 330pm and on the hook until midnight, with the next day starting at 9am going to 630pm, and your last couple of reserve days starting at 330am and ending at 330pm. I liked the start late end early hours so you can commute in and out on the same day. Hope that helps.

Hate to break the news but the USA is hardly #1 anymore. Many overseas jobs blow away those at home and it would do Americans right to expose themselves and family to life outside their little myopic small town mentality.

That said, many of the nonsked carriers like Atlas and World pay MUCH more than Virgin America! They have rigs and higher hourly pay for one thing, but most of the guys I know there fly on average 78-82 hours a month and have 14-17 days off per month - often in 1 long block.

And they are often gone 30+ days in one block as well, often with wonderful layovers in places like Kabul and Lagos. I know several guys there as well. There are pluses and drawbacks to all of them, it is just a matter of what is more important to you.

I totally agree that the USA is not number one in pay anymore and like I said, the overseas jobs pay very well. I also agree that it would benefit many Americans to move overseas for a while, but for many Americans it is just not a viable option. Sometimes preparing to move overseas takes a few years of planning before it can happen. Not that I'd know anything about that.... ;)

Reserve is 11-12 days off a month. Average month for me on reserve was around 50ish hours a month. 2 hour call out. Your reserve block of days starts off late, as in contactable at 330pm and on the hook until midnight, with the next day starting at 9am going to 630pm, and your last couple of reserve days starting at 330am and ending at 330pm. I liked the start late end early hours so you can commute in and out on the same day. Hope that helps.

Good information.

Thanks

I know a regional FO who just got hired... not sure of his background in terms of PIC.. I think he flew turbine Otters for skydiving... guess thats turbine PIC.

I know a regional FO who just got hired... not sure of his background in terms of PIC.. I think he flew turbine Otters for skydiving... guess thats turbine PIC.

VX getting the CREAM of the crop. LOL!

NOT!

VX getting the CREAM of the crop. LOL!

NOT!

What's your definition of CREAM of the crop. Delta last year hired female ASA FOs with 2000 total time. Cream of the crop there, too.

Fubi, who do you work for? If you work for a regional airline, you need to look in a mirror before you make any statements against Virgin America.

Latest resources

Back