Virgin America is here

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
jehtplane said:
Dallas, you know since Delta closed. Terminal E is a ghost town, there last week, first time since Delta and ASA pulled out, what a change, plenty of gates there. I honestly think the Virgin Brand will do well.

Jetplane, I don't know how you do it, but just when I think you can't top your current Avatar.....You go and DO IT AGAIN!!!:eek: Lord HAVE MERCY!!!!

Tomct said:
Jetplane, I don't know how you do it, but just when I think you can't top your current Avatar.....You go and DO IT AGAIN!!!:eek: Lord HAVE MERCY!!!!

Thank ya, I will have a new one every month!

GuppyPuppy said:
General,

Long time, no type!

I have to disagree with you on this issue. I'm at JB now (used to be based in SFO with UA) and have seen more delays here on the east coast in 6 months than I did for six years based in the Bay Area. JB has made money with a high concentration in five of the most delay-plagued airports (JFK, EWR, LGS, BOS, FLL). Since SFO has very little LCC presence, I think that VA might do better than you expect. My disappointment is that JB didn't jump in there first.

GP

Didnt I read that JB lost money last 2 quarters, I think it was somewhere around 16 million and 42 million respectively. In that article it said it was deferring deliveries and plan in selling 3 to 4 A320s.

blackbox said:
Didnt I read that JB lost money last 2 quarters, I think it was somewhere around 16 million and 42 million respectively. In that article it said it was deferring deliveries and plan in selling 3 to 4 A320s.

OH, now you've done it. The Blue Crew will be haunting you!
It's 5 planes that they're trying to sell. Dave said that they were offered a very good price for them. Some on this board misinterpret that to mean that JB's making a profit selling five year old planes that are out of warranty. I suppose so, if you factor in A check costs and depreciated asset value. The devil's in the details, especially when it comes to accounting in the airline industry.

A close freind of mine was Virgin America's first pilot/checkairman hire. They currently have eight acft with another delivery next month. Proving runs will begin when the process looks good to the DOT. Pilot hiring will hopefully begin within 30-60 days.

Yes, Richard Branson is a foreigner. I would rather have him as opposed to some rich arab from a country that is not our friend...wouldn't you? Of course, Continental was 25% owned by SAS in the early '90s. It doesn't make them a Scandinavian controlled airline, does it?

Unfortunately, the airline industry that my father grew up with (EAL 1966-1990, UAL 1991-2001) no longer exists. I hate to admit it, but pilots are going to need to take a look at career choices and decide if they are willing to continue forward with the new reality.

There are so many opportunities outside of airline flying such as acft management, corporate flying, charter, etc. that it is unfortunate that so many pilots focus only on the airlines.

Good luck to all.

Mike

Cappy said:
There are so many opportunities outside of airline flying such as acft management, corporate flying, charter, etc. that it is unfortunate that so many pilots focus only on the airlines.

Good luck to all.

Mike

There are? Where? I live in the DFW area, appreciate any references. :D

Cappy--What's the pay for the check airmen? Thanks for the info.TC

Cappy said:
A close freind of mine was Virgin America's first pilot/checkairman hire. They currently have eight acft with another delivery next month. Proving runs will begin when the process looks good to the DOT. Pilot hiring will hopefully begin within 30-60 days.

Yes, Richard Branson is a foreigner. I would rather have him as opposed to some rich arab from a country that is not our friend...wouldn't you? Of course, Continental was 25% owned by SAS in the early '90s. It doesn't make them a Scandinavian controlled airline, does it?

Unfortunately, the airline industry that my father grew up with (EAL 1966-1990, UAL 1991-2001) no longer exists. I hate to admit it, but pilots are going to need to take a look at career choices and decide if they are willing to continue forward with the new reality.

Good luck to all.

Mike

Mike, glad to see you are still around. How's the Falcon treating you?

AA717driver said:
Cappy--What's the pay for the check airmen? Thanks for the info.TC

No kidding. We have photos of VA jets, "We are HIRING!!" quotes, rumours of all types, and not a peep yet about wages. Hmmm. I bet they are so high, they are being kept a secret so as to not anger shareholders. ;)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back