• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Vindication for the Pinnacle TVC Crew

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Vref + 5 is WAY TOO FAST... Thats why I pull the power to idle by 100 ft. Just a touch of trim in the flare and it works great every time.

I have seen a 200 greased on nose wheel first. I watched my CA do it and was quite disgusted and impressed at the same time. He was one of those guys who alway tried to land with a touch of power. I dont get those guys...

Vref + 5 is WAY TOO FAST... Thats why I pull the power to idle by 100 ft. Just a touch of trim in the flare and it works great every time.

Idle power in a swept-wing jet at 100 feet? :eek:

Glad that technique works out for you...

Idle power in a swept-wing jet at 100 feet? :eek:

Glad that technique works out for you...

Works great for me for 8 years..... unlike Fat Bastard.... I don't leave floaters.....

I put the jet were I intend too....(the 1000ft marker) not this extra energy floating in ground effect looking for a smooth landing, turning into a pax during the last 4 secs, accepting wherever the jet touchdowns....

Merry Xmas!

You folks that brought the thrust levers all the way to the stops at the 100' call are far braver than I was. I took quite a bit of power out at 100' and still ended up putting the airplane in the TDZ, but idle thrust? Even in the CR2 (a floating powerhouse, no doubt) that sink rate would make me uncomfortable in most wind conditions.

Guess that's why its called technique, eh?

Merry Christmas to all as well!

I used it all the time in the 200. No float either. I was able to get the first high speed on 10 numerous times, without much either. My technique works just fine unless there was wind shear. In that case, I'd pull the power about halfway back on the 100 call and idle at 50.

The 700 is a little bit different but if your ref+10 at the 100 call, you can still wipe the power. As the norm though, I pull about a knob out at the 100 and at 50, idle. The problem is with most guys, they are scared to death to flair the airplane. I had one guy jump on me and and say, "You almost stalled right at touchdown." My reply, "That is how it supposed to work, ain't it." He stayed ill about it but not another word.

(Also posted in Majors Forum)

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I was curious if a Pinnacle pilot would be willing to share what contaminated runway data they have in their books (MU / braking action) vs landing weight and runway required.

I believe the Pinnacle data goes above and beyond the minimum 121.195 (d) DRY and WET factored data that most airlines have. I'm curious what exactly is in the charts.

Not trying to blame the crew here, but didn't they not do a landing distance assessment which would have said they couldn't have stopped? I remember it depended on whether they used the compacted snow table or wet data. At any rate, I agree its all about getting it down and stopped in those conditions if you even elect to shoot the approach at all.

So I hope now the good Captain that we know he is, who already had very good lawyers on hise side in business before this happened is going to ream and pillage.

I didn't have time to read anything but the first message but had to comment for his sake.

Mike Robinson

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back