• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Virgin America hangs as its hedge fund owners get antsy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sorry to hear it, guys. I was hoping VA would do well and become a solid airline in the future. Unfortunately you can't make money by flying expensive airplanes on long routes into expensive airports while charging minimal prices for tickets.
I'm absolutely convinced that VA's management has been lying in their financial reports and that they are extremely deep in debt.

Yes it's all over...just like AirTran, USAirways, United, Frontier, Sun Country ect. I wish I had a nickel for every time I have heard a death notice on an airline that's still flying. :)

Yes it's all over...just like AirTran, USAirways, United, Frontier, Sun Country ect. I wish I had a nickel for every time I have heard a death notice on an airline that's still flying. :)

You forgot Spirit, USA3000, Midwest, and JetBlue.

I am curious? VA is getting or has gotten the last 4 planes in their fleet until at least 2011. They can only add one more city this year and can not really add flights based on the fleet size. So, if they are losing about 630k a day (based on their reports), How again are they going to turn a profit? They fly to the most expensive cities, on routes that will never allow any higher fares than what they now charge and everyone says their loads at at records..or full. So, again, how will they make one dime? When nothing is changing? Actually, the fares keep dropping. Oh well, I do not know their big picture so, I give them the benefit of doubt and will hold them to their word..a profit in the last 2 quarters and a entire year of profit in 2010. Now, just curious what excuse they will use when this does not happen? I thought I read where they were going to have a fleet the size of JB by this time? I thought I read they were going to make a profit by first 1/4 2009? Bottom line, I do not see any airline being able to compete with SWA competition in the long run.

I hope someone will compete against Southwest. Otherwise the only thing that will be left over in the U.S. will be Walmart and SW. great!!!!! what a diversity. And they have one thing in common.the same clientel....

I am curious? VA is getting or has gotten the last 4 planes in their fleet until at least 2011. They can only add one more city this year and can not really add flights based on the fleet size. So, if they are losing about 630k a day (based on their reports), How again are they going to turn a profit? They fly to the most expensive cities, on routes that will never allow any higher fares than what they now charge and everyone says their loads at at records..or full. So, again, how will they make one dime? When nothing is changing? Actually, the fares keep dropping. Oh well, I do not know their big picture so, I give them the benefit of doubt and will hold them to their word..a profit in the last 2 quarters and a entire year of profit in 2010. Now, just curious what excuse they will use when this does not happen? I thought I read where they were going to have a fleet the size of JB by this time? I thought I read they were going to make a profit by first 1/4 2009? Bottom line, I do not see any airline being able to compete with SWA competition in the long run.

First of all, VA's business model was not to compete with SWA. Not now, not before, not in the future. VA's business model was to be more of a niche airline... moderate size to major airports and provide a superior product at reduced prices. Not sub SWA, prices... cheaper than UAL, AA, etc. though.

You don't see them making a profit? Okay, who cares? I don't see UAL ever making a profit again. Does anybody care? Nope, just like I don't care about the majority of the 'experts' on here, and what they are just positive will happen.

Anybody on this board of idiots ever take a business class? Start a business on your own? Anybody? Let me ask you this... If you did start a business on your own, surely you made a profit the first quarter right? No? Second? And no, I'm not talking about mowing lawns or a lemonade stand. I'm talking maybe a flight school... better yet, a store, a coffee shop, something like that.

Of COURSE VA has lost money. A lot of it. But for those of you who do have some sort of business background, it takes time to make money. But wait, doesn't matter... they are going to fail. Might as well all go home. But if you do look at the numbers... they lost less money as a percentage each subsequent quarter than the previous. Looks like a profit is possible. Imagine that.

The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me. Okay, enough of this... why doesn't everybody get back to how VA pilots are ruining everybody elses jobs, taking their women, and ruining the economy? Isn't that what all these threads devolve into anyway?

...provide a superior product at reduced prices.....

How can you charge reduced prices when you have a higher overhead cost? The airplanes are not as fuel efficient, the in flight entertainment system is heavy and costly, and VA is in and out of some of the most expensive airports. The only way you can provide "reduced prices" is to pay less to your employees. Have fun.

Anybody on this board of idiots ever take a business class? Start a business on your own? Anybody? Let me ask you this... If you did start a business on your own, surely you made a profit the first quarter right? No? Second? And no, I'm not talking about mowing lawns or a lemonade stand. I'm talking maybe a flight school... better yet, a store, a coffee shop, something like that.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Courier Service in London

Any further questions?

The big deal here was that Virgin America is a sham. It is a foreign owned airline operating in the US. The US investors were required to circumnavigate US ownership laws. It is clear that should not have been permitted.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Courier Service in London

Any further questions?

The big deal here was that Virgin America is a sham. It is a foreign owned airline operating in the US. The US investors were required to circumnavigate US ownership laws. It is clear that should not have been permitted.

You are so right. It's obviously a sham. You are so smart, obviously you belong in government work as you could have saved the industry from the 'sham' that is VA. But then again, it doesn't matter right? They can't make money, and will fail. So then, why do you care? Go on to the next subject to 'wow' us on your knowledge, experience, and superior intellect.

BTW... overhead is not higher... it's actually a lot cheaper. Fewer facilities, lower worker wages, newer airplanes with lower maint. costs, and I could go on... Just like JetBlue is able to operate cheaper than say UAL, DAL, AA etc... lower overhead is in part a reason. Granted that was an extreme oversimplification, but so was your question.

I find it hysterical that somebody by the name 'britpilot' is arguing against foreign ownership. Let not your heart be troubled, VA will fail. You said so right? Of course you couldn't be wrong could you?

Why don't you make fun of VA's uniforms now? Haven't seen that in a while. Anybody?

Latest resources

Back