• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Virgin America hangs as its hedge fund owners get antsy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think you're wasting your time. And I think you told me that once, too, when I was going 'round and 'round with the "our low wages don't/won't bring other airlines' wages" Allegiant guy :)

I've learned from flightinfo.com that's it's OK to massively undercut the prevailing wage as long as it is for the following reasons:

1) It's OK because we're a new airline
2) It's OK because ALPA sucks/it's ALPA's fault I lost my pension/job or insert other anti-ALPA sentiment
3) It's OK because I get to be home every night
4) It's OK because we have a great relationship with management
5) It's OK because it's a quick upgrade
6) It's OK because we don't fly to the places your airline flies to

I might have missed a couple.

That about sums up 80% of the Captains I fly with...

and you missed one...

"I got mine....$crew anyone junior to me."

I think you're wasting your time. And I think you told me that once, too, when I was going 'round and 'round with the "our low wages don't/won't bring other airlines' wages" Allegiant guy :)

I've learned from flightinfo.com that's it's OK to massively undercut the prevailing wage as long as it is for the following reasons:

2) It's OK because ALPA sucks/it's ALPA's fault I lost my pension/job or insert other anti-ALPA sentiment

Excellent post.

How about this one?:

7) It's OK because I got 6,000 stock options.

I know, I know. What was I thinking?

Never try to teach a pig to sing. Its a waste of your time and it irritates the pig.

I'm not following your logic here.

Obviously.

Until then your argument is about 4 years too early IMHO.

Then let me make it perfectly clear for you.

1. Your highest paid Captain TODAY makes $100 an hour.

2. That rate is 35% below what our highest paid Captain makes TODAY.

3. We're negotiating a new contract TODAY.

4. Our managment says, "TODAY our biggest competitor is Virgin America. TODAY they have a 30% labor cost advantage. In order to compete with that labor cost advantage TODAY we want you to either take pay cuts OR reduce the cost of your benefits. That way we can compete with Virgin America TODAY on an equal playing field."

Its all about TODAY, Ace. You and your buddies are undercutting my contract TODAY.

Thanks for nothing.

Do you guys have anything else in life to do besides post in-the-dark opinions polluted with bad grammar? Have you thought about getting a woman or a non-aviation hobby? Dare to dream, enroll at your local junior college and work on that "I'll do it someday" degree or even graduate degree? Wow! Perhaps volunteer, stare at the wall, anything?

Oh yes, thanks Chef. I forgot about that guy from Skybus who kept saying that.

Yeah, JB did the same thing. It was officially part of our "retirement" plan, that is until the stock dropped off a f-ing cliff. On our last pay and benefits review, they said that stock options were not considered or reviewed because they stopped giving them to pilots a year or so ago.

Poof! There went a part of our "retirement plan".

I have 9,000 at 12.74 -- hahahahaha.

Let me guess, many VA pilots went there thinking there was fortune and glory in those stock options.

I am in the severe minority (at JB) when I say that my own company (and pilot group) is part of the problem, and that now is the time (better late than never) to take charge of our careers and demand a better compensation package from management.
Others are more inclined to invoke that snazzy "It's OK" list of yours.

Do you guys have anything else in life to do besides post in-the-dark opinions polluted with bad grammar? Have you thought about getting a woman or a non-aviation hobby? Dare to dream, enroll at your local junior college and work on that "I'll do it someday" degree or even graduate degree? Wow! Perhaps volunteer, stare at the wall, anything?

Yep, perfect grammar.

Do you guys have anything else in life to do besides post in-the-dark opinions polluted with bad grammar?

Isn't that what internet forums are for?

Have you thought about getting a woman

Women scare me.

or a non-aviation hobby?

I only like airplanes. Right now I'm memorizing the maximum certified take-off gross weights of all Douglas aircraft build between 1921 and 1967 before McDonnell polluted the company. I'm hoping that knowledge will help me with the "Have you thought about getting a woman" statement above. Chicks dig that kind of stuff, right?

Dare to dream, enroll at your local junior college and work on that "I'll do it someday" degree or even graduate degree? Wow!

I can't get accepted to a junior college or a graduate degree program because my grammar is bad and when I have assignments to write, they tend to be in the dark, overly opinionated, and therefore graded poorly.

Perhaps volunteer, stare at the wall, anything?

I'm staring at a flat screen monitor. It's kind like a wall. But with pretty colors.

Oh crap. Wait a minute. Was that a serious post Laboule? Because if it was, I'm going to have to change my answers. Except the part about being scared of women. That part is serious.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back