Virgin America is here

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dumb Pilot said:
Good luck to all that decided to quit aviation for good. But one recommendation for you, If you stop smoking don't seat in the smoking section. So go lurk in the sites that theme your current trade.

Yea, exactly.

Dumb Pilot said:
Good luck to all that decided to quit aviation for good. But one recommendation for you, If you stop smoking don't seat in the smoking section. So go lurk in the sites that theme your current trade.

Not so smart pilot, I am still on furlough from United. I will return when recalled AFTER a very long leave of absence. By then, my seniority should be enough to at least get me to a 767, vice the current slavery conditions that UAL pilots have to endure on the 737 and Airbus. I have no desire to work 90+ hrs/mo.

oldxfr8dog said:
You haven't flown for almost four and a-half years, you disdain the industry and lament that the big-dollar days are gone(me, too). Yet, you've posted over 640 times on an major airline board.
Back when you first got your commercial, was a quarter mil a year as a UA capt your only motivation? Maybe you should have invested all that money into something a little more solid. I mean the industry could be rakin' in the dough, but we all are just a physical away from unemployment.
Money isn't my only motivation.

I don't disdain the industry but I do have a huge beef with those pilots who are willing to lower this profession down to starvation wages and crappy work rules.
When I got my commercial, I was already a military pilot. My primary motivations for wanting to fly commercial were a) the paycheck and b) the quality of life that the airline industry afforded. Both have seriously eroded over the last five years.
My total flight training expenses are somewhere short of $4K; I spent extra $ getting my CFI/ME to be more competitive when I left the military. Had I not gotten the CFI/ME, my total expenses would be south of $2K. Where would you suggest that I invest all that money?

Andy said:
My primary motivations for wanting to fly commercial were a) the paycheck and b) the quality of life that the airline industry afforded. Both have seriously eroded over the last five years.

I don't remember receiving the UA ballot to vote on this TA's that the mainline pilots keep voting on giving away more and more flying. It seems that your beef is with your own UAMEC.
Enjoy your recurrent training after such a long period not turning a wheel and good luck

I spent extra $ getting my CFI/ME to be more competitive when I left the military. Had I not gotten the CFI/ME, my total expenses would be south of $2K. Where would you suggest that I invest all that money?

Therapy

My problem, and I'm sure it's echoed by others, is that our secondary skills have totally deteriorated. I have a degree in chemistry which I worked very hard for, but my knowledge is now that of a high school junior. It just trickled out my ears after 20 years of flying.

I could at one time been a programmer, but the coding field changes so rapidly, you must be involved continuosly or you'll never keep up with the technology.

It's very tough to maintain a second skill set that remains attractive to employers.

Dumb Pilot said:
I don't remember receiving the UA ballot to vote on this TA's that the mainline pilots keep voting on giving away more and more flying. It seems that your beef is with your own UAMEC.
Enjoy your recurrent training after such a long period not turning a wheel and good luck.

Well, you fly for Pinnacle, right? I don't remember voting on any other airline's TAs either; why would you expect to be able to vote on the UAL TA?
As for UAMEC, I do have a beef with them giving away far more than was necessary.
Thanks for the kind words on my training; I look forward to it. About six years after being recalled (I'll be on LOA for a few years); I'm shooting for not turning a wheel for ten years. Piloting is not rocket science. You've indicated that in your posts about the green newhires at PNCL.

Dumb Pilot said:

I'd say that by your resume (Flying since the 80s, 10.5K hrs, now working for PNCL), you've only got one skillset. If you've got a beef with me complaining about pilots who don't have the foresight to plan for contingencies, fine. I would say that my comments are aimed squarely at individuals such as yourself. I hope that you see the light before you turn 60 and are forced to retire - get off you a$$ and get another skillset or it'll be Walmart greeter for you.

Gorilla, I agree that it can be hard to keep up certain skillsets. IIRC, you're a fighter pilot, correct? You've got a security clearance; there are consultant jobs out there looking for ex-mil with clearances. If you look a while, you should be able to find one that'll hire you part time. It's ALWAYS good to have a safety net.

I'd say that by your resume (Flying since the 80s, 10.5K hrs, now working for PNCL), you've only got one skillset. If you've got a beef with me complaining about pilots who don't have the foresight to plan for contingencies, fine. I would say that my comments are aimed squarely at individuals such as yourself.
Again, just like you jump to the conclusion that the folks that went to Skybus had a checkered past. Just because they don't leave aviation in an attempt of solidarity with their ALPA brothers and sisters to raise the bar. You are making assumptions here as well.
Not everyone has your views about flying Andy.
I am at PCL by choice, just like you said. the QOL and salaries at just about all major carriers has degraded so much that I'm simply not interested to go make $25 or $30 an hour and be in reserve for years and starting to commute. I rather relegate flying to a paid hobby (Like I have it right now) and tend to my own company. So much so that I don't have my paperwork anywhere. I did the major carrier gig, I did the cargo, corporate. I get my flying kicks out of the CRJ just fine. Actually, a Piper Cub is more down my alley.
My primary motivations for wanting to fly commercial were a) the paycheck and b) the quality of life that the airline industry afforded. Both have seriously eroded over the last five years.
Some of us really like to fly, we didn't get into it just for the money as you did because I believe that this two reasons that you stated are the two wrong reasons, I like the fact that I'm not commuting, my schedules have a good amount of days off so I can do my wheeling and dealing and still get to fly while thay are paying me to do so. not much, like you said. nowhere near the amounts of money that you are doing with your refined side skills. but 90K a year for a side paid hobby is not bad.
About greeting people at Walmart. I own stock there, I can give you a letter of reference if you current gig goes bust.
I agree with you about having more than one skill set, I learned that when Eastern went under. Where you and I don't agree is in your branding and passing judgement of people without first hand knowledge.

Take care

Dumb Pilot said:
but 90K a year for a side paid hobby is not bad.

You're making $90K/yr at Pinnacle? And it's a side hobby?
Here's the payscale:
http://airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/regional/pinnacle.html

I'll cut you slack and max you out on the payscale @$82/hr as a 15 yr captain. That's 1100 hrs/yr for $90K. Either you make less than $90K or you are working your tail off. Either way, I question your credibility.

Dumb Pilot said:
Where you and I don't agree is in your branding and passing judgement of people without first hand knowledge.

You are lowering the bar in this profession, just as scabs lower the bar. I don't know have first hand knowledge of scabs' stories and I don't care. There's always an excuse.

Dumb Pilot said:
Some of us really like to fly, we didn't get into it just for the money as you did because I believe that this two reasons that you stated are the two wrong reasons

I didn't get in it just for the money. I got in it for the money AND quality of life. They may be the wrong reasons; I don't care. I used to be a starry eyed young buck who loved to fly, but commercial flying is boring and the thrill completely left me after 9/11 (it didn't help that I knew one of the FOs who got his throat slit). In order for me to fly commercially, I need to be compensated at a level that I am worth. I can only assume that you value your skills well below where I value mine.

Latest resources

Back