USAPA and the Domicile meeting for PHX/LAS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
get2flyin,

I am being perfectly honest. I believe USAPA must behave in a manner consistant with it's stated purpose, which is to represent us all.
BC

Since your being honest. I'll ask you an honest question.

Do you believe the DOH list with it's conditions and restrictions. Is consistant with representing ALL LCC pilots fairly.?

To be fair I should mention that at the Oct 29th Court hearing the Judge after hearing an explanation of the C & R's usapa wants, he described it as a Pure Win for the east and a Pure Loss for the west. How would that be considered representing everyone fairly??

Are you suprised that you didn't hear that bit of info in the usapa update?

Fast

BeCareful,

Since you are a facts finding mission, ask the USAPians how any west pilot could be a member when the C&BL's state(d) that all members must be accepted by a domicile rep. Please read the C&BL's yourself, as I think you will find the answer to this question before you ask your leadership.

BeCareful,

Since you are a facts finding mission, ask the USAPians how any west pilot could be a member when the C&BL's state(d) that all members must be accepted by a domicile rep. Please read the C&BL's yourself, as I think you will find the answer to this question before you ask your leadership.

Guppie,

Good question and here are the facts. The 643 west pilots were accepted as members the exact same way the most of the east pilots were accepted as members upon initial start up of the union. On day one, there were no domicile reps to vote in all the new members, so they were accepted automatically. This procedure is widely used in circumstances like these.

The C&BLs have only been amended to make an alternate procedure perfectly clear because the west seems to be trying to invent new ways to proclaim that USAPA is somehow not abiding by the laws and regulations that cover this sort of thing.

Since your being honest. I'll ask you an honest question.

Do you believe the DOH list with it's conditions and restrictions. Is consistant with representing ALL LCC pilots fairly.?

To be fair I should mention that at the Oct 29th Court hearing the Judge after hearing an explanation of the C & R's usapa wants, he described it as a Pure Win for the east and a Pure Loss for the west. How would that be considered representing everyone fairly??

Are you suprised that you didn't hear that bit of info in the usapa update?

Fast

No, not surprised. Yes, I believe DOH is fair. I think the judge's comments are one man's opinion, and I don't know the full context of them (only what I'm reading here on the Internet.) I would only view DOH with C&Rs as a loss to the west in reference to the Nicolau "award." That private ALPA2ALPA arbitration was such a windfall that it caused the east pilot group to wake up....and that, friends, is quite a feat. US Air pilots have thus far been some of the most apathetic blue collar bubbas in all of aviation. It took something as utterly stupid as Nicolau's "award" to wake them up to the piss poor job ALPA had been doing for them.

But that "award" is not the starting point from which you guys can now judge everything. It's not being used, and for the good of the company I hope it never does. You need to look at the reality of today, the reality of your powerful west coast bases, the reality that even with DOH+C&Rs you'll eventually have access to flying that was never, ever going to be a part of AWA's portfolio absent this merger. It would probably be helpful, while your looking at all this reality, if you'd get over the notion that anyone "saved" anyone by listening to your leadership out there the next time they tell you that the merge was a necessity for both airlines, and that outside capital funded it. I think it will be about the 20th time they've said it; I usually don't drink the mgt coolaid either, but in this case it might be best to take their word for it and move on.

So DOH is fair? That means if I get hired at Airline A , only to get furloughed a year and a half later for a period of lets say 8 years;during which time my company gets purchased by Airline B, I should get credit for my company imposed exile? Is that what you're implying ? You don't want a seniority list. You want a longevity list where you get credit from day one whether your on the property or furloughed . Ain't gonna happen....

PHXFLYR:cool:

Last edited:
Guppie,

Good question and here are the facts. The 643 west pilots were accepted as members the exact same way the most of the east pilots were accepted as members upon initial start up of the union. On day one, there were no domicile reps to vote in all the new members, so they were accepted automatically. This procedure is widely used in circumstances like these.

The C&BLs have only been amended to make an alternate procedure perfectly clear because the west seems to be trying to invent new ways to proclaim that USAPA is somehow not abiding by the laws and regulations that cover this sort of thing.

Hmm..... Isn't USAPA trying to invent new ways to proclaim that they don't have to abide by the binding arbitration?

I don't care what your interpretation of the C&BL's is, I just want you to read them. The company already sided with the west on this issue and USAPA had to make amendments. Expect more of the same.

It's funny reading your post that sells DOH to us. Oh gee, a 1991 hire at AWA, that is a captain, could fly to Europe on a 767 out of PHL..........................................................................................as a first officer! No thanks, we already have a seniority list.

If nothing else, you junior easties are predictable.

