• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAirways Bid results

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You are available for either a 4-day or 5-day block of reserve days. Unless they run out of reserves you will likely fly your trip and go home. If they run out and you are doing a day-trip on the front of 5 days of availability, you may get tagged. This doesn't happen very often due to the need to confirm the connection of the crew. It's a better bet for the scheduler to call out a fresh reserve that risk one arriving late or timing out.

For commuters a tag beats buying a night in a hotel. While I might not like some of the reserve provisions in the contract, the schedulers know the contract and I haven't had any real issues with them. The 4 and 5 day limitations are the real issue, not tagging.

PIT, STL, MCI, LAS, BWI, LGA, BOS...You get the point. Today's economy is tomorrows obsolescence. Airline business plans change on a weekly basis. Pilots careers are ball and chain attached to these.

The sky is falling! The sky is falling! Dude; Phoenix is the SIXTH most populated city in the US. Also has one of the largest metropolitan areas by population. KPHX is one of the TEN busiest airports in the nation for passenger traffic with a $90 million daily economic impact. On a typical day:
  • More than 1,200 aircraft arrive and depart
  • More than 100,000 passengers arrive and depart
  • More than 600 tons of air cargo is handled
I find it amazing that just because there has been discussion to move SOME aircraft /flights to CLT/PHL bases if/when we get a joint contract, you have somehow managed to make this into a base closure. Are you really that obtuse, or are you perhaps following direction from USAPA /Cleary??

You do REALIZE that the home office for the airline is in (or at least near) Phoenix??

Dean Wormer's advice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK-Dqj4fHmM

You could read the West contract on the company website and get informed or past bs around sounding like a dope, your choice.

Your choice to be a flaming (insert whatever you like here) as my question was an actual one.. If you notice the inquiry as to how it worked over there. yes I could read the contract, and interpret how ever I chose to do so, which is probably where some of your proclaimed BS is coming from, as there are little nuances between how a contract is administered and what is actually written in the text.

For the response after yours, Thank you...

You are available for either a 4-day or 5-day block of reserve days. Unless they run out of reserves you will likely fly your trip and go home. If they run out and you are doing a day-trip on the front of 5 days of availability, you may get tagged. This doesn't happen very often due to the need to confirm the connection of the crew. It's a better bet for the scheduler to call out a fresh reserve that risk one arriving late or timing out.

For commuters a tag beats buying a night in a hotel. While I might not like some of the reserve provisions in the contract, the schedulers know the contract and I haven't had any real issues with them. The 4 and 5 day limitations are the real issue, not tagging.

thanks for the explanation, how 'bout the idea of trashing both reserve systems, and coming up with something livable?

HAHA, Ask PIT how that worked out for them.......just sayin'....

Well there is that. Biggest bunch of commuters ever. I don't think you can compare PIT vs. PHX, and I really don't see a PHX base closure as we stand.

What burns my cookies is Kirby (I think) made a statement that there was MORE money to be made on the east coast. So that's just great. More money is usually a good thing. Why not get more airplanes and hire more pilots for that flying? Further, it looks like there is a resurgence in LAS (Spirit, Alegiant, SWA have picked up our flying that we used to do). Why not go and do a little growth there in earnest? I'm still waiting for Doug to call me and ask my opinion.

A merge with AA? Possible PHX closure. You should look at the dynamics when you start looking at all the bases and the varied flying. It interesting to say the least.

Let's all hope the new contract doesn't just give us the current east or west rules, we should strive for better.

Last edited:
thanks for the explanation, how 'bout the idea of trashing both reserve systems, and coming up with something livable?

STOP! You can not use logic on flightinfo, especially when posting about east and west. I thought everything had to be negative. Nice to see some real folks are still out there. OH yeah, I'm with you on getting a better system for us all.

Union is fine. People running it or involved is the problem, not all of them just the chosen ones. I've always said there are two types that gravitate towards Union work. Those which truely feel they can make a positive change or help towards the working conditions for their fellow pilots. Then there are those which gravitate towards the work for the myriad of other reasons. They want the power, the feeling of being a manager or "CEO" of something, They really don't like to fly, especially during those icky summer and winter months where those white things hang in the sky, Same as previous reason but they still dig the uniform, and can wear it around the neighborhood to impress the desperate housewives, has figured out that flying the line is a GRIND, and well I can get a full month pay check by sitting in the union, etc etc etc...You know the reasons.

Either way, about 90% of the people are in it for the second reason and 10% for the first, AND those 10% are usually sitting in the middle of some sub committee doing scheduling work, etc etc, some little nuiance which they are good at. Those guys usually get burnt out in short order or really know how to juggle their union time.
The first group?!?!?! Ever wonder how someone can be so involved, yet when spoken to, is so clueless? Yup, that's a classic sign, woerthless.

I guess my point is, yup it's screwed up, yup it's going to be screwed up. Bottom line we don't have a contract to vote on, and I highly doubt anyone one the west could get one out of the company either. Unless it was similar to Kirby or LESS with the NIC, company be glad to offer that.... No scope, no increase or an actual decrease to whatever is in your contract, Get rid of a number of sticky things from our contract. Etc Etc

Rant over...

Latest resources

Back