Various Continental Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyf15

Various questions about Continental... sorry if some have been asked before.

1) Whats current hiring like? Are they planning on having it stay the same or go up/down?

2) Will the 787s be growth or replacement aircraft?

3) Is the 737 Classic fleet being phased out or maintaining size?

4) What is the junior base / aircraft? How long on reserve?

5) Does Continental have an ASAP program?

6) Anything a prospective applicant should know from those on the inside?

Thanks all, I appreciate it...

1. 500-700 new hires between now and next summer. Retirements are 200+/year plus 5% or so growth.
2. From what most say - growth, but I heard a talk of parking 767-200's. We have 10 of those.
3. Being maintained so far. During oct07 and through 08 15 737-500 will be sold to a Russian airline. 30 new 738's coming in 08 though.
4. EWR by far. Reserve on the 73 is measured in weeks. New hires in all FO categories.
5. Yes, of course.
6. Some hard years ahead in progress towards a real union, but that's where it starts. We have the potential to make it a very good place. The seniority progression is great though.

Thanks much for all the info... greatly appreciated. I have a couple more for anyone willing to take a bite...

7) How are the work rules over there? What does everyone love / hate?

8) Also... how is the relationship with management? Does it look like some real gains will be made in contract negotiations when they come up?

9) Is the general attitude of the pilots good?

10) For those of you who have recently gone there... do you feel you made the right choice?

Thanks much for all the info... greatly appreciated. I have a couple more for anyone willing to take a bite...

7) How are the work rules over there? What does everyone love / hate?

8) Also... how is the relationship with management? Does it look like some real gains will be made in contract negotiations when they come up?

9) Is the general attitude of the pilots good?

10) For those of you who have recently gone there... do you feel you made the right choice?

- Work rules are OK but should improve substantially with the next contract.

- I personally believe that Larry and Jeff have done a pretty good job considering what they have had to work with since 9/11. ie fuel prices
Yes, I am very optimistic about out next contract. I think it will be a major improvement.

- Most of the pilots are great. You will get your occasional weirdo or angry man, but usually it is a lot of fun to work with these people.

- I can honestly say that CAL was and is my number one choice. I really like it here a lot and the future looks great.

I hope this helps. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

DADDY69......what the heck are you talking about?

Mother******* like you are the reason why we have such a POS contract!! What's OK about it? Maybe you have different levels of ok!! It's OK to get a broom handle stuck up your arse....it's OK and better than a cactus. I guess so, you're correct!! Both will hurt, but it's OK....WTF? I really hate people like you.

Management is doing a great job? Define a great job.....is it because we're winning awards? We're making money? Is it because of managment or because the workforce is busting their ass? Again, you make me sick because you're completely clueless. How many hours did you fly in the last 4 months.....me....98.7, 117.3, 99.2, and 95.4. Most have credit beyond 115 hours a freaking month!!!

Good pilot group? Ya, I'll agree with you. But you can only roast marshmellows together for so long before.....well, who the heck cares? What's your point? If the pilot group sucked, would you leave your major airline job? What's your point? Again....you're clueless.

Hopeful for a new and better contract......jesus, where do I start? I'll just leave it at....define where to start?

Last edited:
- Work rules are OK but should improve substantially with the next contract.

What is OK with our work rules? Our work rules are a complete joke. Please tell me one thing positive about our work rules. If you like training on days off, then yes, they are ok. 9 days off a month during a training month-wonderful! Never being awarded what you request for your schedule-yeah, that's great. I'd imagine if you put CAL's work rules up against MESA's, you would be hard pressed to choose which one is worse.

That being said, I agree with your optimism that things are going to get a lot better--things can ONLY get better--how much depends on the pilot group as a whole.

One thing is for sure--if there wasn't so much movement and hiring going on, there would be many, many, more pissed off people at CAL.

One thing is for sure--if there wasn't so much movement and hiring going on, there would be many, many, more pissed off people at CAL.

I agree with that statement. The long work months, the bad schedules, the constant crew scheduling calls trying to junior man you SUCK. But the movement is good, it keeps pilots a bit more patient than they would under these "slavery" type work rules. The "hope" that things will get better very soon makes it just a little easier on the first year CAL pilots i know (especially the brand new hires with no health insurance and "food stamps eligible pay") Other that that those guys seem happy to have the potential for a bright futur.

DADDY69......what the heck are you talking about?

Mother******* like you are the reason why we have such a POS contract!! What's OK about it? Maybe you have different levels of ok!! It's OK to get a broom handle stuck up your arse....it's OK and better than a cactus. I guess so, you're correct!! Both will hurt, but it's OK....WTF? I really hate people like you.

Management is doing a great job? Define a great job.....is it because we're winning awards? We're making money? Is it because of managment or because the workforce is busting their ass? Again, you make me sick because you're completely clueless. How many hours did you fly in the last 4 months.....me....98.7, 117.3, 99.2, and 95.4. Most have credit beyond 115 hours a freaking month!!!

Good pilot group? Ya, I'll agree with you. But you can only roast marshmellows together for so long before.....well, who the heck cares? What's your point? If the pilot group sucked, would you leave your major airline job? What's your point? Again....you're clueless.

Hopeful for a new and better contract......jesus, where do I start? I'll just leave it at....define where to start?

Listen, I am just trying to positive. I absolutely do agree with you 100% that out contract needs A LOT of improvement! There is no question about that! I personally am ready to fight to get a better contract. I have worked for companies that have much worse contracts than we have. I am not saying that it is right, just trying to have a glass half full attitude, that is all.
I think we have a lot of new "blood" in the company and am absolutely positive that we will have one of if not the best contract in the industry in years to come. Trust me, I am on your side when you say that our work rules could use some improvements. OK, our work rules could use a lot of improvements in some areas.

As far as management goes, yes I do think they are doing an OK job considering all of the factors. Do I think we are underpaid and overworked? Absolutely yes! Is management complying with the current contract? I think for the most part they are. Do they ever violate the sh***y contract that we have? Sometimes. Do I think we are understaffed? ABSOLUTELY! Are we hireing pilots in large numbers right now? Yes. Are we hireing enough pilots? I doubt it. I am not saying that I think management is great, all I said is that I think they are doing an OK job with all factors in consideration.

I think our pilot group is getting better by the day. A lot of the 83, 84, 85 guys are out the door and I think we have a much more unified pilot group than recent years. I agree with you that we can only "roast marshmellows" together for so long. With a strong, unified pilot group I think we have a better shot at an improved contract, thats all I am saying.

As I said earlier, I defintely think there is a LOT OF ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT but CAL was and is still my number one choice. IT WILL GET A LOT BETTER!

Good luck to everyone!

Well, I turned down the job offer after I was given a class date.

So that should tell you something. Also, I hear a lot of new hires leave in the first year.

Flack jacket on. LOL

Well, I turned down the job offer after I was given a class date.

So that should tell you something. Also, I hear a lot of new hires leave in the first year.

Flack jacket on. LOL

It would take a long time to make up the money you lose going from RJ Capt to first year FO at CO. I figure it would be about 5-6 years until I make what I make now, then another 5-6 years to make up the money I would have lost. I don't blame you one bit.

Right now it looks like the only places it really makes sense to leave a RJ left seat job for is FedEx, UPS and Southwest. Everywhere else requires a lot of consideration.

Latest resources

Back