VA may get Dallas Love gates......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

General Lee

Alright Howie, looks like you were right. I just read VA may move their ops from DFW to DAL if they get the gates. I guess the E175s and 717s that were going to go there may go to the West Coast now instead. Oh well.

Looks like VA wants to do 4 flights a day each from Love to LAX, SFO, LGA, and DCA, along with two daily to ORD. That means direct competition with you guys Howie on 4 of those (excluding ORD). DL wanted to do LAX, LGA, MSP, and DTW with E175/CR9s, and 717s to ATL. I'd say the DL plan would have been better for you guys.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Alright Howie, looks like you were right. I just read VA may move their ops from DFW to DAL if they get the gates. I guess the E175s and 717s that were going to go there may go to the West Coast now instead. Oh well.

Looks like VA wants to do 4 flights a day each from Love to LAX, SFO, LGA, and DCA, along with two daily to ORD. That means direct competition with you guys Howie on 4 of those (excluding ORD). DL wanted to do LAX, LGA, MSP, and DTW with E175/CR9s, and 717s to ATL. I'd say the DL plan would have been better for you guys.

Did Glee just admit he was wrong and I was right? Amazing!

Obviously SWA has a huge incentive to outbid anyone for the gates, IF they are allowed to bid.

Finally a comfortable seat commute on to DAL. Evolve interior is crap. How long is SWA going to treat the customers like a burden that has to crammed into a seat and moved from A to B to C to get to D?

Did Glee just admit he was wrong and I was right? Amazing!

Obviously SWA has a huge incentive to outbid anyone for the gates, IF they are allowed to bid.

Yeah yeah yeah..... Anyways... Btw, DL is still saying they are continuing to bid on these gates. I guess VA obviously wants them, and it will be up to the Govt to decide. Probably looks better for VA, but you never know...

Bye Bye---General Lee

If VA pulled out of Orange County (which is a cash cow for every carrier), how long will they last at Love? What's the over/under?

If VA pulled out of Orange County (which is a cash cow for every carrier), how long will they last at Love? What's the over/under?

Yeah, with those $49 fares that SW was charging SNA/SFO in the beginning, I'm sure the route was a real "cash cow". :)

Given the background of VA's senior management, I would bet that they are confident in their success. Don Carty is the current VA Chairman of the Board and David Cush, the current VA CEO, was at AA for 20+ years in senior management/marketing. I don't get the impression that this move is any sort of knee jerk reaction.

S

And that he's touting two former AA managers that helped American into bankruptcy, but left before the shoe could hit the ground. I'm not sure Carty or Cush are anything to get excited about. And the CFO is a disaster.

And to your line of thinking regarding the $49 fare, what's to keep SW from lowering the fare on the VA routes out of DAL? The Orange Co remark still stands. Unbelievable wealthy passengers that want to travel. It's tough to NOT make money in SNA. ie, cash cow.

I hope it works out for them, but historically it doesn't look stellar.

Last edited:
Confident in their success? You do realize they have yet to make money?

Please define "make money", so that the discussion can be on a point. From what I have read (mostly surrounding their future IPO), it seems as though 2013 was likely profitable for the full year.

Fwiw, there is a difference between confidence and hubris, as you may have unintentionally demonstrated. :)

S

Latest resources

Back