Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAir East West NIC Award Resolution? Very soon!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
USAPA never intended to negotiate a contract in good faith to produce the document that would implement the NIC. This ruling merely allows them to continue to stay the course (which has been down the tubes thus far). No case has been heard to decide whether or not the NIC is binding on USAPA because there is no penalty for "intent to fail to represent".

Frankly, the pilots east and west are getting what they deserve for failing to press hard for the elimination of USAPA and it's DOH requirement. No one has tried to get the cards out for a representation vote.

Behold the power of inertia!

And if we merge and become APA... Who are they gonna sue???

You miss the entire point of the court case.

The company was asking the court to provide them with a clear cut answer so they don't have to be the bad guy.

They wanted the court to say either;

1. You are not a party to the transition agreement that you signed earlier and are immune to liability should you discard an arbitrated award. This would allow the company to negotiate with USAPA without fear of losing an otherwise strong case filed by the west pilots.

or

2. You absolutely can not deviate from the arbitrated award. In which case they could go to USAPA and say; "Hey we would like to negotiate with you but our hands are tied..."

The court has essentially said "The 9th circuit said the courts can't step in and make a decision until after an agreement (contract) is ratified in which case the interested parties can come back to court and sue on the merits. (Addington)

The court punted so the company's ass is still out in the breeze.

Next step - The company will appeal Judge Silver's opinion to the 9th circuit.

Long story short, the answer to your question is it's the company who will be sued, which is why this was on Judge Silver's desk.

USAPA? A seniority merger won't go into affect until an SOC, single operating certificate, which UAL still doesn't have after 2 years. I would think that might be enough time to sue someone, right? If a different seniority list is submitted, then it could happen, and USAPA would have to submit one to an arbitrator to get the process rolling.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:

USAPA and APA agree to LOS with APA, and fences to protect APA 777s and 747s. No arbitration needed, the companies make a rush deal to get the merger done, and everyone can move on, including everyone that wants to sue about DOH or NIC, whatever.. knock yourselves out. Don't forget to include ALPA as a defendant. They are at fault for something, always..:D

APA sends USAPA an e-mail telling them what they decided to do. That's the extent to which APA will negotiate with USAPA. Maybe they'll use a Hummel hand puppet.

I just got to my overnight and logged on and saw a thread that said "the Nic is dead"... I tried to read the thread but it wouldn't let me... I log out and back on and it's gone! Really? Where did that thread go??? What was said today in court??

USAPA? A seniority merger won't go into affect until an SOC, single operating certificate, which UAL still doesn't have after 2 years. I would think that might be enough time to sue someone, right? If a different seniority list is submitted, then it could happen, and USAPA would have to submit one to an arbitrator to get the process rolling.

Bye Bye---General Lee

UAL received their Single Operating Certificate November 30, 2011. They don't yet have a single seniority list (SSL). Two separate things, SOC is granted by FAA, SSL is negotiated by the unions.

I just got to my overnight and logged on and saw a thread that said "the Nic is dead"... I tried to read the thread but it wouldn't let me... I log out and back on and it's gone! Really? Where did that thread go??? What was said today in court??

2 Oct 2012 USAPA Communications Committee

PHX Declaratory Judgment Proposed Decision

Oral argument in the Phoenix Declaratory Judgment case was held earlier today (October 2, 2012) in Phoenix. Judge Silver distributed a proposed decision that, if it becomes final, will grant summary judgment to USAPA, holding that USAPA is free to pursue any seniority proposal, and need not advance the Nicolau award. The proposed decision is not appropriate for distribution until it becomes final because there may be changes.

The argument lasted for more than an hour and included counsel for US Airways, the West Pilot Class and USAPA. Counsel for US Airways and the West Pilot Class argued that the decision should be changed in various respects. Counsel for USAPA reiterated that USAPA was prepared to engage in serious, genuine discussions with the West Pilots over the seniority proposal, and was hopeful the parties would continue to work together to achieve a new comprehensive collective bargaining agreement.

The argument was attended by more than 100 pilots including President Gary Hummel, Secretary-Treasurer Rob Streble and Executive Vice President Steve Smyser. President Hummel stated, “USAPA stands ready to negotiate a contract for all of our 5000 pilots, whether through a merger or otherwise. We are long overdue a contract that brings us up to par with our peers at other airlines such as Delta and United. Now that this obstacle has been removed, we will immediately petition the National Mediation Board to resume section 6 contract negotiations.

The final Order and the transcript of the argument will be posted as soon as they become available.

USAPA Communications

You miss the entire point of the court case.

The company was asking the court to provide them with a clear cut answer so they don't have to be the bad guy.

They wanted the court to say either;

1. You are not a party to the transition agreement that you signed earlier and are immune to liability should you discard an arbitrated award. This would allow the company to negotiate with USAPA without fear of losing an otherwise strong case filed by the west pilots.

or

2. You absolutely can not deviate from the arbitrated award. In which case they could go to USAPA and say; "Hey we would like to negotiate with you but our hands are tied..."

The court has essentially said "The 9th circuit said the courts can't step in and make a decision until after an agreement (contract) is ratified in which case the interested parties can come back to court and sue on the merits. (Addington)

The court punted so the company's ass is still out in the breeze.

Next step - The company will appeal Judge Silver's opinion to the 9th circuit.

Long story short, the answer to your question is it's the company who will be sued, which is why this was on Judge Silver's desk.

Now THAT was a good explanation. Bravo! The low wages will continue until the company finds out if IT could get sued.

Bye Bye----General Lee

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back