• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Virgin America hangs as its hedge fund owners get antsy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Its all about TODAY, Ace. You and your buddies are undercutting my contract TODAY.

Your contract is your problem. I see a lot of "Me Me Me" in all your comments. You are the very image of what you are accusing others of, but you can't see it.

Thanks for nothing.

Certainly, you are welcome.

It's called competition. Happens all over the place. Have you ever comparison shopped for an item?

EXACTLY! DO SOMETHING ELSE! I guess you think you aren't capable or smart enough to find other work. Perhaps you know yourselves better than we do.

If your job and pay suck so bad then maybe it's YOU that should find another job. That's if you are capable or smart enough of course. ;)

Its sad that you are a really bitter person. I pity you really. Must be rough getting up every morning and looking at Mr. Sourpuss in the mirror. Well if you ever want to actually enjoy coming to work PM me. I'd love to walk in your resume. Don't worry my friend. We can take that frown :( and turn it upside down :)! We may not be the highest paid group in the land. But I can tell you no one enjoys their job more than we do. Just let me know when you are ready to leave the dark side! :p

Obviously.

Then let me make it perfectly clear for you.

1. Your highest paid Captain TODAY makes $100 an hour.

Wrong

2. That rate is 35% below what our highest paid Captain makes TODAY.

What year are you comparing?

3. We're negotiating a new contract TODAY.

Good luck with that one.

4. Our managment says, "TODAY our biggest competitor is Virgin America. TODAY they have a 30% labor cost advantage. In order to compete with that labor cost advantage TODAY we want you to either take pay cuts OR reduce the cost of your benefits. That way we can compete with Virgin America TODAY on an equal playing field."

So vote with your feet, stand up to management and strike and be a real tough guy, not just an internet tough guy.

Its all about TODAY, Ace. You and your buddies are undercutting my contract TODAY.

Me me me, its all about you.

Thanks for nothing.

And thank you for the same...enjoy your day :)

You guys can go round and round all you want. Face it, if VA works and you got hired on at VA early it's a great spot to be in. Where else can you make $100/hour and log airbus PIC in your second year. Not to mention you'd be sitting at the top of the seniority list for the rest of your career. Management knows this and that's why they offer the crap pay. For many pilots this is a better deal (although a gamble, but what isn't these days) than waiting to get hired at a major. It's the free market. For better or worse this is what we're stuck with and guys have to make decisions based on their own needs. It is extremely selfish to argue that someone give up an opportunity at a better life when you have nothing to offer other than wait your turn or go away and do something else.

Obviously.

Then let me make it perfectly clear for you.

1. Your highest paid Captain TODAY makes $100 an hour.

2. That rate is 35% below what our highest paid Captain makes TODAY.

3. We're negotiating a new contract TODAY.

4. Our managment says, "TODAY our biggest competitor is Virgin America. TODAY they have a 30% labor cost advantage. In order to compete with that labor cost advantage TODAY we want you to either take pay cuts OR reduce the cost of your benefits. That way we can compete with Virgin America TODAY on an equal playing field."

Thanks for nothing.

Well, as much as I do agree VA (or Branson really) is lowering the bar for airline pay. I do not agree that VA is a threat to any airline out there. Your company is only using them as a tactic. VA is not even sure they will be here in 90 days form now. So, TODAY, your company should read the news..(and I know very well that they do)..and stop using VA as a barganing tool with your pay rate. They are doing it because they can. VA is ZERO competition with any established airline out there. Let them fill there 3 or 4 planes to capacity, they are losing money on every pushback. But, got to hand it to your company they are very sneaky in trying to get you to believe VA is a threat. Just stall them for a few months.

You guys can go round and round all you want. Face it, if VA works and you got hired on at VA early it's a great spot to be in. Where else can you make $100/hour and log airbus PIC in your second year. Not to mention you'd be sitting at the top of the seniority list for the rest of your career. Management knows this and that's why they offer the crap pay. For many pilots this is a better deal (although a gamble, but what isn't these days) than waiting to get hired at a major. It's the free market. For better or worse this is what we're stuck with and guys have to make decisions based on their own needs. It is extremely selfish to argue that someone give up an opportunity at a better life when you have nothing to offer other than wait your turn or go away and do something else.

That is very well said. I do not think there is a person on this board who would not take a job at VA if there was nothing else was out there. UA has cut pay and benefits so much; who would ever want to stay there? People do. It pays the bills and it is what you love to do..fly. So, why is a guy trying to make a living at VA any different? One could almost argue that UA really is the culprit at getting pilot pay where it is today. If they were not so greedy back in the late 90's ( slowing down traffic, costing the company tons of cash and almost ALL their business customers) then they would have not filed for BK. Sorry, I like the rest of you want to make $500/hr (who wouldn't) but reality is a pilot is not worth that. If we were, we would be paid that, passengers would pay 4 times the fares today. They never will. If you run your airline right, (ie: SWA), then you can both make money and pay your pilots well. If you run it poorly, (ie: UA), then you fall from grace and screw yourself and others in the industry on the way down. If UA pilots would have done it right back then, VA would pay more today.

Last edited:
Yep, it DOES irritate the pig.

Ok everybody, how long will it be before Sir Richard applies for and is granted U.S. Citizenship making the whole subject moot?

Ok everybody, how long will it be before Sir Richard applies for and is granted U.S. Citizenship making the whole subject moot?

He could do that but then he might have a problem with his UK Business don't you think? Which is more lucrative? VA America or VA Atlantic/Asia/Blue ect?

Latest resources

Back