• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Vindication for the Pinnacle TVC Crew

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was always taught to keep power in until at least 10ft, if not through the touchdown, in a swept wing jet. You guys are absolutely crazy to reduce to idle at 100ft. I guess a couple of slam landings will probably reinforce that view... Not sure if the CRJ is any different than any other jet (I can't see why it would be).. but even on a clean wing jet such as the F100 or DC-9-10/15, you kept the power in until at least 50 ft. On the Mad Dog and 75/76, you WILL go CRASH with a loud noise pulling it to idle at 100ft...

aa73 said:
You guys are absolutely crazy to reduce to idle at 100ft. I guess a couple of slam landings will probably reinforce that view... Not sure if the CRJ is any different than any other jet

Yes, it does land differently than other jets...the nose-down attitude throughout approach is just one example of it.

Personally, I did a major power reduction at 100ft (maybe 70-80% of what was in) and then pulled the rest out a couple feet above the runway; this allowed for a 'normal' nose-high flare and many, many rollers onto the runway.

I was always taught to keep power in until at least 10ft, if not through the touchdown, in a swept wing jet. You guys are absolutely crazy to reduce to idle at 100ft. I guess a couple of slam landings will probably reinforce that view... Not sure if the CRJ is any different than any other jet (I can't see why it would be).. but even on a clean wing jet such as the F100 or DC-9-10/15, you kept the power in until at least 50 ft. On the Mad Dog and 75/76, you WILL go CRASH with a loud noise pulling it to idle at 100ft...

The fact that it has swept wings has no bearing on the particular way an aircraft will decelerate when power is reduced to idle.
In the CRJ, the low drag of no leading edge devices and low AoA coupled with a higher ratio of idle thrust to weight all combine to validate the technique of beginning a power reduction at 100ft. Also, most operators still choose to add 5 kts to Vref on approach with a goal of crossing 50 ft above the threshold at Vref......

About an inch of reduction on the power levers at 100' and then to idle at 50'. That's what most are doing on the CRJ-200. That will keep it on the gs and still touch within 1,000' to 1,500' down the rwy.

You may have missed the point. A "wheelbarrow" is when you force the plane down the the runway, hit nose-wheel first with no mains on the ground. Not holding it off like it was a soft field.

I apologize. I misunderstood, thaks for clarifying that previous post.

I apologize. I misunderstood, thaks for clarifying that previous post.

No problem. I do agree with your comments on how some people insist on holding off the nose until the elevator runs out of steam. Much better to fly it down to the runway. Nothing says it can't be done smoothly, but you do want to get it down fairly promptly.

So where is the capt flying now? Heard a rumor that he's in India flying RJ's.....true? Hoping the best for him. Maybe he could get on with the FAA and put the squeeze on the mindless thugs that tossed him to the wolves to save their own skin?

No problem. I do agree with your comments on how some people insist on holding off the nose until the elevator runs out of steam. Much better to fly it down to the runway. Nothing says it can't be done smoothly, but you do want to get it down fairly promptly.

True that! My even bigger pet peeve is guys who touchdown, then RUN the stab trip on the yoke to FULL nose up to help pop the wheelie. So then you're rolling down the runway with the nose wheel up, and the stab trim runaway noise "bbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" going off. Seriously people?

Latest resources

Back