Last edited:
No, not surprised. Yes, I believe DOH is fair. I think the judge's comments are one man's opinion, and I don't know the full context of them (only what I'm reading here on the Internet.) I would only view DOH with C&Rs as a loss to the west in reference to the Nicolau "award." That private ALPA2ALPA arbitration was such a windfall that it caused the east pilot group to wake up....and that, friends, is quite a feat. US Air pilots have thus far been some of the most apathetic blue collar bubbas in all of aviation. It took something as utterly stupid as Nicolau's "award" to wake them up to the piss poor job ALPA had been doing for them.

But that "award" is not the starting point from which you guys can now judge everything. It's not being used, and for the good of the company I hope it never does. You need to look at the reality of today, the reality of your powerful west coast bases, the reality that even with DOH+C&Rs you'll eventually have access to flying that was never, ever going to be a part of AWA's portfolio absent this merger. It would probably be helpful, while your looking at all this reality, if you'd get over the notion that anyone "saved" anyone by listening to your leadership out there the next time they tell you that the merge was a necessity for both airlines, and that outside capital funded it. I think it will be about the 20th time they've said it; I usually don't drink the mgt coolaid either, but in this case it might be best to take their word for it and move on.

So we can be clear. The current accepted list that was generated by a process agreed to by all parties at the time. Is the Nicolau list. It was accepted the same day it was recieved by the Company. So if usapa wants to change it. They are obligated to abide by their Duty of Fair Representation to all pilots members or not, to do so fairly. Case law shows that a union can not favor the majority at the expense of the minority. The Judge after hearing an explaination of the list C & R's and all, remarked that it was a pure win for the east and a pure loss for the west. So how will usapa get this past a DFR challenge even if the Nic list is found to not be binding. I'm sure usapa will say that's just his opinion but, it is his that counts.

Fast

Can you tell me when the PHX crewroom meeting will be? Seems that the USAPA braintrust was in PHX and forgot to hold one, please ask. Also ask about section 29 for East members that are members of USAPA or not members, would hate for that to be the next hold up in my eventual check to USAPA(Because USAPA represents and prosecutes the East and West the same....NOT!)

Crewroom meetings? Wasn't the west MEC chairman told to leave the crewroom in CLT (or was it PHL?) prior to USAPA and that crewrooms were company property and not permissable for union business? Now the company is allowing USAPA to hold meetings in the crewroom?

Rumor has it that Parker just named his new Yorkie puppy Bradford, and he gets to sleep inside too.

BeCareful, you are really missing the fundamental issue here.

The "Nic" was a process agreed to by both parties, and it is a legal binding document. I don't care what you think, that is the law. It is the cornerstone of business in the this country. If it was just a nifty looking package of papers it already would have been thrown in the trash, and USAPA would have gotten you your new shiny contract in two weeks like they promised.
Also, DOH was not part of ALPA merger policy at the time. It was removed, in part by actions taken by the AAA pilots. So how in the world would one expect to receive something that isn't part of the deal. By signing the agreement to arbitration, the East MEC put their fate into the arbitrators hands, not by force, but willingly.

And just by changing representation does not make that decision null and void. Period.

And I have a friend that is an east pilot, 99 hire, and my friends and I get the real deal coming from USAPA, right from him, so I am not uninformed. Just furloughed out of seniority order.

Let the stupidity continue........

Last edited:
get2flyin,

I am being perfectly honest. I believe USAPA must behave in a manner consistant with it's stated purpose, which is to represent us all. So far, I have found no evidence to the contrary (since I do not consider Internet rants to be factual evidence.) But that the company was allowed to do this is a travesty, and trust me, they are doing it this way in order to further divide us. It's the most often run play in their playbook.

Having said this, I will look into the grievance that was supposed to be filed. Suspiciously not mentioned on the website right now, even though I'm sure there was mention of it in a recent update.

I'll be at the crewroom meeting in PHL tomorrow and I will get answers and post them when I can. If you're there and I'm wrong, the Burbon Chicken is on me.

BC

BC~ Looks like you won't be buying me any Bourbon Chicken today. I just spoke with one on my "reps" *(no, not a USAPA member, a guy who actually "represents" West pilots) and he tells me you are (gulp) correct...but your facts are a little skewed. There was initially NO grievance, but one was filled after USAPA was sued for DFR. My source tells me, "They(USAPA) have made no public communications about the matter, and according to company sources, they never even complained about it." That's why there isn't any comment on the USAPA web board....much like there wasn't any notice of the PHX USAPA meeting. It isn't the transparent organization they'd like you to believe. Bottom line, your East brothers are holding out on you.

Regardless, while the grievance was eventually filed, nothing has happened that would indicate "our" so called "union" is doing much to intercede in the current furlough methodology. The second round of furloughs occurred 11/1 and as of today, 98 West pilots are unemployed. How many do you have East of the Mississippi?

If you get a chance, ask your Rep when USAPA might be pursuing that grievance. Thanks for following up on that....

Latest resources

Back