• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Various Continental Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
5-6 years to recoup your losses and then after that you are continually pulling away. That 5-6 year timeline is with our current contract. That's also assuming you aren't GUM based which lowers the timeline to recoup losses down to the 1-2 year timeframe. Since you can plan on a 30 year career if you get hired at 30 years old, that's about 25 years in increased earning potential over an RJ captain. The RJ captain also has no control over their current flying as it can be farmed out overnight. If taking a hit for 5-6 years but having job security and a retirement account with a couple million dollars more in it isn't worth it, well.....??? It's the easiest decision I ever had to make.

Don't let people like Pocono Pilot mislead you with dishonesty. He was unsucessful in his CAL interview and has been bashing CAL ever since. It's passed beyond the realm of sad to just plain pathetic. :(

It was 5-6 years of making less money, then another 5-6 years to make up for the lost money. So it's about 10-12 years to break even.

However, that is at the current rates. I calculated it based on guarantee. If you can credit 90+ hrs, even better. Don't get me wrong, I have my app in with CO and would go in a hearbeat. In the long run it would be better than staying at a regional.

Ummm not when you considder the fact of a 2 year upgrade!!!

I was thinking the same thing, do these guys know what the hell they are talking about?? Those that turned down this job two years ago due to the money might of made a big, big mistake. You want money go become a captain, your quality of life will be awful however. (reserve EWR, but big jump in $ though!)

Now it is true our contract is terrible, but people are still coming here. Why? Contracts come and go and these people believe CAL has the potential to have an excellent future.

Many of us are working hard to make this a great place to work, others are working hard at mocking CAL and LOL.

Also there are big rumors of other bases, just rumors though.

It was 5-6 years of making less money, then another 5-6 years to make up for the lost money. So it's about 10-12 years to break even.

However, that is at the current rates. I calculated it based on guarantee. If you can credit 90+ hrs, even better. Don't get me wrong, I have my app in with CO and would go in a hearbeat. In the long run it would be better than staying at a regional.

Uh your math isn't very good. First off junior cpt is now two years. If you want to stay f/o, 4th year blended 756 pay is about $90/hr, so unless your are a 15 year RJ Captain it would take you exactly 3 YEARS to make the same or more. After that it is far and away more. You can recoup everything in 5-7 years, or much less with the fast upgrade.

Please everybody stop responding to Pocohole. Without us responding to HIS idiotic statments he has no power. All he wants to do is badmouth CAL for whatever reason. Just ignore HIM and he will take his childish act elsewhere!

Uh your math isn't very good. First off junior cpt is now two years. If you want to stay f/o, 4th year blended 756 pay is about $90/hr, so unless your are a 15 year RJ Captain it would take you exactly 3 YEARS to make the same or more. After that it is far and away more. You can recoup everything in 5-7 years, or much less with the fast upgrade.

Please everybody stop responding to Pocohole. Without us responding to HIS idiotic statments he has no power. All he wants to do is badmouth CAL for whatever reason. Just ignore HIM and he will take his childish act elsewhere!

I did the math for all the majors using the same variables. I used the smallest equipment for the first 3 years, then the second smallest for 2 more years. I put upgrade at 10 years. With continental's fast upgrades and the ability to move into larger equipment than i figured, the payoff going to CO would be much faster than other majors.
I was rather conservative in figuring transitions and upgrades. Like I said, i'd go to CO in a heartbeat. I just don't want to be too optimistic in figuring how fast it will take to recoup the pay

I'll never lose a single day off during a training month.

Don't ever let them waste a minute of your time.

And btw, our B Fund is 12.75% and the company just announced another 2.75% match added to our 401k this year.

I did the math for all the majors using the same variables. I used the smallest equipment for the first 3 years, then the second smallest for 2 more years. I put upgrade at 10 years. With continental's fast upgrades and the ability to move into larger equipment than i figured, the payoff going to CO would be much faster than other majors.
I was rather conservative in figuring transitions and upgrades. Like I said, i'd go to CO in a heartbeat. I just don't want to be too optimistic in figuring how fast it will take to recoup the pay

Even if you take the smallest equipment, you must factor in blended rate because half of the airplanes are in this category. So you will still make a much or more then you make as an RJ captain in 3 years, at the most four.

Why are we comparing a legacy carrier with a regional? If you thing you are better off with an RJ fine. Remember who you work for and that you can be replaced. The contract we work under at CAL is a by product of Sept. 11. Things in my opinion can only go up from here. Where will you be when your 50? Going from CLE to SBN? Ill tell you what Ill probably be doing. New York to Rome. Dont kid yourself if you have the opportunity go. In two years these new hires are going to be making almost 12 grand a month. And thats with a ********************ty contract. If you dont have a number you cant play.

Latest resources

Back