• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAPA sues some America West Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That case is still ongoing. Didn't situation, though, since that case has absolutely zero merit. The West pilots have a clear DFR case here. There's simply no disputing it.

"Zero merit". Really. The Appelate Court of Appeals decided several years ago we had "merit", and now the case is in front of a judge and we are currently in the "discovery" phase. Depositions of witnesses, defendants, and plaintiffs is ongoing, including such pillars of the ALPA union regime as Duane Worth.

The legal process is a very, very long road. But the hard part, proving you have merit, has long since been established. If you don't have "merit" then the case gets thrown out, and that time passed about 3 years ago.

I don't know your case in very much detail, I just hope there is some money left at ALPA after we get done with them for you guys to get some too.

"Zero merit". Really. The Appelate Court of Appeals decided several years ago we had "merit", and now the case is in front of a judge and we are currently in the "discovery" phase. Depositions of witnesses, defendants, and plaintiffs is ongoing, including such pillars of the ALPA union regime as Duane Worth.

Yes, the RJDC wankers got this far too. They ended up settling after eight years of legal wrangling because they had no case. They got partial reimbursement for legal bills (still seven figures out of their own pockets) and a lip-service addition to the Admin Manual. You'll be lucky to even get that when it's all said and done. No case whatsoever.

PCL: you can't make a comparison between the RJDC case and the TWA case because the issues are completely different. There's no doubt in my mind Woerth wanted to woo the APA into rejoining and thus sold out the TWA pilots. The case most definately has merit as will be shown during discovery. Whether that translates into a win and damages remains to be seen.

And BTW, my hands have flown all those ex-TWA 717's you're flying now. Be good to them.

The best solution is for this place to go out of business all together. You see that way we can rid the earth of the east scab mentailty...

WD.

For someone who marches around at work professing to be a "pilot advocate " that is one strange "best solution" you got there. Tell me, if this place does "go out of business all together" ,who would this be "the best solution" for ? You ??!!?? GMAFB. You might want to start thinking things thru a little bit more before posting. Not everyone here east or west has a bunch of coin operated laudromats to fall back on. And even if we did it wouldn't even come close to covering the bills . And you know it. Oh and by the way, "uncle" sends his regards.....

PHXFLYR:cool:

There's no doubt in my mind Woerth wanted to woo the APA into rejoining and thus sold out the TWA pilots.

You may not doubt it, but I certainly do. There was no ongoing campaign to recruit the APA, and ALPA certainly did nothing to "sell out" the TWA pilots. Your independent legal advisors told your MEC the best course of action, not ALPA National, and the ultimate decisions rested with your own MEC. The case won't bring you a dime.

And BTW, my hands have flown all those ex-TWA 717's you're flying now. Be good to them.

Wonderful planes. I just hope we can hang on to them through this economic downturn. :(

There was no ongoing campaign to recruit the APA,...
Apparently the money trail shows differently.
Your independent legal advisors told your MEC the best course of action,...
You're not referring to Roland Wilder, are you? We only thought he worked for us. We were wrong as proven in November, 2001, when he was about to file court papers for us but Woerth ordered him not to -- and he obeyed.
The case won't bring you a dime.
IMHO you're probably right but that doesn't change anything.

Cactusboy, thanks for posting that info. Any chance that you guys can set up a Paypal account to receive donations? I'll be happy to contribute, but that would make it much easier.

PCL;
I'm sorry that it took so long to get back to you. My information is that there is no PayPal account set up at this time. If you still wish to help, this is the address to send contribution to:

“AWA PILOTS LEGAL EXPENSE TRUST”
3626 WEST GLASS LANE
PHOENIX, ARIZONA 85041

Again, thank you for your concern and commentary.

Regards.

ALPA threw themselves under that bus and several others. As far as getting sued goes; one would think that if you have enough intelligence to get your airline job you have enough intelligence to know when you are breaking the law. I don’t feel sorry for them.
it amazes me how many people actually think ALPA is the party to blame for the situation of East pilots. ALPA is NOT an organization that runs via a central power telling individual airlines what to do. Each airline's MEC makes their own decisions and simply rely on ALPA National for legal, economic, etc advice.

Here's how things played out for USAirways East pilots:
They elected their own representatives out of their own pilot group to make their decisions.
East pilots, not ALPA, went into this merger asking for DOH.
When told that DOH is a pipe dream and will not happen, East pilots, not ALPA, kept their current DOH "strategy" and let their members expect the same.
When it came to select an arbitrator, East and West pilots, not ALPA, selected an arbitrator.
When told by the arbitrator to bring to the table a position other than DOH, East pilots, not ALPA, came back to the table with nothing more than DOH.

There is no "nic was the straw that broke the camel's back" argument for getting rid of ALPA, because Nic was a result of the East's negotiating positions, NOT ALPA. Could Nic have been more fair to the east pilots? Sure, but that would have probably required the bunch of east pilots making their own decisions to bring something other than DOH when the freaking arbitrator says, "bring me something other than DOH".

East pilots need to stop blaming someone else for decisions that THEY made.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back